Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

We all said we'd give Dempsey a chance when he was appointed, despite him not having a good managerial record, chance has been given and has not been taken, time to go Ray

stephenite

Quote from: stephenite on June 24, 2007, 02:12:05 PM
Quote from: ludermor on June 23, 2007, 01:01:57 PM
he some man to throw shapes and then run back into his box when anyone comes near him.

I assume you have some examples to back this statement up?

Ludermor any chance of an 'oul example

Barney

What do ye mean Ray has got to go.

He is going to get a long-term deal now - out after one game - dream scenario for the county board. No bills to pick up, and they will hope that the good work being done at minor level can be brought on to senior level.

ludermor

Stephenite,
sorry didnt your earlier. I take my comment back, i dont know what i was thinking, Ger Brady is fearless leader who never shirks any challange.

mannix

Lets all hope that Ger is able for a wing back spot.He is a good lad but defensively I suppose JOM will have to be trusted with the picking if he does put him there.TMort would be a better defender I think and I would have no problem with himas a halfback on the wing.C Mac is laid up again, mayo will beat cavan and no matter who we draw after this game they will be tough and mac will be needed.
I hope Mac has a great few months for Mayo, he will probably leave along with others after the championship win or lose.I think with the league run, last years run and the experience on the line and the pitch that Mayo will go close again this year.Kerry are my big worry and they lost a few big names from last year so they may not be as strong and the donaghy factor may become a dud if the likes of kilcullen or brady were on his case from the start of a game.
Tyrone and co are already thinking sam,dublin too after their win over meath and how nice it would be to get dublin or tyrone in a final, we may even have a chance.

blast05

QuoteAnd worst of all he didnt have any food for players after training. Imagine finishing school in Belmullet or somewhere like that and perhaps having to leave early for training and no dinner or food afterwards?

From talking to the father of 1 of the minor players on Friday, he said the story about not getting fed is bullshit. They got fed after every training session and match. True about the cars though

highking

Mayo Team just released. Lots of talking points. David Kilcullen at CHB. Did anyone see that coming?

David Clarke, Aidan Higgins, Liam O'Malley, Trevor Howley, Peadar Gardiner (Capt), David Kilcullen, Trevor Mortimer, David Heaney, David Brady, Billy Joe Padden, Pierce Hanley, Alan Dillon, Conor Mortimer, Barry Moran, Andy Moran.

Davitt Man

Quote from: highking on July 04, 2007, 10:41:27 PM
Mayo Team just released. Lots of talking points. David Kilcullen at CHB. Did anyone see that coming?

David Clarke, Aidan Higgins, Liam O'Malley, Trevor Howley, Peadar Gardiner (Capt), David Kilcullen, Trevor Mortimer, David Heaney, David Brady, Billy Joe Padden, Pierce Hanley, Alan Dillon, Conor Mortimer, Barry Moran, Andy Moran.
I am very very surprised to see Kilcullen, Moran, and Hanley starting. Its a very strange team, i dunno what to make of it. IMO Hanley isnt ready for senior action, Kilcullen while he is physicallly strong isnt ready yet either and where has barry moran come out of, no mention of him in ages. Kilcullen wasnt deemed good enough for no.6 on the u-21 team this year, cunniffe was ahead of him and yet he is no.6 for the SENIOR team. I know he plays at 6 for ballagh but still. Hanely is a great prospect but people will expect to much from him, the one lesson he needs to learn is to pass the ball, he has a terrible habbit of head down and solo away aimlessly, he needs to look up and give and go. I reckon we should beat cavan but thats it i reckon if we draw a decent team we will get beat. We cant make that many changes to team in the middle of c\ship and expect to have a long summer. No chucky either! our captain! Where we are going with Trev Mort as a wing back is beyond me, no doubt he will make 1 great lung bursting run and the crowd will will love it but he will get found sooner rather than later, the lad cant tackle to save his life and he tends to fowl in the tackle,i always maintained his best position is 14 as a great ball winner. Poor billie joe been shoved from piller to post i dunno how he puts up with it!

mannix

Its a different team for sure,barry moran could do with another stone to save his poor body from the abuse he will get in there.At that rate would james kilcullen have been a better option at full forward, I mean its not as though barry is a forward that will score, maybe a man to aim for and he will  break it but not a scorer in y book.J kilcullen has the muscle to beat 99% of backs if that is the path we have chosen, barry is in for a rough time even if we win on saturday.
Any way its good to see change, they were dead on their feet against galway and remember its not kerry we are playing on saturday and jom knows it so its time to shock a few lads out of the slumber.Its a big game but the second Mayo 15 would be well able for cavan,a good game to try out a few new ideas.
Mayo by 7 points even if some of you think I am overconfident.Hanley and co have enough class and speed to beat cavan,if not I promise to kiss a man from cavan( ok,ok,well maybe not a man but i will definetly kiss a woman from there).

rosnarun

QuoteMayo by 7 points
Mindless enthusiasm I love it but i thought that was my duty on these pages . i have never seen mayo fans as confident going in to any game Bar london and its giving me a real bad feeling. what ever troubles cavan are having they are a good football county and with the exception of a few outstanding player most counties are not half as weakened by withdrawls as you would think . remember we are missing higgins and Mcdonald K o'malley and   ::) austie . I just hope this wasnt JOM thinking when picking such an experimental team
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

intoDwest

where do we go from here...............................................some fall from grace.

Who do we blame for this shambles? The management? The players? The lack of Players? The structures setup in Mayo football? The election? Bev?

