Laois Senior B Hurling Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Group A
16 August

19:00 Ballyfin CLG vs Naomh Fiontáin Maighean Rátha    

19:00 Clonaslee St Manmans/Cluain na Slí Naomh Meanmain vs Colt/St Fintan's/Coillte

Group B
17 August

19:00 Rosenallis vs Shanahoe

19:00 The Harps vs Slieve Bloom    

From the Laois GAA website, as of 9 August 2019
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on August 09, 2019, 08:23:39 PM
Group A
16 August

19:00 Ballyfin CLG vs Naomh Fiontáin Maighean Rátha    

19:00 Clonaslee St Manmans/Cluain na Slí Naomh Meanmain vs Colt/St Fintan's/Coillte

Group B
17 August

19:00 Rosenallis vs Shanahoe

19:00 The Harps vs Slieve Bloom    

From the Laois GAA website, as of 9 August 2019
My two pence on the games..

Ballyfin v Mountrath: The winner of this one should surely top the group. It will be a close enough one, but Ballyfin have a Laois senior in Eanna Lyons, and at this grade, that's huge. Ballyfin by 6.

Clonaslee v Colt: Can't imagine Colt are as competitive as they were in recent years in this championship. They'll probably face a relegation final. I don't think Clonaslee are motoring as well as they were last year, but should still have more than enough. Clonaslee by 12.

Rosenallis v Shanahoe: Probably the best game of the weekend puts two of the strongest sides against each other in Rosenallis and Shanahoe. I was impressed by Rosenallis against The Harps, and with John Lennom to come back from suspension, I fancy them to win this. Rosenallis by 4.

The Harps v Slieve Bloom: On the other hand, this will probably be the most one-sided game of the weekend. The Harps didn't set the world alight against a Rosenallis side missing John Lennon, but there's room for improvement. With Ben Conroy out through injury for Slieve Bloom, a relegation scrap looms. The Harps by 20.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on August 09, 2019, 10:19:49 PM
...The Harps didn't set the world alight against a Rosenallis side missing John Lennon, but there's room for improvement...
Do you feel Rosenallis would have won the match if John Lennon played?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on August 09, 2019, 11:50:44 PM
Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on August 09, 2019, 10:19:49 PM
...The Harps didn't set the world alight against a Rosenallis side missing John Lennon, but there's room for improvement...
Do you feel Rosenallis would have won the match if John Lennon played?

It would have went right down to the wire anyway. I think there's a great chance that Rosenallis will meet The Harps again in the final.

merman

Ballyfin and Mountrath should be a decent game tonight.
I saw Mountrath the last day and I think they have something about them this year. Ballyfin are a bit more potent in attack but I think Mountrath will physically match them.
I'm going to go against the grain here and side with Mountrath to edge this by 2.

I'll be at Colt and Clonaslee and I think there is room for improvement for both from the last day. I think Colt will have targeted this game massively as they won't want to be playing Ballyfin with a relegation decider looming.
I'm going to give Colt the nod by a single point.

I can only see Rosenallis accounting for Shanahoe with a minimum of fuss. They've a better spread of hurlers and should post a score that I can't see Shanahoe getting near.
Rosenallis by 8.

And finally I'd be really worried about Slieve Bloom. This could be unpleasant as I think The Harps will want to lay down a marker after an efficient if uninspiring win over Rosenallis.
Bruce to be happy with a 12+ point win.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: merman on August 16, 2019, 04:04:02 PM
...And finally I'd be really worried about Slieve Bloom. This could be unpleasant as I think The Harps will want to lay down a marker after an efficient if uninspiring win over Rosenallis.
Bruce to be happy with a 12+ point win.
Haha. I will be.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Keyser Söze

Mountrath don't have the forwards to match Ballyfins. Ballyfin have a better spread of good hurlers- Lyons, Connollys (x 3/4?), Finn (hurling?) etc. Mountrath have been non existent at minor/u21 for 5/6 years (bar last years amalgam). Couldn't see them winning it.

