Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think if Limerick don't blow up early, and are within 3 or 4 points with 10-15 to go, they will win.

imtommygunn

Yeah only seafoid thinks it is a foregone conclusion. Limerick have a big chance here and they have good depth to finish strong. I wonder will dowling start.

AZOffaly

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2018, 09:50:21 PM
Yeah only seafoid thinks it is a foregone conclusion. Limerick have a big chance here and they have good depth to finish strong. I wonder will dowling start.

That's an interesting one. Flanagan starting and Dowling coming on is probably a bigger psychological lift than vice versa.

imtommygunn

Yeah i would say so too. Same with the fella who scored that last goal - name i can't remember. He is very fast and his pace against tired defenders makes a big difference.

Milltown Row2

Jesus lads a fit Dowling starts every game, his free taking alone from distance is enough, his touch accuracy and drive is infectious.. I'm in the camp that he comes on and forces limerick to preform from the start. There are some players that paying £75 is easy, Canning Dowling are just two on show this weekend that will lift the 80 odd thousand at Croker
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

I was on the fence about who to support in this weekends game until I saw todays six one news and saw Cooneys sister was on talking to Marty Morrissey. She is a stunner playing camogie for Galway on saturday too. So I will be backing Galway to win by 5 points. A goal or two for Limerick though could make a game of it and an exciting finish.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2018, 11:50:52 PM
Jesus lads a fit Dowling starts every game, his free taking alone from distance is enough, his touch accuracy and drive is infectious.. I'm in the camp that he comes on and forces limerick to preform from the start. There are some players that paying £75 is easy, Canning Dowling are just two on show this weekend that will lift the 80 odd thousand at Croker

Key word is fit mr. Hasn't been fullyfit all year.

As gooda reason as any i guesscapt pat ;D

johnnycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 16, 2018, 08:16:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2018, 06:38:00 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 16, 2018, 09:30:26 AM
I can't see Flanagan getting any change out of Daithi Burke and I'd suspect Gillane will be picked up by Tuohy rather than Hanbury (or Loftus) due to his ability to go for goal. Hanbury will still have his work cut out on Mulcahy all the same but Mulcahy is more inclined to pick up some nice points than bore head down on goal.

If McInerney is indeed fit, with Mannion and Harte either side Limerick will need to bypass this line when possible. It has to be noted that in the original semi-final it was really only after McInerney exited the fray that Clare made big inroads into the Galway defence.

Not sure this Limerick team would have the same speed about them as what some of the Clare lads would have had and where Clare got joy.

My gut says Galway to grind out another victory but if Limerick can keep the margin small going into the final straight then you never know and the likes of Dowling being sprung from the bench could get them over the line.
I fancy Galway to get a few goals though as the Limerick fullback line has struggled with big strong ball winners all year.
I think he also ignores Limerick's lack of experience
They will win something in the future most likely but this year might be a bit soon
Like Clare in 2013, the first year is the year to do it

Cork by and large were also novices of AI finals that year as well so a more even playing field to what we'll see on Sunday where one team has played in 5 AI finals since 2012 (1 replay) and one which hasn't played in any.

Dowling comes on from the bench for me as I don't think he's the fitness to last out 70 minutes, nor probably 50 if the truth was told. Let Flanagan battle away manfully with Burke from the start and see where that takes them.
Dowling entering the fray will lift a big Limerick crowd moreso than Flanagan being introduced.

Limerick lost the midfield battle against Clare. They can't afford for Coen and David Burke (better operators that the Clare duo) to do the same on Sunday.

Most importantly will Cian Lynch get those socks changed or ease up on the bleach in the wash!!

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2018, 09:50:21 PM
No such thing as a foregone conclusion with Galway hurlers. If Limerick are good enough they can win.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

NAG1

I might be reading too much into it, but I genuinely think if Galway show up on Sunday there could be a big enough score in it at the end.

Too much power and strength, not too mention the confidence that last year has evidently given them.

Thing with Galway is that they are so adaptable, they can go long to the edge of the square when required or they can play Whelan out into space. They can play the short game through the mid field and pick off long range scores from there, or Joe can win it and just run out round people and throw it over.

I would love to see Limerick put it up to them and make a real game of it and hopefully they will.

AZOffaly

Quote from: NAG1 on August 17, 2018, 11:25:23 AM
I might be reading too much into it, but I genuinely think if Galway show up on Sunday there could be a big enough score in it at the end.

Too much power and strength, not too mention the confidence that last year has evidently given them.

Thing with Galway is that they are so adaptable, they can go long to the edge of the square when required or they can play Whelan out into space. They can play the short game through the mid field and pick off long range scores from there, or Joe can win it and just run out round people and throw it over.

I would love to see Limerick put it up to them and make a real game of it and hopefully they will.

Limerick also have big men though. I don't think the power and strength will win it for Galway, I think the hurling will. My biggest fear for Limerick is they will hit wides, and Galway will punish them and open up a lead. Limerick won't panic, this is a different Limerick team, but in an All Ireland if you go 9 or 10 points down it's a big, big mountain.

I will assume Limerick don't hit a load of wides, so I have a sneaky suspicion Limerick will win by 3.

manfromdelmonte

If Galway don't get their early purple patch like they have in most games they could be in trouble
A Limerick win would be great for the game

seafoid

It will depend on how many wides Galway have. In last year's final I think they only had 4. Anyway it is great to see 2 non old firm teams in the final.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 17, 2018, 12:36:29 PM
If Galway don't get their early purple patch like they have in most games they could be in trouble

It would be great for Limerick. I don't see what it would do for the game overall to be honest.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 17, 2018, 04:05:10 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 17, 2018, 12:36:29 PM

It would be great for Limerick. I don't see what it would do for the game overall to be honest.

Hope for the rest of the counties and a better spread of champions would be a start..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea