Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreverhopeful

yes thats him, has been impressing on dublin scene. Got nominated for Dub star last year i think.

StoneWall

Between this and the stunt they pulled with McHale Park they are looking more like cowboys every day. Anyone know how much we are paying Feeney?

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8351:voting-rights-row-prompts-convention-walkout&catid=14&Itemid=100008

http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story/?trs=eyojeykfgb&cat=sport

RedandGreenSniper

Abbeysider I take your point about how some Ballintubber players should be given a shot. But results of club teams on their own are not enough. You can have a very well rounded team of club players with few of county standard (Charlestown - county champions, with only Parsons on the county, A Higgins omission notwithstanding) and then teams with four county players who may be with a club that doesn't perform near as highly (Shrule Glencorrib and Ballina this year).

Crossmolina's young Joe Keane should be given a go but I hear he's not too keen on county football. Maybe Deel Rover can confirm or otherwise?

James Burke definitely worth a look but requiries some lateral thinking from management. I won't hold my breath.

Abbeysider who from the tubber do you think deserves a shot? Personally I'd only be looking at Cathal Hallinan of the lads over 21. Jason Gibbons, Michael Nestor et al will be featuring with the Under 21s, or at least given the chance I would say. I don't think there's a conspiracy.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Barney

QuoteBetween this and the stunt they pulled with McHale Park they are looking more like cowboys every day. Anyone know how much we are paying Feeney?

Have we not been saying it hear for years?

RedandGreenSniper

Seeing as it is the season of goodwill I said I would find something uplifting to discuss. And I found it. Was talking to a man yesterday about the Mayo Under 21 team for next year and, my God, it is a serious side. I guess that is kinda inevitable after the last two minor years but the 2007 crew, who lost so disappointingly to Roscommon in their first and last game, were a serious side too. It is going to be one of the best Mayo underage teams in a long time. That, naturally, doesn't guarantee success but it sure does help.

To give a flavour of some of the players who are available
Goalkeepers - Robert Hennely and Micheal Schlingermann (both of whom won games on their own for their respective minor teams).

Defenders - Kevin Keane, John Broderick, David Dolan, Shane McHale, Eoghan O'Reilly, Shane Nally, Keith Rogers, David Gavin, Michael Walsh, Shane McDermott, Gary Loftus, Ruaidhri O'Connor, Micheal Jennings, Lee Keegan, Sean Prendergast, Michael Nestor, Michael Gallagher, Caoimhin Carty, Joe Keane and Kevin McLoughlin.

Midfielders: Jason Gibbons, Ger McDonagh, James Cafferty, Sean Morris, Danny Kirby (still minor so only a maybe).

Forwards: Cathal Carolan, Cathal Freeman, Aidan O'Shea, Niall Prenty, Neil Douglas, Jason Doherty, Alan Freeman, Peter Dravins, Ray Geraghty, Tom King, Aidan Walsh, Cillian O'Connor (still minor so only a maybe).

Try pick a team from that!

Here's my effort

Robert Hennelly

Shane McHale  Kevin Keane  Keith Rogers

Shane Nally  Lee Keegan  Kevin McLoughlin

Jason Gibbon   James Cafferty

Cathal Carolan  Aidan O'Shea  Cathal Freeman

Neil Douglas  Alan Freeman  Jason Doherty.

Good luck to Ray Dempsey trying to pick the team though.

Mayo4Sam

That is a serious set of players but on the down side there's serious competition to even get out of connacht & that's before u get to the Tyrone '08 minors, prob the best minor team I've seen
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 19, 2009, 01:36:16 AM
Abbeysider I take your point about how some Ballintubber players should be given a shot. But results of club teams on their own are not enough. You can have a very well rounded team of club players with few of county standard (Charlestown - county champions, with only Parsons on the county, A Higgins omission notwithstanding) and then teams with four county players who may be with a club that doesn't perform near as highly (Shrule Glencorrib and Ballina this year).

Crossmolina's young Joe Keane should be given a go but I hear he's not too keen on county football. Maybe Deel Rover can confirm or otherwise?

James Burke definitely worth a look but requiries some lateral thinking from management. I won't hold my breath.

Abbeysider who from the tubber do you think deserves a shot? Personally I'd only be looking at Cathal Hallinan of the lads over 21. Jason Gibbons, Michael Nestor et al will be featuring with the Under 21s, or at least given the chance I would say. I don't think there's a conspiracy.

Welcome back R&GS  ;)

Ah im not saying there is a conspiracy, but when you look at the stats of the thing its looks like we were over looked, but then again, maybe im living in some sort of bubble!

