British Forces training at Curragh Camp?

Started by T Fearon, November 17, 2017, 08:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Just listened to Boris thanking the Free State on radio for training British Forces at the Curragh? Who knew that?

shark

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ireland-and-uk-agree-historic-defence-agreement-1.2062356

That's old news. However, policy is that there can never be any more than 12 foreign military personnel from any 1 country on deployment here at any one time. There could be 144 soldiers from 12 different countries, but not 13 from any 1.

T Fearon

It was news to me.Even if there are only two British soldiers being trained,British Forces are being trained there.

shark

Quote from: T Fearon on November 17, 2017, 09:07:40 AM
It was news to me.Even if there are only two British soldiers being trained,British Forces are being trained there.

Yes, along with many other countries. It is a United Nations training school and they are all United Nations member states. Likewise, many Irish personnel undertake training courses in the UK. Both forces have been deployed side by side in Mali for a few years now.

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on November 17, 2017, 09:07:40 AM
Where will your "Northern (sic)Ireland army" train?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

passedit

I presume Boris was there for the Mutiny Module?
Don't Panic

Shamrock Shore

Tony.

Any objection to the RAF being first responders if Russian aircraft get to close to the Irish coast?

Our paper airplanes wouldn't be much use.

Jim_Murphy_74

T Fearon

MoChara

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 17, 2017, 10:35:30 AM
Tony.

Any objection to the RAF being first responders if Russian aircraft get to close to the Irish coast?

Why would we be any more worried about Russian Aircraft than British?

lurganblue

Quote from: T Fearon on November 17, 2017, 11:07:47 AM
Is this really what 1916 was for?

It wasn't for a divided island either but you are happy enough with that sure.

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on November 17, 2017, 11:07:47 AM
Is this really what 1916 was for?
Cooperation between sovereign states?
I'd say it's connected alright.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owen Brannigan

Tony.

Why worried about the Russians when you were happy to let US land at Shannon as part of its war effort? Neutrality?

shark

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 17, 2017, 11:58:18 AM
Tony.

Why worried about the Russians when you were happy to let US land at Shannon as part of its war effort? Neutrality?

it's not exactly the same thing. The US ask our permission and tell us in advance. The Russians don't.

We are militarily non-aligned, not neutral. We had officers in ISAF for 10 years and are still contributing personnnel to the NATO mission in Kosovo.

T Fearon

If you take James Mc Clean as the litmus test,I doubt if he'd be happy