Peter Robinson steps down as First Minister!

Started by under the bar, August 16, 2013, 11:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

I think it is a sort of odd situation (or perhaps this might be the norm these days) where one side completely exaggerates the "islamisation of UK/europe/insert country" and the other seems willingly naive of the trouble or potential trouble we have brought on our selves.

Islam makes just about every other headline in UK papers these days. Not a day will pass where it's not in the news and yet they make up less than 5% of the UK population. And in doing so makes the situation worse as muslims feel they are being constantly attacked by the state and media while the native english feel they too are being attacked.

On the other hand to accept "diversity" and "multiculturalism" as unquestionably good things for your country and your people is also a grave mistake. There are benefits of diversity and there are downsides as well. You have to weigh these together. You also have to remember that it is not even necessary.

There are plenty of bigots within the islamic world just like the Ulster Unionists and they don't live far away in the middle east. They are in our countries now. And we ought to know what happens when bigots are able to get their hands on power.

I honestly think we are far too uncritical of the current liberal zeitgeist, because tearing into conservatism or pillars of society is easy, its a easily definable target, it may feel progressive as this gets results quickly and there is an assumption that it leads us all to a better place. But the word progress, you must remember, only means movement towards something and not necessarily for the better.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thejuice on May 31, 2014, 11:35:31 PM
I think it is a sort of odd situation (or perhaps this might be the norm these days) where one side completely exaggerates the "islamisation of UK/europe/insert country" and the other seems willingly naive of the trouble or potential trouble we have brought on our selves.

Islam makes just about every other headline in UK papers these days. Not a day will pass where it's not in the news and yet they make up less than 5% of the UK population. And in doing so makes the situation worse as muslims feel they are being constantly attacked by the state and media while the native english feel they too are being attacked.

On the other hand to accept "diversity" and "multiculturalism" as unquestionably good things for your country and your people is also a grave mistake. There are benefits of diversity and there are downsides as well. You have to weigh these together. You also have to remember that it is not even necessary.

There are plenty of bigots within the islamic world just like the Ulster Unionists and they don't live far away in the middle east. They are in our countries now. And we ought to know what happens when bigots are able to get their hands on power.

I honestly think we are far too uncritical of the current liberal zeitgeist, because tearing into conservatism or pillars of society is easy, its a easily definable target, it may feel progressive as this gets results quickly and there is an assumption that it leads us all to a better place. But the word progress, you must remember, only means movement towards something and not necessarily for the better.
Aye but it gives us the opportunity to stick the boot into Robbo.

imtommygunn

Basically he's top dog making sweeping generalisations about a culture. That reflects very badly on ni and things like investment opportunities etc could be compromised.

There are aspects of muslim faith that people may be uncomfortable with, as per any faith i guess, but you don't broadbrush everyone of that faith on the back of it. Especially when you're in charge and your opinion reflects badly on everyone.

I still await what cameron says with interest. Don't think this is over yet.

give her dixie

It was amazing to see so many people turn up today in support of Anna Lo, and against racism. A very loud message was delivered that we can't tolerate racism in any form. Neither should we tolerate sectarianism, hate speech, or bigots in any form.

However, as we all know, thats not how things are in reality. As the rally ended today, the "Fleggers" moved in. A bunch of corner boys, bully boys, old and young women draped in red white and blue. They flexed their muscle in every way they could, and they pushed on through what was left of the crowd, looking to stir up some shit. I had a few choice words for Willy Frazier........

This was them singing the Billy Boys, with a special emphasis on "up to our necks in Fenian blood"

I hope this link works:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152493875044314&set=vb.541019313&type=2&theater&notif_t=like

I have been thinking a lot today since I came home from the rally, and with what is going on and has been going on, and I have come
to the conclusion that we are fecked and caught up in a sectarian head count that has been festering and getting worse for a few years now.

I'm 44, born a month before "the troubles" began, and right now, I am witnessing raw naked sectarian hatred that wasn't as evident during the height of the troubles.

No amount of money or PR events like the G8, the city of culture, or the Giro can cure this illness.

It is very very depressing right now.

As critical as I am of Sinn Fein, the DUP are the single greatest stumbling block to progress right now.

They are directly responsible for the state we are currently in, and I can't see anything from them that gives me any hope.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

imtommygunn

There is no hope with them whatsoever. No accountability for anything, no progressiveness, nothing.

Any progress in this place is in spite of them and not because of them.

The flag debacle and their shafting of alliance then subsequent silence was an absolute disgrace. Yet no one pulls them on it.

They are, and this illustrates it again, untouchable.

Then people vote them in.

Depressing.

Pangurban

Failure to permit proper,rational,reasoned debate on any subject, inevitably leads to the rise of extreme right parties as we are witnessing all over Europe. The so called Liberals[though they are nothing of the sort] have attempted to discourage debate on issues such as Immigration, Homosexuality, Islamization, Europe and many other topics. The uniform stance of all the various media, controlled by large corporations, not only deny free expression, but combine and hasten to demonise and ridicule any group or individual expressing views at variance with their world view.Instead off encouraging debate and participation, the mainstream parties and press throughout Europe and the U.S.A seek to enforce a rigid orthodoxy to their illiberal creed. No view which has received their impra-mater will be tolerated. They call it political correctness, when its real name is censorship.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: give her dixie on May 31, 2014, 11:52:27 PM
I'm 44, born a month before "the troubles" began, and right now, I am witnessing raw naked sectarian hatred that wasn't as evident during the height of the troubles.