Colt and Clonaslee is hard to call. I'd agree with Merman. Clonaslee are such an unknown quantity, not just from year to year but also from round to round. Have no solid reasoning for it but will go for Colt.

Rosenallis and The Harps will account for Shanahoe & Slieve Bloom easily.
There is a huge difference between the quality of the Shanahoe forwards and The Harps' forwards. Shanahoe scored 1-20, in Borris!
I dread to think what score The Harps could put up v Slieve Bloom. Morale there must be very low. The only thing that might work in their favour is that Deegan seems to prefer pulling men back and playing "defensively". Slieve Bloom will probably play a man back too. I can see The Harps having to rely on long distance points and may rack up 25 or 26 points, but may not add too many majors to that score. All speculation of course!
Shanahoe will be more spirited v Rosenallis and will find it easier to keep things tight in Mountmellick than Slieve Bloom will in Mountrath.

Overall
Ballyfin by 5
Colt by 4
Rosenallis by 8
The Harps by 15
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Silkyskillssunshinee

That Colt win and by that score-line surprised me. If results fall their way they could top their group which would be some going.

Clonaslee St Manman's look likely for relegation final now, although they'll probably be too strong for Slieve Bloom in that decider presuming they finish bottom.

Keyser Söze

Did you really mean to type "Clonaslee by 12"?

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 16, 2019, 11:41:46 PM
Did you really mean to type "Clonaslee by 12"?

Unfortunately I did. Clonaslee are usually a team who go terribly in the league, but pick it up for the championship. They had a couple of good Laois U-20 and minors that I thought would be of a big help to them

I also didn't rate Colt, as they were poor last year and have since lost the Gaels set-up. That obviously was more a hindrance to them than a plus though based off of that result. Dreadful prediction on my behalf  ;D

merman

I don't think it's fair to say the Gaels were a hindrance to Colt. To be honest, I think it knocked the stuffing out of them a little and they just weren't at the races for the early rounds of the league. Once they were out of the running for a semi-final berth, attention quickly turned towards championship so always felt that they were slightly better than their league placing suggested.

Poor against Mountrath but excellent on Friday night. A good spread of scorers and James Keyes was just unmarkable at times. Clonaslee had plenty of the ball but they struggled to convert from open play. A couple of Clonaslee supporters were saying the interest in hurling has waned and the focus is very much on the intermediate football.

I'd give Colt every chance against Ballyfin.
Rosenallis and The Harps look a step up on the rest, however.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 16, 2019, 05:52:26 PM
...The only thing that might work in their favour is that Deegan seems to prefer pulling men back and playing "defensively". Slieve Bloom will probably play a man back too. I can see The Harps having to rely on long distance points...
I was able to follow the second half of this match on Twitter. Since the Harps took the lead early and kept widening the point gap, I would have thought there'd be a goal or two in the mix. I can only guess Slieve Bloom did pull a lad or two extra to the back or are the Harps a bit hesitant to go after the net. Was anyone here at the match?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

merman

The Harps aren't a team to push on and bury a team with goals Bruce. Once they were 6/7 points up, the game was over. They were never going to concede heavily and their forwards will keep tacking on points.

I think it's fair to say they've a somewhat conservative style of play. They played a sweeper throughout the league and though they might not need it for all their championship games, I'm sure they feel that by persisting with it, it'll stand to them come the semi-final and final.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on August 18, 2019, 10:29:53 PM
The Harps aren't a team to push on and bury a team with goals Bruce. Once they were 6/7 points up, the game was over. They were never going to concede heavily and their forwards will keep tacking on points.

I think it's fair to say they've a somewhat conservative style of play. They played a sweeper throughout the league and though they might not need it for all their championship games, I'm sure they feel that by persisting with it, it'll stand to them come the semi-final and final.

It's a bit over conservative surely? Especially considering the level they are playing at. Deegan's blueprint it seems.

merman

I think it is a touch overly so alright.
I presume they made the decision right at the start of the year with a view to having a competitive league to build on.

It shouldn't matter what system they play. Anything less than a championship is a failure.