Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Game has descended into a ball retention training session for Dublin.

GJL

Dubs could have 5 or 6 goals. Derry defence is very open.

yellowcard

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 02, 2023, 03:16:12 PM
Some finish that if he meant it.. That should be it. 4-6 to 0-10.

Looked like a mis hit shot for a point given the lack of pace on the shot.

anportmorforjfc

Ulster really is wide open!

twohands!!!

Quote from: yellowcard on April 02, 2023, 03:13:54 PM
Every other county in Ulster will be re-evaluating Derry after today. They've run out of ideas since early second half and haven't coped well with the loss of Glass.

The Derry system doesn't seem to work as well when they are having to chase a game.

Also you would think the Dublin's tendency to score goals and create goal scoring chances is a fair bit higher than a lot of other teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dublin got more goal chances today that Derry will give up in the whole of the Ulster championship.

I'd still give Derry a serious chance of winning Ulster.

mrdeeds

Dublin's tackling is cynical and bordeing on assault.

marty34

Quote from: Brendan on April 02, 2023, 03:04:57 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2023, 03:03:15 PM
Quote from: Brendan on April 02, 2023, 02:58:38 PM
2 goals gifted to the Dubs by the ref, soft pen and a square ball

Don't think it was. When the ball was kicked, you can move into rectangle.

This was coming from 1 st half. Dublin should have had a couple of goals.

Best thing for Derry to keep head down and not get a hammering.  Especially after the semi-final last year.

Con ran in after the kick, O'Gara got the last touch and he was already in the square

If so, doesn't matter.

Dubs upped their game and took their chances. Could have had a heap of goals.

The thing is, if you said beforehand that Dublin would score 6 pts (probably a few frees in that) Gallagher would be delighted with that.

A week's time or so, this'll be forgot about as the championship kicks in.

imtommygunn

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 02, 2023, 03:18:56 PM
Every other county in Ulster will be re-evaluating Derry after today. They've run out of ideas since early second half and haven't coped well with the loss of Glass.

The Derry system doesn't seem to work as well when they are having to chase a game.

Also you would think the Dublin's tendency to score goals and create goal scoring chances is a fair bit higher than a lot of other teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dublin got more goal chances today that Derry will give up in the whole of the Ulster championship.

I'd still give Derry a serious chance of winning Ulster.

They're a very good team. They don't have enough depth if they lose a key player like glass and Dublin are just better. Dublin are better than almost any team in the country though.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

GalwayBayBoy

Strange game. Dubs have only scored 6 points and are 7 points up.

Not sure they've even been all that great but Derry defence was all over the shop without McKaigue.

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2023, 03:16:16 PM

Different standard though is the only thing.

They are not a whole lot different from last year really. Unlikely anyone but Tyrone would beat them still I think.

Yes in fairness the Dubs went up a gear in the second half but they're still a team in decline and I thought Derry looked very poor today. I think there's 4 or 5 teams could beat them on that display, they've very little scoring power outside McGuigan and were badly exposed at the back today. It was a 7 point defeat but really could have been 14 in the end.

twohands!!!

Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2023, 03:21:03 PM
Quote from: Brendan on April 02, 2023, 03:04:57 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2023, 03:03:15 PM
Quote from: Brendan on April 02, 2023, 02:58:38 PM
2 goals gifted to the Dubs by the ref, soft pen and a square ball

Don't think it was. When the ball was kicked, you can move into rectangle.

This was coming from 1 st half. Dublin should have had a couple of goals.

Best thing for Derry to keep head down and not get a hammering.  Especially after the semi-final last year.

Con ran in after the kick, O'Gara got the last touch and he was already in the square

If so, doesn't matter.

Dubs upped their game and took their chances. Could have had a heap of goals.

The thing is, if you said beforehand that Dublin would score 6 pts (probably a few frees in that) Gallagher would be delighted with that.

A week's time or so, this'll be forgot about as the championship kicks in.

I'd say the big worry is how Derry's attack performed - made the Dub defence look like world-beaters

Blowitupref

FT Dublin 4-6 Derry 0-11.  The Dubs haven't gone away. Back to drawing board for Derry as if they defend like that in the championship it will be early exit for them.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

harryR

Derrys fitness didn't seem to be as good as it was last year. Seemed out on their feet after 10/15 of the second half

From the Bunker

Referee Liam Deveaney getting a tough time there.