Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

The first 2 league games are down to be played on two bank holiday mondays. thats hardly fair is it? then a break again of 3 weeks.

Also the c\ship draw is arse ways again. 2 game in 2 weeks then a 6 week break until the 3rd game!!

From the Bunker

As i see that the main page on the AI Club Championship has become a dogfight between Vinnies and Cross Rangers, I thought i seek the view of my fellow county men. From a far setting the world alight, their seemed to be more guile and experience to Ballina journey to county and provincial titles, never impressive, worked to their strengths and compensated for the lack of point scoring power by nabbing more goals. The Magic of the 2005 journey just was not there from a early stage. The lack of comment on the board makes me think that there was a certain element of acceptance of the weekends result.

rosnarun

more like any one who saw it saw there was very little to discuss about it. it was the most inept display of football i think ive ever seen from a mayo team outside the county. as i said some where else you have to give ballina the benefit of the doubt they can't be that bad or else may football is in far greater trouble than than the most pessimistic fan could dream of
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

Whilst not having seen the game, the comments from the two boys on MWR were enough to stop me from logging onto TG4 to watch it in their archives, though I will do so later in the week.

They appeared to be very flat on the day and just never got going, it seems obvious that Ronan McGarrity was no where near full fitness for this match, but also the likes of Pat Harte and DB never really got going either. Added to the loss of Ken Golden before the match and Ger Cafferky after 10 minutes than it was always a big ask. You cannot expect to win at this level when getting beaten hands down in centrefield and also without your two best man markers. However we were well beaten all over the pitch and there can be no excuses offered (even though I just did :P)

I'd say there's a fair bit of truth in what you've mentioned Bunker - Ballina seemed to win the provincial championship without ever firing on all cylinders as opposed to 2005 where they just overan their opponents

There is a lot of predictable doom and gloom but it should be noted that the teams that have gone onto represent the county over the last 10 years or so have done so with some incredible talent being helped out by the type of honest, hardworking footballer that Mayo clubs have always produced. Think Crossmolina with Jimmy & Tom Nallen, Ciaran Mac and Peadar Gardiner being supported by Joe Keane, Paul McGuinness, Johnny Leonard & Rochford, think Knockmore mid-90's with the brute strength of Stanton, Dempsey Butler et al. the skill of Kevin O'Neill backed up by the 3 Sweeneys, Graham O'Hora. Ballina with Liam McHale, DB, Mcgarrity, Brian Heffernan backed up by Brian Ruane, Ken Golden, Ger and Liam Brady, Pat Harte, the Dev's etc. Charlestown with Ginger, Higgins brothers, and the Caseys.

Remarkable generation of great players listed above and with most of them (the ones that have played inter-county) nearing or already at the end of their careers I'm beginning to wonder if we're not entering a prolonged period in the doldrums at both Inter-County and club levels. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just can't see who's going to replace some of them.

PS : I could have obviously named some players instead of other players in the list above, it's an example of the top of my head so don't bother with the back biting about players I didn't mention deserving a mention abover those that I did.

We still have the likes of Mort, Dillon, BJP, McGarrity and others who have been involved in 04&06 (in the same way that Brady, Nallen etc were involved in 96&97) and the question is if we can bring through enough of the U-21 winning team to supplement these guys for the next few years.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: stephenite on February 27, 2008, 02:22:30 AM

Remarkable generation of great players listed above and with most of them (the ones that have played inter-county) nearing or already at the end of their careers I'm beginning to wonder if we're not entering a prolonged period in the doldrums at both Inter-County and club levels. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just can't see who's going to replace some of them.

[ quote ] i agree with what you have said stephenite ,i have stated before the league campaign that i think we are going to have a tough few years ahead of us, no disrespect to the players that are coming through but they are not near the same quallity of player that we are loosing. If you go to a club championship game this year i guanantee you the the likes of Jimmy , Ciaran Mc, David Brady will stand out.  I don't know if you Knew Michael Walsh stephenite owner of the Broken Jug and previous owner of the dolphin in crossmolina has died, many a good day we had together cheering on Cross and Mayo he loved his football and may he rest in peace.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

OirthearMhaigheo

Don't know if it's good news for Mayo or just for Cross but Ciaran Mac was training with Na Fianna last night, he must be working in the Dublin area at the moment? Apparently he was in fine fettle at training but as for if he's going back to the county set up or not who knows, maybe some of the Cross lads would know more?

stephenite

Didn't hear the bad news about Michael Walsh - a true gentleman. RIP

the Deel Rover

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on February 27, 2008, 10:02:29 AM
Don't know if it's good news for Mayo or just for Cross but Ciaran Mac was training with Na Fianna last night, he must be working in the Dublin area at the moment? Apparently he was in fine fettle at training but as for if he's going back to the county set up or not who knows, maybe some of the Cross lads would know more?

