Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on October 18, 2009, 05:47:13 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 17, 2009, 03:01:33 PM
We have the players.

I don't think we have - we're light up front, need another Alan Dillon or two. We're short one dog of a midfielder (and Ronan McGarrity will continue to struggle until he has someone like DB beside him)

Whilst the Meath result was very disappointing, I don't see how anyone could make the claim that this team is capable of challenging either Tyrone or Kerry, even if we had Mickey Harte at the helm!

I also don't see the point in repeating past mistakes of running men out of town on rails until there is a credible replacement ready to step into the role.

Q for ICC and Moysider - who would you want to see taking over now?

I would argue that we have the players. As regards challenging Kerry or Tyrone. There has always been a Kerry or Tyrone and there always will. Lets face it both looked vunerable at times this year. But the way things are here we would need 5 young James Nallens and 5 Alan Dillons to come along at the same time to win anything because we seem to incapable of building a team. 

Look at some of the things that O Connor and Harte have done to make their teams more competitiveand winners. Convert Cormac MCanallen into a fullback, Play Joe McMahon in the full-back line. Recall Stephen O Neill before an AI final. Bring back Michael McCarty after 2 years out. Retain Cooper and T O Sé after going drinking. nConverting Tommy Griffin to fullback. Getting Galvin to focus on his game. Could you imagine Johnno doin any of that?  Dont think so. I wont mention the obvious one but where was Aidan Higgins this year when there was nt a corner back in the panel. It s no exaggeration to say that his absence this year cost us a semi-final spot. If Charlestown win the county final he will probably get player of the year. What kind of judgement is that? He should have been drafted into team after Connacht final as some of us pointed out way back then. Plus with likes of Harte you would get cutting edge sports science in preparation and not an outdated Kilty programme left to Gallagher to impart in sessions. Plus likes of O Connor and Harte man manage individuals instead of switching to auto pilot and delegating to sports psychologists and pulling tricks like quest speakers to impress the lads. Passé.

With all of the talk Johnno had about picking a panel he ended up with about 10 players he was unable to use. Ok 10 is over the top but not much. Why was Austin still there? And was Seamus O Sé supposed to be the midfield dog? If he is permanently injured why was nobody else groomed for the role? Or play a 3 man midfield? The roles of Trevor and Ronaldson as a sub were also fanciful to say the least.

Not sure who I would like to take over. Now Kernan would have been nice to see. Galway did nt hang around and Sammon did nt do an awful lot wrong. There is no ready made replacement and there wont be either. So the obvoius thing for this board is to go down the crony route and give Holmes another term of soft ould chat. But in fairness how much worse could last 3 years have been? Dempsey seems to have a sound football philosophy so why hang around there?

Greenabovethered

Quote from: descartes on October 20, 2009, 11:16:45 AM
you wouldnt think there was a county final on this weekend at all judging by this thread... went back 3-4 pages and didn't see any mention of the game coming up. (very funny about the planning permission c**k up, reminds me of our own county board, good to see we're not the only ones who have a useless shower in charge  ::) )  I'm a Cavan man with friends playing for both clubs. was thinking of heading down to take in the match but its a fair old trip.

Any body got any predictions for me or insights in to how the game will go?

I'd say that Knockmore will try and keep the match physical from start to finish. If Charlestown can get their running game going I think they will win. If not and both teams get embroiled in a slugfest, then there will be at least 3 sendings off with Knockmore winning by a point or two. I think Kevin O'Neill got his marching orders the last time these two met in the County final?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: descartes on October 20, 2009, 11:16:45 AM
you wouldnt think there was a county final on this weekend at all judging by this thread... went back 3-4 pages and didn't see any mention of the game coming up. (very funny about the planning permission c**k up, reminds me of our own county board, good to see we're not the only ones who have a useless shower in charge  ::) )  I'm a Cavan man with friends playing for both clubs. was thinking of heading down to take in the match but its a fair old trip.

Any body got any predictions for me or insights in to how the game will go?

Did you check the MAYO CLUB FOOTBALL THREAD??? ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

According to today s Western Dempsey is the only nomination for the U21 job.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on October 20, 2009, 05:08:21 PM

According to today s Western Dempsey is the only nomination for the U21 job.

That is good news - does that mean the Kieran Gallagher idea is out the window, or does he not have to be nominated because the CB will do what they want anyway?

moysider

As far as I know there has to be a nomination from a club in advance of the meeting. Dempsey taking over the U 21s probably a step in the right direction. But not without risk for himself as he will be expected to keep that u21 Connacht run going. On the other hand the minors could well be in the shake-up again. The minor management will be very important too.

Foreverhopeful

mayo need an outside manager. Mickey moran came in and had o'neill, mcdonald, a higgins and d brady in the panel together. JOM and maughan had issues with these players at different stages and as a result mayo lost out. Its bullshit. Mayo players are too soft. Time we got an edge. K' O'Neill mentioned a higgins as a player mayo needs. A hardy f***er. No messing with him.

Farrandeelin

So who do we want in the draw this evening?

ballinaman

Galway 1st Round or Semi.....Lets have them early. Covers us in 2 ways, beat them and we'll know what we are like early....loose and we'll have a better chance in the back door, have always done poorly in the back door after loosing the connacht final.

Farrandeelin

Semi it is so, for they are in NY I think for the first round (if we get Galway)

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: ballinaman on October 22, 2009, 09:40:53 AM
Galway 1st Round or Semi.....Lets have them early. Covers us in 2 ways, beat them and we'll know what we are like early....loose and we'll have a better chance in the back door, have always done poorly in the back door after loosing the connacht final.

There's a slight loophole in your hypothesis there Ballinaman. What if Mayo lose because we're cat?  :-[

ballinaman

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 23, 2009, 12:01:08 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 22, 2009, 09:40:53 AM

There's a slight loophole in your hypothesis there Ballinaman. What if Mayo lose because we're cat?  :-[

Ha ya, well at least we'll know that early too!!! To be honest...i think we might know that by the league!!

StoneWall

Sligo first away and if we get over that Galway at home. Ricky Nixon after Aidan O'Shea now  >:( ...

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=119503

Controversial AFL agent Ricky Nixon has admitted that Mayo ace Aidan O'Shea is his next target as he seeks to bolster the number of players linked to his Flying Start Academy Down Under.

The rising 19 year old Mayo star is being lined up by Nixon as he tries to broke deals for the five clubs linked to his academy.

stephenite

Ray Dempsey confirmed as U-21 manager, this is good news.

macdanger2

Who will be the new minor manager? Or will Ray be taking both......??