All I know is that JOM is getting off very lightly over this. I would love to have read some of the columns in the western (well one in particular) if Micky Moran had sailed the ship onto the rocks like this.

A complete shambles, I have no problem being knocked out of the All Ireland but some of the selections over the year have been baffling, fellows starting games then deemed not good enough only suddenly to appear again. The complete lack of experimentation during the league. I'm really at a loss to sum up how I feel.

We should just bite the bullet now, forget about all irelands etc for 3 years. Get the best footballers in the county from the ages of 19-23 (along with the core group of the mid 20's that are already in the squad). Put a program in place that will have in 3 years a large squad of player from the ages of 22 to 28 physically ready to compete at the required level. Look at the players that we will have available, devise a system that would suit the players that we have available and work towards perfecting it over the next 3 years. Forget short, its time to look long term now.

I'm ranting on a bit but it is time to start afresh.

mayoman dan

i dont think getting rid of jom would solve much we would still have the same problems for some new manager to sort out.j killcullen starting every league game at fb and then forgoten about for the championship was complete madness.personally i didnt think he was to bad and with some work he could still solve our fb problem.i agree about long term planning and we seriously need a system that suits our players.i was amazed by some of the managements decisions this year but they need time and i would blame the players more than management.certain players look to be more interested in their own performance than the good of the team and some players look to have no interest whatsoever.we started saturday witout our captain or vice captain on the field i think that sums up mayo this year.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: intoDwest on July 17, 2007, 02:55:25 PM
All I know is that JOM is getting off very lightly over this.

Very true. I would feel hypocritical to criticise as I couldn't make the game due to work commitments but O'Mahony should accept some of the blame. As mayoman dan said the captain and vice captain didn't even start, who is to blame for that but the manager. Why did he pick O'Neill as captain if he was going to give him brief cameos from the bench? As well as that, our fullback position seemed to become more of a problem than anything else as the year went on. You could say the whole defence became more of a problem.

Anyhow, it's better to get beaten by 10 points at this stage than to suffer another humiliation in September in my book and after last year's trouncing it was always going to be hard to get back to the final again. But I think the last 10/11 years could have and should have been a period of at least 2 AI titles. Lord knows we had the players. Now, I really don't know what to think.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fishead_Sam

Rosnaruns response to my origional post on the Doire V Maigh-Eo thread.

Quote from: rosnarun on July 19, 2007, 10:49:15 AM
I too agree with 90% of waht barney said including for the 1st time ever on P gardiner which make me think most people didnt read his post correctly.

you'll all be delighted to know this is My last say on the subject untill the couty board kick him out or he 'resigns'
in summarry
the wrong man was appointed for the wrong reasons at the wring time and he accepted it for the wrong reason.
he fecked up a team of potential All ireland winners in to a team that gets beaten by the likes of derry and godhelp us donegal. At least in the end he brought in a few new faces after he realize what a bags he made of things but then he completly chickened out with 15 minutes to go  and tried to revert to Mickey morans team and mayo went from being level to being humiliated as they lost all shep and looked like headless leaderless chickens and poor aidan campbell was made a laughing stock of.
BUT yet people on this board are still trying to make the facts fit the Jom is till our lord god and Messiah see below.

and BTW when id thisd master stoke Of Kevin O neill as captain going to pay off

This was supposed to be a Positive reponse?

1. The players for one are all a year older than last year.  negative Excuses . this is a suprise?.
2. Ciaran McDonald is NOT the countries best player. negative Excuses matter of opinion dara ose only comp.
3. Peadar Gardiner is a back who can attack but not defend.negative Excuses. cliched bullshit.
4. Geraghty is far too small.negative Excuses never ever let mayo down .
5. Kenneth O'Malley is just coming back from injury. negative Excuses still better than clarke .
6. Kilcoyne is an excellent forward, but as of yet he never tracks back to help with the defence, O'Mahoney is trying to train him to do this & rest assured once he improves in this aspect he will be playing alot.negative Excuses if we have more excellent for wards wed never lose any game .
7. Marty Mac is a great talent, but he needs to show it more at County level when he gets yet another shot.negative Excuses Marty Mac is a great talentPeriod .
8. David Brady is no longer anything more than a bit player, & he has not been @ his best of late.negative Excuses. so why was half the country goining crazzty to have him on the team and who's better?.
9. Our midfield is seriously crippled in comparrison to 2004 & 2006 because of Ronan McGarritys illness.negative Excuses all teams have injuries.
10. Under-21s dont suddenly become great Senior players without time & coaching.negative Excuses Im confused are the team too old or too young?.
11. Our so called traditional style of football has not delivered an All-Ireland in 56 going on 57 years.negative Excuses  and a high ball to barry moran at the cost of all other stategy will?.
12. O'Mahoney has set up shadow panels who are all on skills, weight training and correct diets, it will show over the next two years.Done before omahony came
13. In reality I'm sure Moran & Morrison are looking @ their harsh treatment as a blessing in disguise.(why becaause JOM ballsed it up?)
)
14. We tried players that looked great in the Club Championship such as Devanney, he wasn't up to the pace.negative ( i alway said he was crap does that mean you dont try any other players #? horse shit .
15. Keith Higgins was a massive loss (more so to the hurlers)negative Excuses see num 9.
16. A new set of players take time to gel together.  negative Excuses most managers  do best in their 1st year .
17. Drop the Political Bullshit & people might take your football related argument more seriously. (even barney knows this was a huge factor)

Thank you and goodnight

Jaz Rosnarun, at least ya have a sence of humour  ;D

intoDwest

He is consistent thats for sure. I'm still depressed over the whole thing, the league is a long way away.