Peter Robinson steps down as First Minister!

Started by under the bar, August 16, 2013, 11:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

LeoMc

Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2014, 11:40:08 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 19, 2014, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2014, 11:27:30 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2014, 09:05:06 AM
People are very quick to label people who question any situation regarding anyone foreign a racist these days...

I would however say these people know nothing about his points, where anyone is in any queue etc etc. Why have they got any moral high ground would be another question?

But what is it then when someone is victimised by a local mob specifically because they are not local or of the same race as the locals?

My point was that if he had been a Catholic of the same race or a Pole or Romanian he would have got the same reception. It is not specifically racism or sectarianism or Xenophobia. It is just plain intolerance of anyone who is not them.

His colour only meant he was identified quicker and he got a pre-warning rather than a brick through the window after he moved in.

foxcommander

Quote from: LeoMc on June 19, 2014, 01:53:29 PM
His colour only meant he was identified quicker and he got a pre-warning rather than a brick through the window after he moved in.

You mean he got the express intolerance package?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

THE MIGHTY QUINN

People are very quick to label people who question any situation regarding anyone foreign a racist these days...

I would however say these people know nothing about his points, where anyone is in any queue etc etc. Why have they got any moral high ground would be another question?

But what is it then when someone is victimised by a local mob specifically because they are not local or of the same race as the locals?

My point was that if he had been a Catholic of the same race or a Pole or Romanian he would have got the same reception. It is not specifically racism or sectarianism or Xenophobia. It is just plain intolerance of anyone who is not them.

That's the situation in a nutshell

muppet

This may not have been your intention but it reads as watering down the significance of the event because they are intolerant of anyone. I think the other politicians should be condemning this from the rooftops. The world knows of the conflict in the North at some level. But it doesn't know of the broad xenophobia,intolerance and racism inherent in some of the mobs embedded in one of the traditions.

We shouldn't be helping them by playing down the significance of this.
MWWSI 2017

haveaharp

Is it racism when you just hate everyone ? :o

muppet

Quote from: haveaharp on June 19, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

If you hate all Catholics, simply because they are Catholic, you are a sectarian bigot.

If you hate foreigners, purely because they are not from where you are from, you are a xenophobe.

If you hate a foreigner of a different race, you are a xenophobe and also a racist.

If you hate everyone different to yourself, you are all of the above. And probably more.
MWWSI 2017

haveaharp

Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2014, 07:00:07 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on June 19, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

If you hate all Catholics, simply because they are Catholic, you are a sectarian bigot.

Its more than that though, how many are actually bothered about their interpretation of scripture ?

AQMP

Robinson is a slimy get.  Putting a few thousand votes in front of any sense of moral right and wrong.  But then he's a politician.

foxcommander

Quote from: Muzz on June 19, 2014, 12:49:01 PM
I am not racist in anyway but I can see why people get frustrated.  Someone at 30 years of age living in their parents house will never get a social house, where as someone moved to the country with kids and wife will get house.

The fact that someone is easily identified as not being from the area makes it a bigger issue but the underlying sentiment is still the same. There is resentment of being passed over and something that you feel entitled to (rightly or wrongly) is given to another who hasn't paid their dues. If this guy has been in NI for 4 years and now gets a house (whatever level of funding is being given) without having to really work for it then isn't there something wrong with that?

As someone who has worked all their life and not been working the social security system I can't help but feel resentment for those who decide it's easier to leech off my hard earned wages to pay for their upkeep.

It's down to me to work harder, spend less time with my family, commute more, have less relaxation time and get paid less in the bargain. And this situation is only getting worse . How much more time and effort do i need to spend in order to furnish other peoples lifestyles. I'm not saying the protesters have all these concerns (drinking cans of special brew during the day has never been an option for me) but there has to be some sort of fair play along the way.

I wish I had done nothing with my life and got it all handed to me instead. working is for suckers.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Jeepers Creepers

If you have a problem with housing executive then picket the housing executive. Blatant rascism, don't accept this for anything else.

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on June 19, 2014, 10:02:13 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on June 19, 2014, 09:59:21 PM
If you have a problem with housing executive then picket the housing executive. Blatant rascism, don't accept this for anything else.
+1
+1
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

Can SF/SDLP use the "Petition of.." mechanism to stop the McCausland bigot from re introducing the  Houses for Prods only system that led to the very first civil rights march?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM