All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 11, 2017, 01:13:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2017, 12:19:04 PM
How many peilople have been injured in a pitch invasion. Ever.

Probably fewer than the number of GAA players who have been paralysed after drinking  .
You arr missing the point.
Corporate GAA decided to ban pitch invasions because of the fear of litigation if someone sustained injuries while running onto the pitch and/or acting the buck eejit while on it. The hike in insurance premiums had to be taken into account also.
As I see it, you may sue or be sued in the event of injuries sustained during an invasion but the GAA can't be held responsible for whatever transpires if you lep the fence.
Was it an insurance or a cultural decision?
Did insurance premiums go up? If so, why  ?

dublin7

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2017, 01:26:19 PM

Probably fewer than the number of GAA players who have been paralysed after drinking  .
Corporate GAA decided to ban pitch invasions because of the fear of litigation if someone sustained injuries while running onto the pitch and/or acting the buck eejit while on it. The hike in insurance premiums had to be taken into account also.
As I see it, you may sue or be sued in the event of injuries sustained during an invasion but the GAA can't be held responsible for whatever transpires if you lep the fence.

It was an insurance/health & safety decision. In such a litigious country as Ireland were people seem to look for any excuse to sue it was only a matter of time before a claim would be made. I remember a spokesman for Croke Park when the pitch invasions were banned revealing that they once got a cleaning bill from a woman in Tyrone who slipped on the grass after running on to the pitch. ::) ::) ::)

I agree with keeping the fans off the pitch. It gives the players the chance to enjoy the moment with their teammates. I know Bernard Brogan after the 2011 final said he enjoyed just sitting on the pitch with a few teammates and just soaking up the moment.

yellowcard

Name one, just one, incident of a GAA person suing after invading the pitch at an AI final. Maybe there were a series of litigious claims that I'm not aware of but I severely doubt it, it's just pc nonsense. The reality is it's a shift further away from the ideals of the association and just imitates big business professional sport. 

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: dublin7 on September 11, 2017, 02:12:45 PM

I agree with keeping the fans off the pitch. It gives the players the chance to enjoy the moment with their teammates. I know Bernard Brogan after the 2011 final said he enjoyed just sitting on the pitch with a few teammates and just soaking up the moment.
Yeah, I was very much against the banning of the pitch invasion to celebrate success. But I'm completely on the other side now. A proper lap of honour is far better. It allows the players to savour the victory and the fans to applaud and sing as they do so. 

bucko

Quote from: yellowcard on September 11, 2017, 02:34:45 PM

Name one, just one, incident of a GAA person suing after invading the pitch at an AI final. Maybe there were a series of litigious claims that I'm not aware of but I severely doubt it, it's just pc nonsense. The reality is it's a shift further away from the ideals of the association and just imitates big business professional sport.
Not in Croker or an all Ireland final but it has happened.
https://www.google.ie/amp/amp.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/personal-injury-claims-after-limerick-pitch-invasion-253261.html

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on September 11, 2017, 02:42:28 PM
Is invading a pitch an ideal?
It's emotion.

The ceremony now is the purest shite
The music is atrocious
Corporate blandness at the heart of Irish sporting emotion.
The history of insanity intruding on the sane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f8JI9R5Suo

It is an abomination

the commercial director is a total flute

seafoid

Quote from: dublin7 on September 11, 2017, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2017, 01:26:19 PM

It was an insurance/health & safety decision. In such a litigious country as Ireland were people seem to look for any excuse to sue it was only a matter of time before a claim would be made. I remember a spokesman for Croke Park when the pitch invasions were banned revealing that they once got a cleaning bill from a woman in Tyrone who slipped on the grass after running on to the pitch. ::) ::) ::)

I think a big fea ture of the corporate GAA is the contempt the suits have for the Punters.  The sky deal is another. Whichever teacher was top dog in 2012 said anyone objecting was a moaner that could not be pleased.

I think Croke Park is a liability at this stage. . IT is expensive to run and they don't mind running a coach and horses through customary practice.

Syferus

72-page AI final supplement in the Western People today. Lolol-key build-up it is, as usual.

Orchard park

cant blame commercial media sell advertising space on the big event of the year in fairness

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 11, 2017, 11:46:59 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 11, 2017, 02:23:49 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 11, 2017, 02:03:33 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 10, 2017, 11:04:22 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 10, 2017, 09:31:45 PM
Mayo by 2 followed by a huge pitch invasion! Should be some battle at HQ. Colm Boyle MotM and wins PotY!

If Mayo win it and DONT invade the pitch following an outpouring of emotion it will be a sad day for the GAA. Couldn't believe the sanity of the Galway fans in the hurling final.

I was against the pitch invasion ban at first but I actually think it's much better for the players now that they are not mauled by bucklepping yahoos straight after the final whistle so can enjoy it amongst each other, the backroom staff and their families.

Did you see what it meant to the Roscommon players in Salthill being lifted shoulder high by the supporters? Probably one of the indelible images of summer 2017. Moments like that are primal, and are the very essence of what the GAA is - it's not just about the team or the management, it's about the community they come from that that supports them too. In those moments everyone is one big family.

Ye robbed yer county of an even greater moment by not invading the pitch, but honestly no one was surprised that Galway supporters wouldn't do it. For all their flaws I doubt Mayo supporters would make the same mistake.
All very valid points, Syf and I know many others would feel the same way as you but the reality is that the GAA must move with the times.  Compensationitis is endemic in our society and the loolas who charge onto the field without regard for life or limb  will be the first ones to contact a solicitor if they receive a knock or get discommoded in any way.
At the time the pitch invasions were outlawed, the GAA announced that the ban was being introduced for legal reasons. My take on it is that if you charge onto the pitch like a runaway bull you do so at your own peril.
It would be bad enough getting injured in the mad melee but being sued by a fellow laitcheko for damages, real or imagined, caused by your exuberance is very possible.
With regard to Mayo supporters "making the same mistake," my feeling is that, since we've waited so long to win the damn Sam, I would be happy to wait a few days longer to congratulate the players, preferably back in Mayo.

I'd prefer to use the word celebration than invasion and pitch celebrations have only been outlawed in Croke Park. At the weekend Limerick supporters ran onto field as their hurlers won the U21 All Ireland those scenes are much better to view and be involved with than the current muted celebrations in Croke park.

As for compensations,health and safety etc Croke park had concerts this summer where fans were allowed onto the field and you were as likely to get injured at those concerts as running onto the pitch after All Ireland final.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 09, 2017, 08:36:50 PM
Seen as the thing in cbar mall got cancelled i think they should show the game in mchale park

It's back on now. Fair play to the businessses that got involved. Elverys, McGraths waste, Staunton's pharmacy, Shaws and multi-colour printing
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Rossfan

Well done.
By the way what's with  Abbeylara GAA Club sticking Good luck Mayo signs along the N4 round Longford?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

highorlow

Some of David Drakes people are from Abbeylara. His aul lad, Noel, played for Longford.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on September 11, 2017, 07:40:04 PM
Some of David Drakes people are from Abbeylara. His aul lad, Noel, played for Longford.

Half the towns on the N4 wishes team X well for a big game, though. It's nothing special, and a tiny bit desperate.