Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2023, 02:30:07 PM
Pulling a jersey is the easiest example of deliberate foul, he's not intending of playing the ball he's pulling the top to restrict the player from moving at pace, most referees will note certain fouls and tell the player he's been noted, the ref will inform him so the player knows that the next foul he commits will be a yellow..

The player commits a noting offence and he's got a yellow, whether that's his second or first, he done it, he's taking responsibility to do that.

So I'll ask the question again, is persistent fouling ok providing its 'soft' fouling?

He most definitely didn't restrict the player from moving at pace, Rock didn't even notice he was being impeded. And if you think Maguire was persistently fouling yesterday then I'd question your own judgement as well. If he had been then I'd have no problem with him being sent off for a personal foul. The big surprise is the extent to which people are willing to defend those decisions yesterday. 

Armagh18

Pulling a jersey is the easiest example of deliberate foul, he's not intending of playing the ball he's pulling the top to restrict the player from moving at pace, most referees will note certain fouls and tell the player he's been noted, the ref will inform him so the player knows that the next foul he commits will be a yellow..

The player commits a noting offence and he's got a yellow, whether that's his second or first, he done it, he's taking responsibility to do that.

So I'll ask the question again, is persistent fouling ok providing its 'soft' fouling?
Do you think either red card yesterday was correct? Would you have given them? Genuine questions.

tbrick18

Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2023, 01:51:48 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on February 20, 2023, 01:46:16 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2023, 01:44:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2023, 01:27:08 PM
This is nuts.. the rule is there for persistent fouling... so you want no cards for persistent fouling only a dig to the chops would suffice? Strange

It's not nuts at all. What IS nuts is suggesting that it was a legitimate sending off. If you call it as a free kick then by the very letter of the law it was but you will have a free riddled stop start contest which infuriates spectators. But if you call it as a yellow card offence then you will have very few players left on the pitch and the game will descend into chaos where every decision becomes contested (which actually happened after the totally avoidable incident).

The inevitable outcome of this scenario is that players will not foul persistently as the ref will eventually issue the yellow card. And so the game can flow freely to the joy of all spectators.

If you want a sport like basketball with no contact where tackling becomes almost redundant then fine. But we have to ask is that the type of game we actually want to watch. I certainly don't but others might. Also lets debunk this myth that he deserved to be sent off for persistent fouling. Absolutely nobody watching that matchfrom the start yesterday would have said that Maguire warranted anything close to a red card.

I absolutely do not want a sport like basketball.
We have rules which permit tackling and physical shoulder to shoulder contact.
We don't need to change the rules, we need them to be applied consistently. Only then will players stop trying to get away with breaking the rules.
What you are missing is that Maguire didnt get a straight red. He got a yellow twice....to the letter of the law both yellow's looked correct.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 20, 2023, 02:49:26 PM

Do you think either red card yesterday was correct? Would you have given them? Genuine questions.

I've already said before in previous posts, I didn't see the fouls and nor am I judging them. My post was referees are there to stop persistent fouling and if a player is persistently fouling in a game he is walking a tightrope with the rules, its not your take on the game that matters, its whether or not the referee will apply them loosely or tightly, in the case yesterday he looks like he enforced it tightly..

Personally I'm fast and loose with the rules if I'm being totally honest ;D, steps (if being impeded I give a couple more) tough physical challenges on the ball, I very rarely card or even red card for that matter, its usually someone telling me about off the ball stuff that is outta my control then.

But the simple one to give a foul for is pulling or tugging a jersey, its deliberate whether the player feels it or not. I can't or I'm unable to know whether that player feels that tug or it impeded his run, its just an easy one to give, I'll try and allow it to go on and play advantage, let it develop but its not even up for debate, its a foul and if you do it a lot, expect  to be finally carded for it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

toby47

I see Dessie Farrell has said Mannion is still a few weeks away. Where are Paddy Small & Brian Howard at the moment, are they injured?

tbrick18

Quote from: toby47 on February 20, 2023, 03:39:02 PM
I see Dessie Farrell has said Mannion is still a few weeks away. Where are Paddy Small & Brian Howard at the moment, are they injured?

