GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 24, 2022, 08:04:59 PM
The likes of Virgin should be doing a bit.  Premier Sports also.
The word is they haven't bid or won any rights at least according to Off the Ball.

It sounds like there maybe less games televised now but we'll know tomorrow I think the deal is announced then.

GAA Go would become expensive if it's the alternative on pay per match scenario.

full moon

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 24, 2022, 09:45:12 PM
They were always in it just for the money, but not enough buys to make it viable in the long term for 3 months of the year.
They wanted league games but GAA wouldn't agree to it supposedly, and more and better championship matches.

Interesting because there will be more games on next year with the group stages in championships?

delgany

Disappointing to see Sky Sports GAA coverage ending  better quality all round tbh. I ll be turning off the sports package at end of May !

Captain Scarlet

I'd say Virgin will step back in and TG4 get more.
Plus RTÉ would have more live league games.

RTÉ are far from flush and they will need to go big for the Women's World Cup in 2023 too.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

armaghniac

GaaGo should put on more highlights, magazine type content etc. It should also give a discount to GAA members.
You could also have integration so that Season ticket holders would get to see a free replay of the game later in the week.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Scarlet

Yup. I reckon they might try a streaming service themselves at some point soon.

I know many disagreed with the Sky deal but Christ their coverage blew RTÉ out of the water at times.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Taylor

While there was many complaints about Sky and it being in essence PPV as said above the quality was outstanding v RTE.

The worry now would be if GAAGO take over - you would easily spend significantly more than you would on Sky to watch games.

It will be interesting to see if those vocal about the Sky deal keep up the same vociferous attack on the GAA when the majority goes to GAAGO

RedHand88

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 24, 2022, 09:18:22 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 24, 2022, 08:10:26 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 24, 2022, 08:06:25 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 24, 2022, 07:41:12 PM
A lot of ejits celebrating on social media but all it means are less games available on tv and no competition so RTE can continue to offer their shite coverage. Nothing to celebrate here.

Someone will snap up the SKY planned coverage and probably with less money and the same pundits.

I wouldn't be so sure. Sky have to fill 6-8 channels with sport, 168 hours a week - and as someone above pointed out, GaA during the summer helps keep their Irish and ex Pat subscriptions attractive. Virgin can show re runs of baywatch instead.

Will that please 90 year old Mrs Johnstone?

It would please her husband.

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 25, 2022, 08:27:15 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 24, 2022, 09:18:22 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 24, 2022, 08:10:26 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 24, 2022, 08:06:25 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 24, 2022, 07:41:12 PM
A lot of ejits celebrating on social media but all it means are less games available on tv and no competition so RTE can continue to offer their shite coverage. Nothing to celebrate here.

Someone will snap up the SKY planned coverage and probably with less money and the same pundits.

I wouldn't be so sure. Sky have to fill 6-8 channels with sport, 168 hours a week - and as someone above pointed out, GaA during the summer helps keep their Irish and ex Pat subscriptions attractive. Virgin can show re runs of baywatch instead.

Will that please 90 year old Mrs Johnstone?

It would please her husband.
;D ;D

Maroon Manc

Skys viewing figures were desperate for another reason over here rather then the 'product' been an issue.

RedHand88

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 25, 2022, 09:57:51 AM
Skys viewing figures were desperate for another reason over here rather then the 'product' been an issue.

Anglophonia played a major part. How many times did you hear someone give off that a foreign company had rights to the "game of the gods"?

thewobbler

I think he was referring to DodgyBoxes rather than politics.

RedHand88

thewobbler

Something else to bear in mind.

If Sky's viewing figures were as poor as estimated, the naysayers really should stop revelling in their "victory" and try to evaluate the situation against their own needs.

- Sky has 700k subscribers on board in Ireland and likely another 150k in the six counties, and an healthy dose of diaspora subscribers in GB.

- Through their excellent Now TV service, anyone could avail of a day rate at any time to stream one off matches.

- They produced a genuinely top class GAA product.

If a service of that quality isn't supported by GAA people, then a subscription based national streaming service is doomed, while the viewing figures would suggest there just isn't the appetite/commercial viability for e.g. virgin to make one of their channels wall-to-wall GAA at weekends.

I honestly think that losing Sky is poor outcome for gaa folk.

RedHand88

Does anyone know what the figures for GAAgo are like?