Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 14, 2018, 02:02:20 PM
Quote from: Minder on August 13, 2018, 05:56:00 PM
He tried to soften up George O'Connor at the throw in in 1996 and George was having none of it

I think Limerick people being sore about agricultural hurling is a bit rich.

Just on that tagent, I cant remember a dirty blow being struck this year throughout the championship. Think this is one of the reasons the skilful players are flourishing at the moment.
(Maybe the u21 lad with the kick on the Tipp lad  :o)

Good refereeing NAG1, and I'm saying that without my ref hat on but as a supporter.. the under 21 game for me wasnt ref'd well, IMO
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2018, 02:25:52 PM
He tried to soften up George O'Connor at the throw in in 1996 and George was having none of it

Just on that tagent, I cant remember a dirty blow being struck this year throughout the championship. Think this is one of the reasons the skilful players are flourishing at the moment.

Good refereeing NAG1, and I'm saying that without my ref hat on but as a supporter.. the under 21 game for me wasnt ref'd well, IMO

Would tend to agree with that, but there is a buy-in from the players to play right to edge but not past it (on majority of occasions)

There are good referees in the football too, difference is most of the players are trying to con him any chance they get.

youbetterbelieveit

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 04:46:55 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 13, 2018, 04:44:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
Yeah I know the lad. His brother was Owen or Eoin I think?

The very one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8mauQ2npA0

15 seconds in

that's right, he's Murroe. The next club over the border to ourselves.

Have to pull you up on this one AZOffaly, he is Boher! the GAA club is Murroe-Boher.

AZOffaly

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on August 14, 2018, 06:44:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 04:46:55 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 13, 2018, 04:44:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
Yeah I know the lad. His brother was Owen or Eoin I think?

The very one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8mauQ2npA0

15 seconds in

that's right, he's Murroe. The next club over the border to ourselves.

Have to pull you up on this one AZOffaly, he is Boher! the GAA club is Murroe-Boher.

Yes, but it's always called Murroe :) By us anyway! Same way Drom and Inch are normally referred to as Drom.

mouview

John McGrath gave a good dig to the Limerick defender the first day out.

seafoid

Having the hurling final mid August feels very strange
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2018, 02:08:37 PM

I suppose the strangest thing is RTE News not being able to do a report form a rural School in the build up to the final!

NAG1

Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2018, 02:08:37 PM

Not sure I like it  :(

tippabu

Quote from: mouview on August 15, 2018, 01:49:25 PM

John McGrath gave a good dig to the Limerick defender the first day out.

He did, deserved a red for it.....I see Brian Concannon is suspended for the senior final for a similar (yes it wasn't a bad 'strike 'by any means) offense in the under 21 semi

seafoid

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/they-are-the-best-team-physically-and-speedwise-brendan-cummins-predicts-an-allireland-final-upset-37220472.html"

Limerick have played Galway before and we are basing their last All-Ireland [in 2007] against the best team who every played because that Kilkenny team had you beaten before you came out," Cummins said.

"I don't think this Limerick team will go in thinking Galway are like that. They'll feel that Galway have been ahead in games but other teams have clawed them back. Limerick will think they are better than Clare and they should have beaten them so why can't we?
"The way Limerick are playing at the moment, they are the best team physically and speed-wise. Glillane and Flanagan have an X factor. If they win the middle third battle and stay in it coming down the straight, I think the Limerick fans will be standing up for the last six minutes of this game rather than heading home like the last time. That emotion will carry them home and I think Limerick will get there by a few points."

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2018, 07:45:46 AM
Limerick will think they are better than Clare and they should have beaten them so why can't we?

Limerick played and lost to Clare  in this year's championship.  Limerick played and lost to Clare in last year's championship.  All I can think is that Brendan is going on a League game that Clare had won and then took eye off the ball and Limerick won on a free taking competition.

I doubt John Kiely is as daft as Brendan. He will know that O'Donoghue will look at Clare Limerick game in Ennis and probably when give one of Clare management a call.

They will discuss that when Clare shutdown Flanagan, Dowling up front (Gillane didn't play) and Hayes and Lynch in midfield then Limerick got badly stuck because their open game was shut down.

They lost discipline and also full back line could not contain Conlon (substitute Glynn for Conlon?) . Management had bad day by going sweeper to try and block Conlon but they left Jamie Shanahan freedom of the park. For a finish Clare had 7 forwards on field completely pushed up on a 14 man Limerick.

Galway will not play the nice open hurling of Cork.  They will have more than the 60mins of graft that Kilkenny had.  They beat Clare which Limerick couldn't do.

Limerick might win, especially if they get on top in middle third but Brenny gives no explanation of how they will do that.

/Jim.

johnnycool

I can't see Flanagan getting any change out of Daithi Burke and I'd suspect Gillane will be picked up by Tuohy rather than Hanbury (or Loftus) due to his ability to go for goal. Hanbury will still have his work cut out on Mulcahy all the same but Mulcahy is more inclined to pick up some nice points than bore head down on goal.

If McInerney is indeed fit, with Mannion and Harte either side Limerick will need to bypass this line when possible. It has to be noted that in the original semi-final it was really only after McInerney exited the fray that Clare made big inroads into the Galway defence.

Not sure this Limerick team would have the same speed about them as what some of the Clare lads would have had and where Clare got joy.

My gut says Galway to grind out another victory but if Limerick can keep the margin small going into the final straight then you never know and the likes of Dowling being sprung from the bench could get them over the line.
I fancy Galway to get a few goals though as the Limerick fullback line has struggled with big strong ball winners all year.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on August 16, 2018, 09:30:26 AM
I can't see Flanagan getting any change out of Daithi Burke and I'd suspect Gillane will be picked up by Tuohy rather than Hanbury (or Loftus) due to his ability to go for goal. Hanbury will still have his work cut out on Mulcahy all the same but Mulcahy is more inclined to pick up some nice points than bore head down on goal.

If McInerney is indeed fit, with Mannion and Harte either side Limerick will need to bypass this line when possible. It has to be noted that in the original semi-final it was really only after McInerney exited the fray that Clare made big inroads into the Galway defence.

Not sure this Limerick team would have the same speed about them as what some of the Clare lads would have had and where Clare got joy.

My gut says Galway to grind out another victory but if Limerick can keep the margin small going into the final straight then you never know and the likes of Dowling being sprung from the bench could get them over the line.
I fancy Galway to get a few goals though as the Limerick fullback line has struggled with big strong ball winners all year.
I think he also ignores Limerick's lack of experience
They will win something in the future most likely but this year might be a bit soon

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2018, 06:38:00 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 16, 2018, 09:30:26 AM

I think he also ignores Limerick's lack of experience
They will win something in the future most likely but this year might be a bit soon
Like Clare in 2013, the first year is the year to do it

imtommygunn

I thought clare beat limerick mainly due to injuries and tiredness. I am not sure on a level playing field with rest etc that clare would live with them.

How limerick handle glynn will be interesting. He is a real goal threat. Whelan too as he has become a real danger.

Two shrewd managers too so should be a real tactical ding dong.

I think this is as good a chance as limerick will have for a long time. Clare have shown galway are there to be got at. As johnny says no mcinerney would make problems for galway.