I hope they have as few available as possible and that Jack Mc decides to leave the panel before the Dubs visit Celtic Park :)

Gael85

Howard was away travelling and only returned this week. Came on as sub for Raheny yesterday in a league game. Back for Dublin in coming weeks.  Comerford, Small, Murchan, Bugler and Paddy Small all injured. Will be a couple Crokes lads to come back with Mannion.

Armagh18

Quote from: Gael85 on February 20, 2023, 04:19:04 PM

Howard was away travelling and only returned this week. Came on as sub for Raheny yesterday in a league game. Back for Dublin in coming weeks.  Comerford, Small, Murchan, Bugler and Paddy Small all injured. Will be a couple Crokes lads to come back with Mannion.
League games being played already?

Wildweasel74

So you can get a yellow card for 3 minor tugs/ fouls in a game or a minor head high decapitation effort resulting in the same card, go figure.

seafoid

Dublin are playing at Division 2 standard.
Meath lost to Derry. Can anyone other than Dublin beat them?
Is promotion a foregone conclusion?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 20, 2023, 06:14:31 PM
So you can get a yellow card for 3 minor tugs/ fouls in a game or a minor head high decapitation effort resulting in the same card, go figure.

If I pull someone's jersey and then the next foul i commit is pulling his arm and then I pull his jersey that's 3 fouls, that's (to me) being persistent... have you a number in your head that eventually you'll find is persistent enough to warrant a card?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Derryman forever

Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 06:42:11 PM

Would it be Derry Arrogance , do you think , to say that Derry could lose any of theirfour remaining games.
Kildare must surely pull out one great game in this competition especially as they creep closer to the void. Dublin are improving game on game, Cork are also improving each week and Clare awill be looking forward to a reckoning .
So if you don't think this is Derry arrogance I would say Derry are not unbeatable,  unless the 4 remaining managers want to bring the same level of Naivety to the game as Colm O'Rourke did.

seafoid

Quote from: Derryman forever on February 20, 2023, 07:32:51 PM

Would it be Derry Arrogance , do you think , to say that Derry could lose any of theirfour remaining games.
Kildare must surely pull out one great game in this competition especially as they creep closer to the void. Dublin are improving game on game, Cork are also improving each week and Clare awill be looking forward to a reckoning .
So if you don't think this is Derry arrogance I would say Derry are not unbeatable,  unless the 4 remaining managers want to bring the same level of Naivety to the game as Colm O'Rourke did.
Derry were sloppy, if not arrogant, last year with their approach to the last 2 matches against Connacht teams, especially Roscommon. 
I don't see any sign of that this year. Cork versus Derry should be interesting,

Derryman forever

Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 07:36:45 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on February 20, 2023, 07:32:51 PM

Derry were sloppy, if not arrogant, last year with their approach to the last 2 matches against Connacht teams, especially Roscommon. 
I don't see any sign of that this year. Cork versus Derry should be interesting,

So you accuse me of Arrogance up the board and now want to pretend that you were referring to last year's Derry games?

But Derry while possibly being sloppy last year were never arrogant  and still aren't.
They were very unlucky against Roscommon and totally outmatched by Galway  in both Games.
I am hoping that what I have seen of Derry so far this  year is indicating that they have come on a bit, and hopefully,young McEvoy will maintain his form to allow Brendan Rogers more freedom.  Young Murray and Mc Williams seem to be staking a claim. And Paul Cassidy and Niall Toner are growing jn confidence. And Ethan Doherty has a great deal to give yet.

Gael85

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 20, 2023, 04:20:45 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on February 20, 2023, 04:19:04 PM

League games being played already?

First round of games yesterday.