Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Sure could you not put it up on one screen?

thewobbler

Quote from: OgraAnDun on May 21, 2018, 10:20:44 PM
Brandband problems. We get about 16 meg, which means it collapses when there's more than half a dozen people online.

Advertise as showing GAA we have to be able to deliver on it. We can't. So we might as well attract a few people in who made up their minds weeks ago that they weren't going to the marshes, but haven't yet decided where they're going.

It's actually a simple enough choice.

As mentioned a few posts ago. More clubs will follow with the same this week. As long as youve barmen not going to the Marshes, it's much more sensible.

thewobbler

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 21, 2018, 10:20:32 PM
or maybe its a case of we don't have anybody on the Down panel and we feel we should have, so feck them. we wont have anything to do with them, wont even watch it and maybe we wont be overly disappointed if they lose. all adds to the ballyholland siege mentality, us against the rest.

No it doesn't. Wind your neck in.

I'm sorry to tell you friend, we've only got 400 odd members including juveniles, and there's going to be many, many, many more than 400 vacant places at Esler on Saturday evening. Barbecue weather could tip it under 5,000 people.

So stop bashing one club. It's childish.

——

The Ulster Council in their infinite wisdom have decided to put  a round 1 game between two  struggling counties in direct competition with the biggest sporting event in the world this weekend.

And then they want people to pay £30 for the privilege.

If anyone on this thread has a problem with how Gaelic Games are being promoted, start by knocking on that door.

Smurfy123

Well said wobbler. £24 into a first round game. Why wouldn't you go to the pub and watch it? That would get ya 12 bottles of coors in the Harps club. The pricing is far to much. 2 adults and 1 kid £55 before any food is bought
I'm estimating 7000

SHEEDY

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 21, 2018, 10:38:42 PM
Well said wobbler. £24 into a first round game. Why wouldn't you go to the pub and watch it? That would get ya 12 bottles of coors in the Harps club. The pricing is far to much. 2 adults and 1 kid £55 before any food is bought
I'm estimating 7000
there was 9000 in ballybofey and 8000 in enniskillen, i'd say crowd in newry won't be much above 5k.
nil satis nisi optimum

charlieTully

Quote from: thewobbler on May 21, 2018, 10:34:58 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on May 21, 2018, 10:20:32 PM
or maybe its a case of we don't have anybody on the Down panel and we feel we should have, so feck them. we wont have anything to do with them, wont even watch it and maybe we wont be overly disappointed if they lose. all adds to the ballyholland siege mentality, us against the rest.

No it doesn't. Wind your neck in.

I'm sorry to tell you friend, we've only got 400 odd members including juveniles, and there's going to be many, many, many more than 400 vacant places at Esler on Saturday evening. Barbecue weather could tip it under 5,000 people.

So stop bashing one club. It's childish.

——

The Ulster Council in their infinite wisdom have decided to put  a round 1 game between two  struggling counties in direct competition with the biggest sporting event in the world this weekend.

And then they want people to pay £30 for the privilege.

If anyone on this thread has a problem with how Gaelic Games are being promoted, start by knocking on that door.

Hang your f u c k ing head in shame man. Putting on that English tripe over your own county to make a few quid on the bar. Disgraceful.

Johnny McCumiskey

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 21, 2018, 10:49:37 PM
I'm estimating 7000
there was 9000 in ballybofey and 8000 in enniskillen, i'd say crowd in newry won't be much above 5k.
Quote from: SHEEDY on May 21, 2018, 10:49:37 PM
I'm estimating 7000

downjim

Bad PR that went wrong.

I will be watching the champions league and I've no doubt it will be shown in our club after the match but I would cringe to think we would advertise that on social media.

Any team news for Saturday btw?? O'Hanlon definitely out??

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on May 21, 2018, 10:28:04 PM
Brandband problems. We get about 16 meg, which means it collapses when there's more than half a dozen people online.

Advertise as showing GAA we have to be able to deliver on it. We can't. So we might as well attract a few people in who made up their minds weeks ago that they weren't going to the marshes, but haven't yet decided where they're going.

As mentioned a few posts ago. More clubs will follow with the same this week. As long as youve barmen not going to the Marshes, it's much more sensible.

16MB/s is more than ample for streaming iplayer, I do it on just over 3MB/s.
Put a temporary password on the Wifi for the evening to secure it.

At the same time the Ulster Council really are pricing the families out of these games, £30 at the gate is crazy money for an adult.

gaaman2016

16meg broadband is not an internet blackspot. I can run iplayer on 2 meg

johnnycool

Question;
ETS football squads. I see Down U15's are playing the Brian McLernon football tournament in Saval this Saturday against Donegal.

They've a panel of 40 plus youngsters, how do they ensure they all get relevant gametime?
What's the format?

thewobbler

Quote from: johnnycool on May 22, 2018, 11:31:25 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 21, 2018, 10:28:04 PM

16MB/s is more than ample for streaming iplayer, I do it on just over 3MB/s.
Put a temporary password on the Wifi for the evening to secure it.

At the same time the Ulster Council really are pricing the families out of these games, £30 at the gate is crazy money for an adult.

16MB does work sometimes.

But really honestly fella, I'm the one who has been called in on umpteen occasions the past year when our club's Smart TV isn't streaming. So with the greatest respect I'm a whole pile more qualified than you are to make a judgement call on whether this particular service is up to it.

Brick Tamlin

Would youse all for the love of jaysus leave the Ballyholland boys alone.

RadioGAAGAA

Any more word on the gigantic waste of time, energy and money the centre of excellence is shaping up to be?

Something more likely to get a player killed on the bad roads to/from Ballykinlar than improve the fortunes of Down football (and hurling/camogie, it'll do less than nothing for hurling/camogie).

The hard decision the county board is faced with is not to go ahead. Wait till a better site becomes available*. If that takes 20 years, it takes 20 years. Better that than throw good money away on a fools errand.

*IMO, if a single location is chosen, it has to lie along the main road from Aughlisnafin to Hilltown. Roughly the centre of county as far as the GAA goes and along a main road.
i usse an speelchekor

Lecale Gael

anyone know when the Down SFC/IFC/JFC championship draws are being made ?

asking for a friend :)

2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)