26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 18, 2020, 09:34:09 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 17, 2020, 09:29:19 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 17, 2020, 04:14:04 PM
Quote from: TyroneOnlooker on February 17, 2020, 09:54:03 AM
If anybody needs any reminding why a large proportion of the population still have an issue with sinn fein being involved in government then they should watch Lost Lives which was on BBC1NI last night.

Lazy analysis, did the IRA kill innocent people, undoubtedly, but then look at the history of the NI state. When did the violence and insurrection of the '20's become acceptable. There is blood on many hands including Unionist/loyalist, Republicans and the British State. The Irish state could also be arguably guilty of the sin of omission, and that is before we get into the scandal and corruption. So whilst SF undoubtedly have a past they can only be part of the future of this island. It was exclusionary politics that led to partition and all that followed. Memories have a habit of being selective.
The most notable change in 26 co society that the election campaign highlighted, is that the collective desperate attempt to blacken Sinn Fein with the usual propoganda had not only no effect but rebounded against FF  & FG. 
This is a non-reversible shift.
Er, no.
People wanted a change and SF got a large youth vote. that vote is very fickle. Where was that vote last year for the local and european elections?

They'll migrate again once they realise unicorn policies don't work and none of the extra consultants or doctors will come back to work in the health service because they will be paying higher levels of tax here under SF, and added to that the US multinationals start leaving or downsizing due to hikes to the tax rates (which I think should be inched upwards - a proper republic shouldn't be giving sweetheart deals to multi billion euro companies) plus we don't have the builders or construction sector capacity to start building masses of social housing/accommodation. A large majority of which needs to be located in town and city centres as the urban sprawl that has been accelerating over the past 2 decades cannot continue, and people want/need to live in urban areas

Yep its big boy stuff now, I have my doubts of SF ability. They have not done well here in the north tackling any economic issues.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 18, 2020, 10:20:53 AM
Yep its big boy stuff now, I have my doubts of SF ability. They have not done well here in the north tackling any economic issues.

Dunno if the default position of "its all the British governments fault" is gonna work for them in Dublin.

i usse an speelchekor

Snapchap

Call it "the default position" all you want, but how can SF be responsible for the weakness of an economy when the governing body for the area doesn't have any fiscal powers and when the position of Economy Minister since the GFA was signed in 1998, has never yet been held by a nationalist, let alone anyone from SF?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on February 18, 2020, 10:42:54 AM

Call it "the default position" all you want, but how can SF be responsible for the weakness of an economy when the governing body for the area doesn't have any fiscal powers and when the position of Economy Minister since the GFA was signed in 1998, has never yet been held by a nationalist, let alone anyone from SF?

or when they walk out for 3 years.

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 18, 2020, 11:14:18 AM

Ironically, that reply was something of a 'walk-out' from the question at hand, so I may refer you back to said question. How can one party, which has never held the Economy Minister position within an assembly that holds no fiscal power, be responsible for the strength/weakness of the economy?

Rossfan

Abolish USC - €4bn
Abolish LPT - €400m
Reduce age for OAP - €500m??
Hire 1,000 Hosp Consultants - €250m
Build 100,000 houses - borrow €20bn. Annual Interest €600m

Where is the €5,750,000,000 to come from?

An extra 5% tax on income over €130,000?
Those earning that are already paying tax at 40%. So an extra 5% will bring in SFA even if they stay around to pay it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on February 18, 2020, 11:17:55 AM

Ironically, that reply was something of a 'walk-out' from the question at hand, so I may refer you back to said question. How can one party, which has never held the Economy Minister position within an assembly that holds no fiscal power, be responsible for the strength/weakness of the economy?

It is an assembly-no one ministerial position operates in isolation without without first getting passed at the Executive Office

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 18, 2020, 12:28:00 PM

It is an assembly-no one ministerial position operates in isolation without without first getting passed at the Executive Office

The minister is still the minister ffs. And even if SF ever did hold the position (which, again, they have not to date), how can the minister, or indeed the minister with the hypothetical full support of an executive, be responsible for the strength of the economy when they have no fiscal powers?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on February 18, 2020, 12:55:39 PM

The minister is still the minister ffs. And even if SF ever did hold the position (which, again, they have not to date), how can the minister, or indeed the minister with the hypothetical full support of an executive, be responsible for the strength of the economy when they have no fiscal powers?

Direct Rule then?

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 18, 2020, 01:11:54 PM

Direct Rule then?

You're doing a lot of dancing on a pinhead here. The discussion wasn't about methods of helping the economy. Rather, it began with you placing the blame for the poor economy in the six counties directly at the door of Sinn Féin. I'm trying to establish your reasoning, given, as I say, that they have never held the Economy Ministry which itself is a part of a 'government' with no fiscal power. So again, how is their fault?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on February 18, 2020, 01:26:17 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 18, 2020, 01:11:54 PM

Direct Rule then?

