All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: An Watcher on September 08, 2017, 11:42:02 AM
I always look forward to all Ireland final day but I really can't be bothered this year.  Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come.  Things have gone a bit stale with the Dubs and to a lesser extent mayo.
Yep, the contrast with the hurling final pairing is stark. I dislike the Mayo footballers anyway but at this stage am just fed up of them more than anything.

bucko

it is hard to argue against Dublin being favourites. Undefeated in championship football since 2014, their form, their standard of play and that they appear to be playing better at this stage compared to this time last year all stacks in their our favour. Our form from losing to Galway to the draw against Roscommon could best be described as schizophrenic and in no way looking like we'd get to a final. However the performances since have been impressive, essentially we got three consistent 70 minute performances playing to a high standard. Credit has to go to the management and players for finding and sustaining that momentum.
While all the focus has been on Dublin's kick outs, their options all over the pitch and off the bench which they definitely have an edge on us, what stands out for me is their execution of basic skills. There's a lot of moaning out there about Dublin' s possession game, Killkenny's lateral movement and passing etc but you have to admire the slickness of Dublin's handpassing, the quick hands, the weight, pace and accuracy of the pass. The receiver is always able to to come onto it at full tilt, rarely if ever having to adjust his run or body to take it. On the other hand, on more than one occasion in every match this year we've played passes that put pressure on the receiver, forcing the receiver to check his run, to stretch over his head, reach behind him or take the ball off his bootlaces. It's kills momuntum from the attack and it's a missed opportunity, worst case it's a turnover and we're on the back foot. It's something we seem to do every game and is a definite weakness.
I'd still see two reasons to give some hope. Firstly is Kildare's performance in the Leinster final. While it seems I might be grabbing at straws, the fact is that Kildare did not set up defensively, played football moving the ball at pace, created opportunities and put up a decent score. Second is the fact that Dublin have played their last two matches against northern teams who went completely defensive and stood off Dublin, allowing them time and space on the ball a lot of the time. Both matches were won a long way out and while that reflects on the quality of this Dublin team, the question can still be asked are Dublin coming into this final untested now? I know Dublin supporters who, while confident, would've preferred a tougher semi final than what they got.  Mayo will play completely differently to both Monaghan and Tyrone, while Dublin are justified favourites it's fair to say they won't have it as comfortable as they had in their last two matches.

straightred

Quote from: bucko on September 08, 2017, 12:08:40 PM
it is hard to argue against Dublin being favourites. Undefeated in championship football since 2014, their form, their standard of play and that they appear to be playing better at this stage compared to this time last year all stacks in their our favour. Our form from losing to Galway to the draw against Roscommon could best be described as schizophrenic and in no way looking like we'd get to a final. However the performances since have been impressive, essentially we got three consistent 70 minute performances playing to a high standard. Credit has to go to the management and players for finding and sustaining that momentum.
While all the focus has been on Dublin's kick outs, their options all over the pitch and off the bench which they definitely have an edge on us, what stands out for me is their execution of basic skills. There's a lot of moaning out there about Dublin' s possession game, Killkenny's lateral movement and passing etc but you have to admire the slickness of Dublin's handpassing, the quick hands, the weight, pace and accuracy of the pass. The receiver is always able to to come onto it at full tilt, rarely if ever having to adjust his run or body to take it. On the other hand, on more than one occasion in every match this year we've played passes that put pressure on the receiver, forcing the receiver to check his run, to stretch over his head, reach behind him or take the ball off his bootlaces. It's kills momuntum from the attack and it's a missed opportunity, worst case it's a turnover and we're on the back foot. It's something we seem to do every game and is a definite weakness.
I'd still see two reasons to give some hope. Firstly is Kildare's performance in the Leinster final. While it seems I might be grabbing at straws, the fact is that Kildare did not set up defensively, played football moving the ball at pace, created opportunities and put up a decent score. Second is the fact that Dublin have played their last two matches against northern teams who went completely defensive and stood off Dublin, allowing them time and space on the ball a lot of the time. Both matches were won a long way out and while that reflects on the quality of this Dublin team, the question can still be asked are Dublin coming into this final untested now? I know Dublin supporters who, while confident, would've preferred a tougher semi final than what they got.  Mayo will play completely differently to both Monaghan and Tyrone, while Dublin are justified favourites it's fair to say they won't have it as comfortable as they had in their last two matches.
No disrespect to Kildare but I dont think you can take anything from that game. Dublin seem to have timed their run this year and they were barely up to speed that day. They got a couple of early goals and the game was effectively over. They had no intensity in defence and that allowed Kildare to run up a score. Kildare's subsequent defeat to Armagh and their hammering by tyrone backs this up. Dublin upped it against Monaghan and then again against Tyrone. You can say that they would have liked a tougher match up to now but I simply think that they so far ahead the moment that this isn't possible (unless Dublin have a off day). Mayo will approach it differently but I can't see any other outcome than a 5 plus point victory for Dublin. That is not dissing Mayo bur rather simply recognising that this is a seriously good Dublin team.