Aye Ciaran is working in Meath at the moment so he is training with Na Fianna During the week and he trains with us on a saturday night, he is flying a training at the moment and as i said before i can't see him playing with mayo, in fairness i wouldn't blame him he burst his balls to get fit last year and yet for the Derry game all o'mahony gave him was 10 minutes near the end after bringing on 4 other forwards so it  shows you what o mahony thought of him, anyway it would be great for cross if he didn't play for mayo selfish on my behalf i know but if we had jimmy and mc around for the whole time you never know what could happen.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

rosnarun

shocking news about michael walsh .he was a close neighbour of mine .  mayo and cross have lost a true friend . twas hard to go to a match but you'd meet him .
he really brought Crossmolina back to life when he took over the dolphin  he even had reversed the trend with some ballina heads heading out to Cross but some women came as well so well forgive him for that. :)
may he RIP

the Deel Rover

Quote from: rosnarun on February 27, 2008, 11:23:30 AM
shocking news about michael walsh .he was a close neighbour of mine .  mayo and cross have lost a true friend . twas hard to go to a match but you'd meet him .
he really brought Crossmolina back to life when he took over the dolphin  he even had reversed the trend with some ballina heads heading out to Cross but some women came as well so well forgive him for that. :)
may he RIP

never seen him as happy as the night Andy Merrigan arrived in Cross, what a night you couldn't swing a cat in the dolphin that night happy memories
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

stephenite

Great football man indeed, always had a word for you even if it was only after a junior game and you were in the Dolphin for a pint after.

rosnarun

thats for sure i couldn't get in from what i remember . still the night must have cost him a fortune ive never seen a bar man so ready to buy customers a drink . not sure i ever bought one in his time there still us simple Letterbrick folk have to stick together.

Davitt Man

Scheduling of club games concerns players
By: William Nestor

THE Mayo GAA County Board have come under strong criticism from clubs and players around the county, by scheduling the first two rounds of league fixtures on Bank Holiday weekends. The first-round of all matches are provisionally fixed for St Patrick's Day, March 17, and the following round to be played on the following Easter Bank Holiday weekend.

Club players in Mayo have expressed their discontent at the decision taken by the County Board to play all matches on the Bank Holiday weekends. The announcement by the County Board was made in lieu of Ballina's defeat to Nemo Rangers in the All-Ireland Club SFC Semi-Final.

If Ballina had won, the league fixtures would more than likely have had to be put back, as the final is contested on Monday, March 17.

However, the County Board have denied this. "The match fixtures would still have gone ahead even if Ballina had won," said Paddy McNicholas, Vice-Chairman of the County Board.

The short notice of the fixtures gives club managers only three weeks to prepare for the start of their respective campaigns, but it is the players' dissatisfaction that their holiday periods have been hindered by having to play on the Bank Holiday periods that has raised the most concern.

Both Mayo senior hurling and football teams are in competition on the Saturday and Sunday respectively of the St Patrick's weekend pile-up.

T he county teams are not in action on the following weekend, apart from the Mayo U-21s, so it is expected that matches will be spread over the Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

An Intermediate club player has brandished it "ridicu-lous" that everyone has to play on two Bank Holiday weekends in a row. "Hopefully we can play on Saturday evenings or Sundays then lads could have some free time to them-selves," he said.

Some clubs around the county have asked the County Board for their matches to be changed from the Bank Holiday Mondays in order to relieve the weekends for their players. The Mayo County Board have said the dates fixed for matches are "indicative" and may be subject to change.

At a time when there is much talk of player burn-out in GAA circles, it is quite possible that Mayo dual star Keith Higgins may find himself playing three matches in three days: Mayo hurling (Saturday), Mayo football (Sunday) and Ballyhaunis club football (Monday).

Even if matches are switched to Saturdays and Sundays, it still remains an issue that players' long weekends are disrupted. There are many dual players around the county that will have to juggle both codes over the St Patrick's weekend.

There will be a meeting held tonight (Tuesday) by the County Board to finalise dates for all club matches for both weekends.

Champ15

Anybody hear how the county board meeting went last nite
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005

prewtna

as i said to davitt man one night at training, we dont mind when the matches are played, so much as not knowing when they wont be played! if that makes sense!! having them on two bank holidays in a row is a bit rich alright but at least there is certainty. where the real annoyance arises is when you dont now from one end of the year to the other when or if mtches will be played. a fixed numder of weekends should be declared free of matches at the start of the year (including replays or postponed matches) and no match under any circumstance should be played on those specified weekends, bank holiday weekends would be a good starting point!