Of the U21s, its hard to know. I think Jason Gibbons, Ruaidhri O Connor, Michael Nestor and Gary Loftus have all got the stuff at that level. But of that list, only Jason Gibbons will be looked at properly, but I would be hoping they would give a proper chance to Mick and Gary and especially Ruaidhri who was outstanding in the U21 campaign and Senior campaign before he went to the US for a couple of months. In fact, I think Ruaidhri could go all the way, given the chance as he is a serious wing back.

Of the lads over 21 (next year), I would say defiantly Cathal Hallinan.
Liam Tunney and Paraic O Connor would also deserve a shot IMO.

Cathal is one of the most consistent defenders we have, I think he only conceded one point from play in this years championship and very little otherwise during the league, marking the best of the opposition we faced. He would be regarded as our best defender and man marker and is as good as if not better in some cases than what there at the minute.
Liam Tunney is another fine defender, full of determination and another brilliant man-marker.
Paraic O Connor, most people will know. He was having a great season up until the quarter final against Knockmore where nothing went right for him, but still deserves a shot IMO. A confidence player, than when he believes he can be outstanding both from play and frees.

moysider

Looks good on paper alright but..... . Both Mchale and Keane look beth suited to FB but would struggle against a good corner forward. Think he ll play McLoughlin in the forwards. That's where his future lies imo.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on December 21, 2009, 11:29:14 PM
Looks good on paper alright but..... . Both Mchale and Keane look beth suited to FB but would struggle against a good corner forward. Think he ll play McLoughlin in the forwards. That's where his future lies imo.

Yeah, you could be right about McLoughlin. Especially with the amount of defensive options. He would be a serious centre-half forward imo.

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 20, 2009, 06:48:11 PM
That is a serious set of players but on the down side there's serious competition to even get out of connacht & that's before u get to the Tyrone '08 minors, prob the best minor team I've seen
And we should/could have beaten them on both days.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 22, 2009, 11:55:02 PM
1st day yes, 2nd defo not
Hennelly kept Mayo in the game alright, could have won it though rather than should have. I remember 0'shea hitting the post with an outside of the left shot at a vital time....

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 20, 2009, 12:33:53 PM
Seeing as it is the season of goodwill I said I would find something uplifting to discuss. And I found it. Was talking to a man yesterday about the Mayo Under 21 team for next year and, my God, it is a serious side. I guess that is kinda inevitable after the last two minor years but the 2007 crew, who lost so disappointingly to Roscommon in their first and last game, were a serious side too. It is going to be one of the best Mayo underage teams in a long time. That, naturally, doesn't guarantee success but it sure does help.

To give a flavour of some of the players who are available
Goalkeepers - Robert Hennely and Micheal Schlingermann (both of whom won games on their own for their respective minor teams).

Defenders - Kevin Keane, John Broderick, David Dolan, Shane McHale, Eoghan O'Reilly, Shane Nally, Keith Rogers, David Gavin, Michael Walsh, Shane McDermott, Gary Loftus, Ruaidhri O'Connor, Micheal Jennings, Lee Keegan, Sean Prendergast, Michael Nestor, Michael Gallagher, Caoimhin Carty, Joe Keane and Kevin McLoughlin.

Midfielders: Jason Gibbons, Ger McDonagh, James Cafferty, Sean Morris, Danny Kirby (still minor so only a maybe).

Forwards: Cathal Carolan, Cathal Freeman, Aidan O'Shea, Niall Prenty, Neil Douglas, Jason Doherty, Alan Freeman, Peter Dravins, Ray Geraghty, Tom King, Aidan Walsh, Cillian O'Connor (still minor so only a maybe).

That is a serious line-up.

Its hard to know if Cillian and Kirby will be brought in. I think Alan Dillon was the only player for a long time to play 4 years U21 for Mayo. I dont know would I be in favour of it as their bodies are not that mature at 17 and they will have plenty of time to play U21 after minor grade.

At a glance, I would guess that at least half those lads have 2 years U21 left?

Barney

Its a serious set of players alright and the future is in their hands.

However do we have somebody that will consistently score big? I'm not sure and without that we will not break the gap

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on December 23, 2009, 11:53:56 AM
Its a serious set of players alright and the future is in their hands.

However do we have somebody that will consistently score big? I'm not sure and without that we will not break the gap

Potential big scorers IMO:
Aidan O'Shea
Jason Doherty
Neil Douglas (frees and from play)
Aidan Walsh (frees)

I havnt seen enough of the other guys but there is no bad forwards there that I would care to mention.