bucko

Quote from: straightred on September 08, 2017, 12:18:36 PM
Quote from: bucko on September 08, 2017, 12:08:40 PM
No disrespect to Kildare but I dont think you can take anything from that game. Dublin seem to have timed their run this year and they were barely up to speed that day. They got a couple of early goals and the game was effectively over. They had no intensity in defence and that allowed Kildare to run up a score. Kildare's subsequent defeat to Armagh and their hammering by tyrone backs this up. Dublin upped it against Monaghan and then again against Tyrone. You can say that they would have liked a tougher match up to now but I simply think that they so far ahead the moment that this isn't possible (unless Dublin have a off day). Mayo will approach it differently but I can't see any other outcome than a 5 plus point victory for Dublin. That is not dissing Mayo bur rather simply recognising that this is a seriously good Dublin team.
Kildare had a good spell early in the second half of that match with a saved goal chance that would've made it a three point game. I'm not saying Kildare could've have gone on and won it but on the day Dublin's back six didn't look impenetrable when being played by a more attack minded game. I'd agree about Dublin not being at full tilt that day, but in late July they're not going to be that far off it either. The main point is that the Dublin defence have played a lot of football over the last two games on the front foot, they may well have to adapt to something different Sunday week.

highorlow

This Dublin team are finished. Too much king of the hill carry on and advertising face creams.

We will show them soon what real men are made of.

This is our year, I'm certain of it.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Lar Naparka

Quote from: highorlow on September 08, 2017, 09:39:47 PM
This Dublin team are finished. Too much king of the hill carry on and advertising face creams.

We will show them soon what real men are made of.

This is our year, I'm certain of it.
Aye, they are gone too soft entirely. Getting their lunch sandwiches delivered by helicopter!
Well, that's what a rare oul' Dub told me the other night and who would I be to doubt his word?

(Mind you, he had spent his day, alternating between a bookie slip and a bar stool, as per usual.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

highorlow

The Dubs are fairly hurt over the hurling. It's not long ago they were batein Galway.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Hound

Quote from: highorlow on September 09, 2017, 12:01:03 AM
The Dubs are fairly hurt over the hurling. It's not long ago they were batein Galway.
Rumours flying around that Pat Gilroy to be given the hurling job to try and do with the hurlers what he did with the footballers (apparently he never hurled passed minor). And Diarmuid Connolly to throw his lot in with the hurlers next year which is why Jim Gavin gave him so little time in the semi...

omaghjoe

Quote from: Mayoffs on September 08, 2017, 11:22:34 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 08, 2017, 06:15:10 AM
Quote from: Mayoffs on September 07, 2017, 09:56:11 PM
A very low key build up so far. Heard some head case on MWR giving out that there's not enough flags or fanfare going on, he either has a very short memory or has gone insane. Was saying there's not enough song's, well I nominate this song as our anthem for the final.......
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Ae-LhMIG0

Tomás Ó Sé commented on the Sunday Game that our players were ravenous against Kerry. Well they'll have to play like starved, haven't eaten in months, raving lunatic animals on Sunday fortnight to beat the Dubs, and I think they will. Fingers crossed.

Maybe Del Amitri could pen one for yis with a similar theme to this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJAf2PXwS8

Had a good laugh at that one, how bad were Scotland in '98 to warrant such negativity in the run up to a world cup?

They were actually alright it was more their history of going out in the first round think it was the last 5 or something they had done that.
An unfortunate Tom Boyd OG in the opening game with a draw within their grasp agin Brazil looked promising but it all ended with a hammering by Morroco to restore familiarity.

yellowcard

Quote from: Hound on September 09, 2017, 07:35:51 AM
Rumours flying around that Pat Gilroy to be given the hurling job to try and do with the hurlers what he did with the footballers (apparently he never hurled passed minor). And Diarmuid Connolly to throw his lot in with the hurlers next year which is why Jim Gavin gave him so little time in the semi...

Some people must have learnt nothing from the Mayweather v McGregor fight.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: yellowcard on September 09, 2017, 12:34:27 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 09, 2017, 07:35:51 AM

Some people must have learnt nothing from the Mayweather v McGregor fight.

Tbf I think McGregors attempt at boxing was better than Dublin attempt at hurling
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

From the Bunker

Very low key down here in Mayo! Most resigned in Public to another defeat to Dublin on their home turf! God be with the days of the Hype before a final!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 09, 2017, 01:40:38 PM
Very low key down here in Mayo! Most resigned in Public to another defeat to Dublin on their home turf! God be with the days of the Hype before a final!

No sense them.travelling so , could always give me the ticket rather than wasting it.  Absolute bonkers if.you dont think we will win it this time and with a bit to spare too. Nothing will stop Mayo now , ive never been as convinced .  It will be a glorious day for GAA  and Mayo. Hard to believe after all these years and im not going to be there when basically the dream ive had all.my life comes true. Cillian will lift the cup.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .