Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 02:45:07 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 28, 2018, 02:37:26 PM
Tipp are living off reputation

too many big names
no midfield

Harsh. Yesterday in the second half those players delivered, or most of them. Billy McCarthy and Ronan Maher would be a serviceable midfield. I think the problems are a lack of pace, and up until yesterday at 2.45pm, a lack of real intensity. If they can keep that intensity up, they will be a factor again. Don't forget only a Joe Canning wonder point beat them last year.
surely they have a few zippy young players they can bring in to freshen things up?

AZOffaly

There's a few good minors, but I think they are missing the hard running energy types.

seafoid

Last year Tipp gave May a miss and built up towards August. Mayo did too. Tipps August power is maybe 3x what they showed against Cork last year. They can do all of the elite stuff from memory without thinking. KK can't.  Neither can Cork. 

This year the structure is different so they need to get in the zone before maybe they want to. They can still leverage the real hurling for later but they do need to bate Waterford and Clare.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2018, 03:38:06 PM
Last year Tipp gave May a miss and built up towards August. Mayo did too. Tipps August power is maybe 3x what they showed against Cork last year. They can do all of the elite stuff from memory without thinking. KK can't.  Neither can Cork. 

This year the structure is different so they need to get in the zone before maybe they want to. They can still leverage the real hurling for later but they do need to bate Waterford and Clare.

There certainly does seem to be a different learning curve required this year to last. Whether Tipp can ease off the gas till August is a huge gamble, but at the same time the likes of Cork may be looking good in May and June but run out of steam later on in the year.

They've Waterford in the Gaelic grounds and Clare in Semple so they may well end up getting a run out in August as yet.

You can maybe see Galway improve as the year goes on, Cork maybe, Limerick might garner experience with a youngish outfit and ditto Kilkenny as they're still reliant on the old guard and that won't be enough unless some other lads put the shoulder to the wheel.

Franko

What's the story with Bonner Maher?  He's looked a shadow of his former self recently.  With all the chat of Tipp' lacking intensity in the first half yesterday, you'd have thought he'd have been the ideal man for the job.  His engine used to be phenomenal.  But they really only showed any level of bite when he went off.

With regard to Kilkenny.  Henry spoke about it yesterday and I believe he just about nailed it.  They really lack physical power in defence.  Galway have a bunch of big, strong and mobile forwards (none of them are huge speedsters in the truest sense) and they absolutely bullied the cats defence yesterday.

And finally, what can you say about John Conlon.  An absolute joy to watch.  Workrate, stickwork, power and a burst of pace.  Imagine a forward line with 6 of him in it.  IMO he's the best in the country at the minute.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Franko on May 28, 2018, 05:42:14 PM
What's the story with Bonner Maher?  He's looked a shadow of his former self recently.  With all the chat of Tipp' lacking intensity in the first half yesterday, you'd have thought he'd have been the ideal man for the job.  His engine used to be phenomenal.  But they really only showed any level of bite when he went off.

With regard to Kilkenny.  Henry spoke about it yesterday and I believe he just about nailed it.  They really lack physical power in defence.  Galway have a bunch of big, strong and mobile forwards (none of them are huge speedsters in the truest sense) and they absolutely bullied the cats defence yesterday.

And finally, what can you say about John Conlon.  An absolute joy to watch.  Workrate, stickwork, power and a burst of pace.  Imagine a forward line with 6 of him in it.  IMO he's the best in the country at the minute.

Bonner looks fucked. In fairness he's struggling with fitness for a while, and he looks like a lad that's still running on dirty diesel. He wouldn't be nearly the stickman that the other forwards are, so he has to bring intensity, ball winning and direct running. At the moment he's doing none of that. I lost count of the amount of balls he just threw the hurley up at as it landed near him, instead of trying to catch it. It worked for him once as he actually tapped it to himself for a lovely score, but all the rest of them saw him cleaned out.

seafoid

seafoid

Irish times from 2010

"Brian Cody knows so much and says so little that when it comes to communicating with the media it would be easier if he just ticked off the boxes beside various Codyisms as they applied to the situation at hand.
Savage player. Tick.
Savage team. Tick.
Great place to be. Tick.
Great game of hurling. Tick."