You're doing a lot of dancing on a pinhead here. The discussion wasn't about methods of helping the economy. Rather, it began with you placing the blame for the poor economy in the six counties directly at the door of Sinn Féin. I'm trying to establish your reasoning, given, as I say, that they have never held the Economy Ministry which itself is a part of a 'government' with no fiscal power. So again, how is their fault?

I don't care what you were talking about earlier, i'm talking about the economy. So what is the point of SF in the North if we follow your logic, you seem to making a very strong argument for going to Westminster to wield some power there or agreeing direct rule. Both them and the DUP have never produced any financial or strategic plan to work with what they have. The clear east/west divide in the NI has never been addressed-are they out there encouraging inward manufacturing? The only reason they are back in Stormont is because they lost a shit load of votes and the nurses went on strike. Out of their depth, hand out to the Brits

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 18, 2020, 01:57:22 PM
I don't care what you were talking about earlier, i'm talking about the economy.
As am I. It was you who brought up the topic. You asid the poor economy was SF's fault. I'm (still) trying to get you to explain how you came to that conclusion.

So what is the point of SF in the North if we follow your logic, you seem to making a very strong argument for going to Westminster to wield some power there or agreeing direct rule.
No I advocate Irish reunification. Partition will always be economically bad for Ireland. Borders by their very nature are bad for business.

Both them and the DUP have never produced any financial or strategic plan to work with what they have. The clear east/west divide in the NI has never been addressed-are they out there encouraging inward manufacturing? The only reason they are back in Stormont is because they lost a shit load of votes and the nurses went on strike. Out of their depth, hand out to the Brits
Of course they produce spending plans. They're called budgets and the next one will be produced in around 3 weeks time. But all that is just a case of distributing the money handed over from westminster. You may recall all parties recently complaining that they did not get what they were expecting upon restoration of the assembly? So, again given that they cannot make any fiscal adjustments, AGAIN I find myself asking you how you figure that Sinn Féin are the ones responsible for the strength of the economy when all they, alongside the other executive ministers, can only distribute what they are given and given that the Department of the Economy has only ever been held by the DUP or UUP.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on February 18, 2020, 02:30:59 PM
I don't care what you were talking about earlier, i'm talking about the economy.
As am I. It was you who brought up the topic. You asid the poor economy was SF's fault. I'm (still) trying to get you to explain how you came to that conclusion.

So what is the point of SF in the North if we follow your logic, you seem to making a very strong argument for going to Westminster to wield some power there or agreeing direct rule.
No I advocate Irish reunification. Partition will always be economically bad for Ireland. Borders by their very nature are bad for business.

Both them and the DUP have never produced any financial or strategic plan to work with what they have. The clear east/west divide in the NI has never been addressed-are they out there encouraging inward manufacturing? The only reason they are back in Stormont is because they lost a shit load of votes and the nurses went on strike. Out of their depth, hand out to the Brits
Of course they produce spending plans. They're called budgets and the next one will be produced in around 3 weeks time. But all that is just a case of distributing the money handed over from westminster. You may recall all parties recently complaining that they did not get what they were expecting upon restoration of the assembly? So, again given that they cannot make any fiscal adjustments, AGAIN I find myself asking you how you figure that Sinn Féin are the ones responsible for the strength of the economy when all they, alongside the other executive ministers, can only distribute what they are given and given that the Department of the Economy has only ever been held by the DUP or UUP.

You have contradicted yourself a number of times and have basically said SF are powerless to make any economic improvements in NI along with their partners in crime(Dup). So direct rule it is, or do a John Hume and actually get out to the US and get some industry here(Dupont, Seagate etc)

Rossfan

That would require grown up maturity and taking chips off shoulders.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 18, 2020, 03:27:21 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 18, 2020, 02:30:59 PM

You have contradicted yourself a number of times and have basically said SF are powerless to make any economic improvements in NI along with their partners in crime(Dup). So direct rule it is, or do a John Hume and actually get out to the US and get some industry here(Dupont, Seagate etc)

It's not a contradiction. I have consistently been saying SF are powerless to make any significant improvements to the economy of the six counties. You're the one holding them responsible for the place having a weak economy. I'm at a loss as to how you came to the conclusion that they are to blame given that the assembly has no fiscal powers, and even if it did, they have never held the Economy portfolio. The fact is you are bitterly anti-SF, which is fair enough if that's your position; but don't spout nonsense about how they are responsible for the six counties being an economic basket case. It will always be a basket case for as long as partition exists.