All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Hound on September 21, 2017, 04:27:44 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 21, 2017, 07:07:47 AM

Regarding the tees. Did Costello remove them from the pitch? Aren't they supposed to be off th pitch until the kick out is taken anyway? That's a genuine question as leaving them on he field could be dangerous?

That's correct. When Rock was getting ready, Clarke put his tee out on the pitch. So Costello saw it, took it and fired it away. It shouldnt be on the pitch so I don't think anyone would complain that that was too unreasonable. But after Costello threw the tee away, he then noticed two more tees at either post. Getting those two tees and firing them away, was clearly unreasonable.

Cheers for the answer hound. I didn't see the incident at all. Would it have made much of a difference as surely Clarke is capable of kicking the ball out without a tee

larryin89

Fair play hardy and I agree to an extent but the GAA either come down on all these antics or its bollix. The mental ferocity in which the dublin players started dragging out of our bucks in the dying minutes was so calculated , now if the ref awarded a free kick and handed mayo possession fourty yards out to where this was going on , it would of made some difference and teams might never engage in.this again.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Maroon Manc

Quote from: larryin89 on September 21, 2017, 06:43:03 PM
Fair play hardy and I agree to an extent but the GAA either come down on all these antics or its bollix. The mental ferocity in which the dublin players started dragging out of our bucks in the dying minutes was so calculated , now if the ref awarded a free kick and handed mayo possession fourty yards out to where this was going on , it would of made some difference and teams might never engage in.this again.

The black card is not enough of a deterrent for this type of behaviour and it won't stop it happening again. Conceding a 21 yard free would certainly be enough to deter the aggressor.

magpie seanie

Clarke might have been better off without a tee in hindsight.

dublin7

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 21, 2017, 06:50:19 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 21, 2017, 06:43:03 PM

The black card is not enough of a deterrent for this type of behaviour and it won't stop it happening again. Conceding a 21 yard free would certainly be enough to deter the aggressor.

I know it's a long time ago but in 2012 when Mayo last beat the dubs the mayo defence was constantly pulling down Dublin players in the last 15 min.

You can bitch and cry about the pulling at the end, but when Clarke kicked the ball over the cusack stand sideline with his last kick out he had 2 players free on the Hogan stand side of the pitch. Small margins and not a mistake Cluxtin would make. Joe McQuillan played nearly 3 minutes extra on top of the original 6 minutes injury time and let a few late hits on Dublin players go as they played keep ball. He did give them a real chance to win the ball back.

It's a shame that Dublin's 3 in a row is being almost ignored with all the coverage of the same old mayo story and also the Sunday game the night of the All Ireland final was not the time to discuss splitting Dublin. An insult to their achievements

larryin89

Dublin 7, absolutely Mayo did it in 12 and it was mayhem, I couldn't keep up with all the cynical stuff, physio s , water boy , mayo played f**k that year, I just want to see it stamped out as a whole if at all possible.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2017, 06:30:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 20, 2017, 11:20:47 PM
Throwing the gps at direction of the ball/player has been blown all out out proportion in my view, an act of desperation that is the same as someone shouting at a player taking a free or goal keeper banging the cross bar or the player throwing his hurl at the ball to try and block it... it's the final moments of an All Ireland final!

Third defeat by a single  point ! Give the man a break ffs! The amount of off the ball crap that goes on in games and this incident gets the headlines!!

Lord save me, I have heard this pathetic refrain far too much over the last few days.
"Sure we'd all do it!"
Give me a break.
I played the game for 20 years and I never saw anything like this happening on the field.
It is 100% inexcusable.
If you have no problem with Keegan throwing the GPS monitor, then answer me this, what would have happened if Dean Rock missed?
What??  ;D ;D
You never played junior football in Meath then!
I've seen and was involved in far worse in matches between Robinstown and Dunderry and that was before the ref threw in the ball.
What would have happened if Keegan stood too close the the free taker or otherwise tried sledging or running across Rock's line of vision as he went to kick the ball or anything else you can think of that could be termed obstruction?
Dublin Joe would order the free to be retaken, moved the ball forward and let Rock re-take the free.
That's standard procedure and this instance should not be any different.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

No one does themselves any favours with this "Dublin Joe" rubbish.

TheGreatest

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 22, 2017, 08:23:24 AM
No one does themselves any favours with this "Dublin Joe" rubbish.

Yeah if proper GAA men who played the game the wouldn't use that term, its cheap and immature and the man deserves respect.

Probably the most difficult game to ref all year. 100 pair of eyes.

He dished out enough yellow, reds and blacks that were correct, some frees maybe not on both sides but that's in every game

vallankumous

Quote from: larryin89 on September 21, 2017, 09:03:06 PM
Dublin 7, absolutely Mayo did it in 12 and it was mayhem, I couldn't keep up with all the cynical stuff, physio s , water boy , mayo played f**k that year, I just want to see it stamped out as a whole if at all possible.

You'd kill the discussion board.

I like that part of the game, if you take it out you take out some of the best characters we have.

Mac2

Quote from: larryin89 on September 21, 2017, 09:03:06 PM
And who called them out on it? Yes the great soothsayer Joe Brolly, and what did he repeat on Sun night after all those last minute antics, Dublin are a credit to the GAA.

Milltown Row2

Throwing the gps at direction of the ball/player has been blown all out out proportion in my view, an act of desperation that is the same as someone shouting at a player taking a free or goal keeper banging the cross bar or the player throwing his hurl at the ball to try and block it... it's the final moments of an All Ireland final!

Third defeat by a single  point ! Give the man a break ffs! The amount of off the ball crap that goes on in games and this incident gets the headlines!!

Lord save me, I have heard this pathetic refrain far too much over the last few days.
"Sure we'd all do it!"
Give me a break.
I played the game for 20 years and I never saw anything like this happening on the field.
It is 100% inexcusable.
If you have no problem with Keegan throwing the GPS monitor, then answer me this, what would have happened if Dean Rock missed?

First off you never played with a GPS and secondly you've never played in an All Ireland final.. So you havent lost 3 finals by a single point and looking very close to losing number 4, you've also never put in the commitment these lads have put in also... You have watched football and you have watched the Meath teams of the past that roughed up players in regular games? they didnt do it say hello they were laying down a marker, bullying their opposite number and thus gaining an advantage...

Spin it any way you want but thats breaking the rules and lowering the ethics of the sport

To answer your question had Rock missed it and the referee seen it or his linesmen, then I'm sure he'd have booked Keegan and moved the ball forward. Joe played the advantage rule on that I dont know and its pointless as the ball flew over the bar and Dublin won
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

"Sure we'd all do it!"
Give me a break.
It is 100% inexcusable.

It was more stupid than anything else, and I would hate if if one of my players did the same. The only thing it is likely to achieve is turning a difficult free into an easy free.
Rock didn't even notice it and just about got the ball to swing in enough to make it inside the far post. Imagine how Keegan would feel if Rock has just missed it and the ref moved the ball forward to an easy position! 

weareros

Quote from: Hound on September 22, 2017, 11:57:25 AMImagine how Keegan would feel if Rock has just missed it and the ref moved the ball forward to an easy position!

"Tony, we're going to need a bigger GPS!"

blast05

Poor aul John Small
His left jaw needing an ice bag despite it being the right side of his face that Donie Vaughans arm slid up against (after initially making contact with the top of his right arm).

At no stage during Smalls tackle on Boyle or during Vaughans tackle on Small was the left side of his face in contact with the opponent.
The disappointing thing with this image was that the "physio" (or whatever his role was) only applied the ice bag to the face when McQuillan came back on the scene after talking to his linesmen.