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 05:50:54 PM

Bonner looks fucked. In fairness he's struggling with fitness for a while, and he looks like a lad that's still running on dirty diesel. He wouldn't be nearly the stickman that the other forwards are, so he has to bring intensity, ball winning and direct running. At the moment he's doing none of that. I lost count of the amount of balls he just threw the hurley up at as it landed near him, instead of trying to catch it. It worked for him once as he actually tapped it to himself for a lovely score, but all the rest of them saw him cleaned out.
Bonner Maher always seems to be injured
I met him a few years ago at a fitness facility. I was there for a weightlifting workshop.
He wasn't able to perform an overhead squat using just an Olympic bar.
If that is the level of conditioning and mobility that Tipp players have it's no wonder so many are injured

johnnycool

Every dog has his day and although I don't know Bonners age he doesn't come across as a natural athlete so every ounce of fitness is hard gained. His style of play is still required by Tipp and to be fair when he went off the rest of the forwards work rate went up considerably. I don't think there's a direct correlation but they need to do that as a group for 70 minutes every day they go out but that isn't always the case.
Maybe they're mistimed their peaking wrt fitness in the hope of being able to kick on in August.
Don't get two wins in the next two games and it won't matter.

Galways forwards will physically bully any team going now. They're a big unit and can hurl which gives them the slight edge on the likes of Wexford and Limerick who're also big outfits but not as seasoned yet.

As for John Conlon, I've always liked his style. Doesn't always take the right option and can hit some poor wides when most needed but he always stands up when things are tight and wants the ball.
Clare need him and some of the others to up the ante to get another win yet.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on May 29, 2018, 03:22:52 PM

Every dog has his day and although I don't know Bonners age he doesn't come across as a natural athlete so every ounce of fitness is hard gained. His style of play is still required by Tipp and to be fair when he went off the rest of the forwards work rate went up considerably. I don't think there's a direct correlation but they need to do that as a group for 70 minutes every day they go out but that isn't always the case.
Maybe they're mistimed their peaking wrt fitness in the hope of being able to kick on in August.

Galways forwards will physically bully any team going now. They're a big unit and can hurl which gives them the slight edge on the likes of Wexford and Limerick who're also big outfits but not as seasoned yet.

As for John Conlon, I've always liked his style. Doesn't always take the right option and can hit some poor wides when most needed but he always stands up when things are tight and wants the ball.

The margins in knock out championship are tight. A team can have a bad day and be dumped out. Giving teams 4 games in a league format changes the dynamics, as does the injury aspect

Franko

Quote from: johnnycool on May 29, 2018, 03:22:52 PM

Disappointing to see Maher fading that bit.  Met him a few times and he seemed like a real sound, honest lad.  He also puts serious work into his game, so disappointing to see him not reap the rewards.  Agree with you lads though - he doesn't seem like a natural athlete or a natural hurler so I suppose if the level of work he puts in happens to drop off for any reason, his star is going to fade quite quickly.

Don't know about Galway forwards bullying anyone - they will obviously try, but Limerick, Wexford, Tipp, Cork, Waterford and even Dublin have plenty of big, powerful, men in their defence who will stand a fair bit of bullying.  KK, not so much I feel.

I reckon Conlon (to an extent) is carrying Clare at the minute, if the rest of the team stood up to his level, they'd be some force.  But agreed, his decision making is not always the best.

seafoid

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/tipperary-fans-have-to-get-off-their-backsides-former-premier-boss-sends-strong-message-to-supporters-36963940.html 

There was a lot of harsh words spoken by people at half-time writing off Tipperary and writing off the team in general," Hogan told Tipp FM. "I'm just so delighted as a Tipp person that the lads responded in style and put in an absolutely huge effort.

"Ger wasn't the only one; we got it between the two eyes above in the press box at the half-time chat. We got it and everybody said 'There is no way back. This is over. Tipp are gone.'

"But we were in this situation before against Cork in '91 as well and Mick Ryan was playing in that game, so he knows what it's like to come back against a quality Cork team."

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/we-wont-use-injuries-as-an-excuse-shanahan-36967133.html

Former Waterford All Star Maurice Shanahan says injuries won't be used as an excuse as the beaten All-Ireland finalists aim to oust Tipperary this weekend.

Defeat for either side would see their Munster Championship claims effectively ended at the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick on Sunday.

Waterford began their campaign with a 2-27 to 2-18 defeat at the hands of Clare at Cusack Park in Ennis last weekend.

Captain Kevin Moran got a straight red card but it was the injuries to the defensive duo Tadhg de BĂșrca and Barry Coughlan that could cost the team a place in the latter stages of the Championship.

"I am looking forward to get into this structure. If there was a two-week break in between games it would be great to give lads a chance to recover.

"It doesn't but it does give lads games. We want to play games. Every hurler in Ireland wants to play games and we have plenty of games now."

longballin

Can anyone explain significance of weekend games plz. Am genuinly struggling to follow the league format this year.