GHD aren't you from Dungannon? Are you telling me you have never been in Milltown? As raw and sectarian as you'll get anywhere in the north.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

armaghniac

Quote from: Pangurban on June 01, 2014, 12:06:24 AM
Failure to permit proper,rational,reasoned debate on any subject, inevitably leads to the rise of extreme right parties as we are witnessing all over Europe. The so called Liberals[though they are nothing of the sort] have attempted to discourage debate on issues such as Immigration, Homosexuality, Islamization, Europe and many other topics. The uniform stance of all the various media, controlled by large corporations, not only deny free expression, but combine and hasten to demonise and ridicule any group or individual expressing views at variance with their world view.Instead off encouraging debate and participation, the mainstream parties and press throughout Europe and the U.S.A seek to enforce a rigid orthodoxy to their illiberal creed. No view which has received their impra-mater will be tolerated. They call it political correctness, when its real name is censorship.

Pangurban, there is some truth in what you say. But this agenda is given credence by the likes of McConnell or Robinson who are not measured in their comments. The truth is nuanced and both extremes are dangerous.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

give her dixie

Quote from: All of a Sludden on June 01, 2014, 12:10:19 AM

GHD aren't you from Dungannon? Are you telling me you have never been in Milltown? As raw and sectarian as you'll get anywhere in the north.

I live a stone throw from it. A couple of weeks ago as people in our area had to go vote in Moygashel they were greeted by a group of Fleggers. They were never as visible or a vocal before.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: give her dixie on June 01, 2014, 12:16:05 AM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on June 01, 2014, 12:10:19 AM

I live a stone throw from it. A couple of weeks ago as people in our area had to go vote in Moygashel they were greeted by a group of Fleggers. They were never as visible or a vocal before.

Ah Moygashel, a lovely place. How are the Kirks, Stuart still at the boxing?  ;)
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Pangurban

I fully agree with your comment Armaghniac, but that should not preclude reasoned,dispassionate debate. We may condemn the type of language used by Mc Connell and Robinson but we should not rush to convict them of bigotry, that is the liberals tactic.

give her dixie

Half tweleve on a Saturday night, and sure lets have a laugh........

"I Wouldn't Trust A Brackaville Man To Go To The Shop For Me" Says Coalisland Lady

Brackaville Man Doing Shopping For A Newmills Woman

Recent comments by First Minister Peter Robinson have opened a can of worms in the county as pubs, clubs and homes debate who they'd trust to go to the shops for them. Early figures show an extremely low percentage of trustworthiness within the county with no one in Coalisland prepared to admit they'd allow a Brackaville man or woman to go to the shops for them.

Regular mass-goer, and founder of the Christian Ethos In Coalisland group, Maire Lyons was crystal clear with her take on the issue of trust:

"As long as there's breath in my body, I'd never allow a Brackavillonian to go to the shops for me. Put it like this, if you gave one of them money and a shopping bag and told them to get bread, milk and the papers for you, you'd never see that bag again. Or maybe you would but they'd be wearing it. Themuns are a shower of heathens up there. They'd take the eye out of your head if you stood still long enough. The bible says we're all God's children but they must be a different species completely."

Such views were replicated throughout the county with only 3% of Urney folk trusting Clady locals to do the shopping for them. At the other end of the scale there appeared to be evidence of a love-in between Galbally and Donaghmore with 88% of Galballians trusting their neighbours to go to the Spar for them. Pat McGinn explained:

"Ah I love it when I ask someone from up the road to go to the shop for me for a pound of mince or a packet of sausage rolls. Them Donaghmore ones are wild generous and sometimes you'd look into the bag and they've thrown in about £300 worth of food and jewels and stuff. People say Donaghmore is the Kengsinton of Tyrone but I'd not have a bad word said about them. They even throw coppers at us in the pub. Wild kind."

Meanwhile, an unexpected figure of 76% trustworthiness between Ardboe and Moortown residents was exposed as a fraud after it was revealed both areas have applied for a £30'000 grant to build a 'Friendship Wall' between them. Rumours suggest the money will be drank.

armaghniac

Quote from: Pangurban on June 01, 2014, 12:26:55 AM
I fully agree with your comment Armaghniac, but that should not preclude reasoned,dispassionate debate. We may condemn the type of language used by Mc Connell and Robinson but we should not rush to convict them of bigotry, that is the liberals tactic.

At the very least Mc Connell is not quite preaching Love thy Neighbour and Robinson is not acting as a statesman, whether their motives are bigotry, ignorance or seeking political advantage their conduct is not satisfactory and Northern Ireland is not a place where people are typically ignorant of the possible effects of what they say. Frankly, I'm disappointed in Robinson who has shown some ability to lead from time to time.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lecale2

Quote from: whitey on May 31, 2014, 10:49:37 PM
You all seem to have conveniently ignored my inclusion of the word EXTREME. (Think 7/7 bombers, Boston Bombers, or those horrible preachers they have in parts of the UK)

I myself an am immigrant, but I pay my taxes, obey the law and am assimilated into the culture of the country I live in.

Diversity is a positive thing, but when you allow people in who then seek to do you harm or who are all of sudden "offended" by the culture of their host nation, then I say don't let the door hit you on the way out

The results of the Euro elections last week prove I am not alone in these views

"whitey"  ;)

give her dixie

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 01, 2014, 07:22:22 AM
Quote from: whitey on May 31, 2014, 10:49:37 PM
You all seem to have conveniently ignored my inclusion of the word EXTREME. (Think 7/7 bombers, Boston Bombers, or those horrible preachers they have in parts of the UK)

I myself an am immigrant, but I pay my taxes, obey the law and am assimilated into the culture of the country I live in.

Diversity is a positive thing, but when you allow people in who then seek to do you harm or who are all of sudden "offended" by the culture of their host nation, then I say don't let the door hit you on the way out

The results of the Euro elections last week prove I am not alone in these views

"whitey"  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY&feature=kp