Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Tubberman on February 19, 2023, 04:47:39 PM
Absolutely ridiculous.  I know the ref said it was for 3 fouls, but ffs, a man can't get sent off as a result of a slight jersey tug out on the sideline

Except he can when it is for persistent fouling. 3rd foul, however innocuous, warrants a yellow card. He was already booked so referee was correct to give him a second yellow. 

yellowcard

Anyone trying to justify those red cards in the Cork v Dublin game either didn't watch the match or needs to give their head a good wobble. Two of the most bewildering decisions I have seen in a long time. The same as any player would be dropped, that referee needs demoted after yesterdays inept display.

RedHand88

Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2023, 12:25:09 PM
Anyone trying to justify those red cards in the Cork v Dublin game either didn't watch the match or needs to give their head a good wobble. Two of the most bewildering decisions I have seen in a long time. The same as any player would be dropped, that referee needs demoted after yesterdays inept display.

Didnt see the Dublin one so cant comment, but the Cork one is a second yellow for persistant minor fouling. People commenting on the 10second clip of the last foul out of context havent seen the ones before hand.

yellowcard

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 20, 2023, 12:36:18 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2023, 12:25:09 PM

Didnt see the Dublin one so cant comment, but the Cork one is a second yellow for persistant minor fouling. People commenting on the 10second clip of the last foul out of context havent seen the ones before hand.

I watched the full match and I didn't think it was a free kick never mind a yellow card. Slowed down there was a very minor jersey tug which I don't think Rock even noticed nor would Dublin have expected a free kick for it. A fussy referee would blow the free kick and leave it at that and if thats his style of refereeing then I could live with that even though I don't like fussy referees looking for infringements at every point of contact. But to award a yellow card was ludicrous and absolutely nobody was expecting it. I suppose it all depends what type of a game you want gaelic football to be. But if you want no contact then there would be free kicks awarded constantly and you would have a lot of players sent for an early shower every match. After that bad decision the game descended into a farce where every refereeing decision was held in contempt. But the referee created it himself by lowering the bar for receiving a yellow card to a ridiculous level. 

Armagh18

Yeah let the game go on. Shouldn't be issuing red cards unless it's a strike or something dangerous, or there has been loads and loads of fouls. Ruins the game completely.

Milltown Row2

This is nuts.. the rule is there for persistent fouling... so you want no cards for persistent fouling only a dig to the chops would suffice? Strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2023, 01:27:08 PM
This is nuts.. the rule is there for persistent fouling... so you want no cards for persistent fouling only a dig to the chops would suffice? Strange

It's not nuts at all. What IS nuts is suggesting that it was a legitimate sending off. If you call it as a free kick then by the very letter of the law it was but you will have a free riddled stop start contest which infuriates spectators. But if you call it as a yellow card offence then you will have very few players left on the pitch and the game will descend into chaos where every decision becomes contested (which actually happened after the totally avoidable incident).

tbrick18

Yeah I'd have to agree.
Rules are rules, should be applied consistently (think 17 players on the field for the last play)

The problem a lot of people have now is that there has been no consistent application of the rules for so long that when a ref does apply them he's hounded for not letting the game go.
Persistent fouling is a yellow card. That's in the rules.
The the ref deems a player to be consistently fouling he's within his right to issue a yellow. Whether or not that player is already on a yellow shouldn't come into the decision making at all. I would expect that to the letter of the rules, the ref was correct with both sendings off.

tbrick18

Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2023, 01:44:05 PM

It's not nuts at all. What IS nuts is suggesting that it was a legitimate sending off. If you call it as a free kick then by the very letter of the law it was but you will have a free riddled stop start contest which infuriates spectators. But if you call it as a yellow card offence then you will have very few players left on the pitch and the game will descend into chaos where every decision becomes contested (which actually happened after the totally avoidable incident).

The inevitable outcome of this scenario is that players will not foul persistently as the ref will eventually issue the yellow card. And so the game can flow freely to the joy of all spectators.

yellowcard

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 20, 2023, 01:46:16 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2023, 01:44:05 PM

The inevitable outcome of this scenario is that players will not foul persistently as the ref will eventually issue the yellow card. And so the game can flow freely to the joy of all spectators.

If you want a sport like basketball with no contact where tackling becomes almost redundant then fine. But we have to ask is that the type of game we actually want to watch. I certainly don't but others might. Also lets debunk this myth that he deserved to be sent off for persistent fouling. Absolutely nobody watching that matchfrom the start yesterday would have said that Maguire warranted anything close to a red card. 

shawshank

The alarming bit of this for me from reading some of the replies of agreeing on the second yellow, was the refs inability to read that the player didn't realise he had pulled the jersey and once he did, you can see from his body language, he stopped it immediately lifting his hands into the air to show his error. The pull did not impeade the forwards movement in any way. This guy is just a poor ref, and any ref who defends should consider retiring.

twohands!!!

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 20, 2023, 01:44:20 PM

Yeah I'd have to agree.
Rules are rules, should be applied consistently (think 17 players on the field for the last play)

The problem a lot of people have now is that there has been no consistent application of the rules for so long that when a ref does apply them he's hounded for not letting the game go.
The the ref deems a player to be consistently fouling he's within his right to issue a yellow. Whether or not that player is already on a yellow shouldn't come into the decision making at all. I would expect that to the letter of the rules, the ref was correct with both sendings off.

Always seems a complete cop-out to me that people would blame the ref for "not letting the game flow".
"Not letting the game flow" is just GAA speak for letting cheaters get away with breaking the rules.
It's not the fault of a referee if the game is stop-start with frees, it's the fault of the players committing the fouls.

Armagh18

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 20, 2023, 02:00:13 PM

Yeah I'd have to agree.

Always seems a complete cop-out to me that people would blame the ref for "not letting the game flow".
"Not letting the game flow" is just GAA speak for letting cheaters get away with breaking the rules.
It's not the fault of a referee if the game is stop-start with frees, it's the fault of the players committing the fouls.
That yellow yesterday was perfect example of where the game should be let go. No need to call a free, wave play on ffs, Rock was happy enough yo play away

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 20, 2023, 02:08:54 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 20, 2023, 02:00:13 PM

Yeah I'd have to agree.

That yellow yesterday was perfect example of where the game should be let go. No need to call a free, wave play on ffs, Rock was happy enough yo play away

He was happy enough to play away because I doubt if he even felt the minimal jersey tug. Dublin were just as dumbfounded as Cork at that sending off. But again the argument isn't even over the foul which you can legitimise by the letter of the law. The argument was over the brandishing of a ludicrous yellow card. 

So is every foul now deemed to be cheating? Because not every foul is intentional. It sounds like some lads on here must be spending too much time in committee rooms waving a rulebook in their hand. Anyway I expect that referee will probably get promoted up to division one now for this weeks round of fixtures!

Milltown Row2

Pulling a jersey is the easiest example of deliberate foul, he's not intending of playing the ball he's pulling the top to restrict the player from moving at pace, most referees will note certain fouls and tell the player he's been noted, the ref will inform him so the player knows that the next foul he commits will be a yellow..

The player commits a noting offence and he's got a yellow, whether that's his second or first, he done it, he's taking responsibility to do that.

So I'll ask the question again, is persistent fouling ok providing its 'soft' fouling?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea