GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: sam03/05 on October 24, 2022, 06:12:24 PM
Another product of not playing games in July August
There is no way GAA can compete with the soccer schedule in April May on sky

Can say what u want but with such a condensed season there is simply no way RTE will be able to show the amount of hurling and football games on offer
And come August there is nothing on tv to watch

There's lots of good club matches on tv and most of them don't result in four hammering like in Leinster and Munster football championships

thewobbler

I'm no fan of sky.

But those people who've spent the past 5 years complaining that 90 year old Mrs Johnstone can't view matches on Sky, also refuse to remember that before Sky, there was a world more of games that never made it onto tv, for anyone.

mrdeeds

My pet hate is the free to air like a TV licence doesn't exist.

square_ball

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 24, 2022, 07:43:25 PM
Joe Brolly will be happy anyway, even though with him it's all manufactured outrage

Joe soon changed his tune when Eir Sports offered him a job for the league.

RedHand88

Quote from: thewobbler on October 24, 2022, 07:55:48 PM
I'm no fan of sky.

But those people who've spent the past 5 years complaining that 90 year old Mrs Johnstone can't view matches on Sky, also refuse to remember that before Sky, there was a world more of games that never made it onto tv, for anyone.

Exactly. The Sky deal brought more games to TV. The vast majority of sky exclusives were qualifier games that RTE never showed anyway!

rodney trotter

The likes of Virgin should be doing a bit.  Premier Sports also.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Itchy on October 24, 2022, 07:41:12 PM
A lot of ejits celebrating on social media but all it means are less games available on tv and no competition so RTE can continue to offer their shite coverage. Nothing to celebrate here.

Someone will snap up the SKY planned coverage and probably with less money and the same pundits.

thewobbler

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 24, 2022, 08:06:25 PM
A lot of ejits celebrating on social media but all it means are less games available on tv and no competition so RTE can continue to offer their shite coverage. Nothing to celebrate here.

Someone will snap up the SKY planned coverage and probably with less money and the same pundits.

I wouldn't be so sure. Sky have to fill 6-8 channels with sport, 168 hours a week - and as someone above pointed out, GaA during the summer helps keep their Irish and ex Pat subscriptions attractive. Virgin can show re runs of baywatch instead.

Armagh18

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 24, 2022, 07:57:37 PM
My pet hate is the free to air like a TV licence doesn't exist.
Only if ye pay

thewobbler

Just thinking about this and the logical play for GAA is a premium streaming service.

Which means those who didn't have sky will have to pay for games, and those who did have sky will have to pay for games too.

A shitty form of equality if you ask me.

——

It was worth £40 a month for sky not to have to listen to Cantwell and Cavanagh. Two odious personalities fronting our sports.

SaffronSports

I'd say GAA Go will probably end up with a load of matches. Difficult to guess what they'd be charging though..

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thewobbler on October 24, 2022, 08:10:26 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. Sky have to fill 6-8 channels with sport, 168 hours a week - and as someone above pointed out, GaA during the summer helps keep their Irish and ex Pat subscriptions attractive. Virgin can show re runs of baywatch instead.

Will that please 90 year old Mrs Johnstone?

sam03/05

There was no club games on TV in the month of August

There's lots of good club matches on tv and most of them don't result in four hammering like in Leinster and Munster football championships
[/quote]

thewobbler

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 24, 2022, 09:18:22 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 24, 2022, 08:10:26 PM

Will that please 90 year old Mrs Johnstone?

Well it's like this. 15 years ago when she was light on her feet but never much went to games in person anyhow, she could have watched 3 episodes of Baywatch in a weekend. But she never got to see 3 live games in a weekend. So Baywatch probably is the better dish for her.

Wildweasel74

They were always in it just for the money, but not enough buys to make it viable in the long term for 3 months of the year.