Inter-county clashes worth €192m to Irish economy

Started by Joxer, November 15, 2010, 12:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joxer

QuoteNew findings indicate that GAA players and inter-county clashes add €192m per annum to the Irish economy.

These figures come from a report commissioned by the Gaelic Players Association. On the back of the report, GPA spokesperson Sean Potts has asked the Department of Finance to consider the economic value of Gaelic games in the run up to the budget.

The Sunday Independent quotes Potts as saying: 'After just year one, the grants were hit by 70% and players were left with little or nothing.

'All of our members and players are very happy to be amateurs, everyone agrees on that, but we simply won't stand for discrimination just because of that status. The Government has to be seen to help us now.

'Our commissioned report shows what the players and the GAA are doing for the Irish economy.

'The fact that €192m per annum is generated by the GAA and its players surely cannot be ignored. If all sports are cut their allowances, then I don't know if we can do anything but if only certain sports are targeted, people need to realise that we've already taken our medicine and we shouldn't have to take any more.

'Two years ago, an All-Ireland medal winner would receive €2,400 through this grant. That's now down to €800. Those at the lower end of the scale only get €400. We've already suffered.

'If people think they are going to slash and burn their way through this allocation without us protecting the players, they are wrong.'

Zapatista

I wonder how much the clubs generate?

I might commision a report.

lynchbhoy

..so mr taoiseach, give us the grants back (and double them ) or we call a players strike....

is this where the gpa are looking for money now...

seafoid

Inter county matches are priceless

As Fr Harry Bohan once said, it is very hard to imagine the county without the senior hurling team .
And even though fuball is obviously inferior I'm sure the same goes for it. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

cornafean

That's a very strange statement by Potts. He says that the grants are worth 'little or nothing' to the players, yet the heavens will fall if they're scrapped.  The GPA needs to hire a PR professional to avoid this sort of mixed message.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

fearglasmor

dublinfella

Can someone explain to me how they 'add' money to the Irish economy?

I understand that they add money to local economies when people go to places they wouldn't go to for games, but what they appear to be claiming is €192m is being added to GDP via GAA games. If I am reading the press release right, they are all over the place. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on November 16, 2010, 11:25:22 AM

I understand that they add money to local economies when people go to places they wouldn't go to for games, but what they appear to be claiming is €192m is being added to GDP via GAA games. If I am reading the press release right, they are all over the place.
youd be better off asking the gpa or mr potts for clarification...no one here could speak for them i'd say - apart from maybe Bud - as he is now a GPA member , or so he said...

they must have some stats/algorithms to back up this claim/survey outwith this press release

Bogball XV

Quote from: dublinfella on November 16, 2010, 11:25:22 AM

Nordies heading south for a big day out, filling the car way cheap fuel on the way home.  Ex-pats flying home for matches, the money setanta makes from selling it's product in bars and online across the world...........

stephenite

You accept that monies are added to local economies but can't join the dots as to how this benefits the national economy?

dublinfella

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 16, 2010, 11:28:16 AM

Nordies heading south for a big day out, filling the car way cheap fuel on the way home.  Ex-pats flying home for matches, the money setanta makes from selling it's product in bars and online across the world...........

€192m worth?

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on November 16, 2010, 11:29:32 AM
You accept that monies are added to local economies but can't join the dots as to how this benefits the national economy?

Yes. Someone from Kerry coming to Dublin for a game and having a feed and a pint or two benifits Dublin to the detriment of Kerry, but at a national level, its net neutral.

There isn't €192m more knocking around the country as a result of people watching games, which is what the GPA are claiming

Bogball XV

Quote from: dublinfella on November 16, 2010, 11:36:06 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 16, 2010, 11:28:16 AM

€192m worth?
they drink a lot of pints you know.  Most drive huge 4x4's that take about €100 to fill too.
Nordies tend to stay the weekend in Dublin too, thereby spending on hotels and michelin star restaurants too.
Ex-pats comig home normally have no access to tickets for the big games, thus they spend maybe ten times the face value on tickets, normally buy up 2 tickets as they want the american wife to come and see the unbridled joy that victory brings.  I addition, the ex-pats spend fortunes on buying drink for all their mates (who consequently spend nothing) all night long, just to show how well they've done for themselves since emigrating.

dublinfella

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 16, 2010, 11:58:46 AM

they drink a lot of pints you know.  Most drive huge 4x4's that take about €100 to fill too.
Nordies tend to stay the weekend in Dublin too, thereby spending on hotels and michelin star restaurants too.
Ex-pats comig home normally have no access to tickets for the big games, thus they spend maybe ten times the face value on tickets, normally buy up 2 tickets as they want the american wife to come and see the unbridled joy that victory brings.  I addition, the ex-pats spend fortunes on buying drink for all their mates (who consequently spend nothing) all night long, just to show how well they've done for themselves since emigrating.

One million punters were at the championship this year. Even if we take a very liberal 200,000 of those being from the 6 counties or overseas, thats an average spend of €960 per person per game.

Not buying that myself.

Bogball XV

Quote from: dublinfella on November 16, 2010, 12:04:55 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 16, 2010, 11:58:46 AM

One million punters were at the championship this year. Even if we take a very liberal 200,000 of those being from the 6 counties or overseas, thats an average spend of €960 per person per game.

Not buying that myself.

€100 for fuel
€75 for tickets
€200 for accommodation
€85 for eating
€100 for recreational pursuits - paint balling, go-karting and the like
€150 for drink
€44 for taxis
€95 clamping fine
€2.50 for Sunday newspaper
€23 for hats, flags and cheap chocolate
€5 for match programme
€80.50 bet on the game in Boylesports on Dorset St (which obviously loses)