Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: Spike on October 21, 2018, 08:14:00 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 21, 2018, 08:00:04 PM
Another senuor title for Cargin and Damien Cassidy. Went exactly as I expected...not much at all between two evenly matched teams. Creggan had 13 sides versus Cargins 5, so that's not a good stat from Creggans point of view.

Reinforces my view that Antrim football is wide open between four or five clubs....as I said at the start of the year! Nothing has changed in that regard.

Well done Cargin. Some great players todsy. Mick the best player on the pitch, Justy solid, Jamie Gribben well done, Marty Kane made a noticeable difference, and Ciaran Bradley superb throughout. The cups in Toome, enjoy, but if you're going yo have any kind of crack at Ulster you'll need to be better than today.

Poor shot selection contributes to that stat -.in a swirling wind it was hail mary stuff. Thought Creggan set up not to lose - they had 14 men in their half for long periods of the game. Replica of the 5-3 game a few years ago. Cargin ran into a wall at half way li e and the game continued in that vein.  A more remarkable stat was that Cargin scores were all from play. In last ten minutes Creggan still refused to change their system even though they were a point down. Either a lack of courage or can only play one way. Dreadful. Cargin wont win ulster playing like that but hard to tell when dealing with a system such as that. Creggan have personnel to play another way but not sure whether they dont fully trust their defence to do their jobs hence why they rigidly employ the system they do.   That match killed any neutrals watching antrim championship football for a few years.

Ps well.done to ahoghill - superbly run day.

Dunno why Creggan did not have confidence in their defense...Cargin only managed to win a single free inside their half for the entire 60+ minutes, never mind in close proximity to their posts.
Superb defending or what...... ;) 8)

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Hectic on October 21, 2018, 09:52:00 PM
Quote from: farset on October 21, 2018, 09:08:39 PM
RE: League positions

If two teams are on equal points, it goes to head to heads.
If three teams are on equal points, head to heads go out the window and it comes down to points difference.

Same figuring out for next weekend in Div 2.

League Regulations here: https://antrim.gaa.ie/assets/documents/2018-All-County-League-Regulations.pdf
Point 3.07

Where there is a need to differentiate between teams on equal
points, the following criteria shall be used:

a. Where teams finish with equal points the outcome of the
meetings between the teams shall be the deciding
factor, except for in a one round league where the
deciding factors will be from b to d below .
b. The highest scoring difference. That is points scored minus
points conceded in the games played between the
teams
c. The highest score for'.
d. Play off

Where more than 2 teams are on equal points the issue will be
decided as per b above

Hectic

Good work.

I think if GNM win as I suspect they will then they will be on the same points as the winners of St Brides and Randalstown. League winner will then depend on who comes through that tie. Randalstown and GNM win both promoted with Randalstown league winners. St Bridgids and GNM both win then both promoted with GNM league winners by my reckoning. GNM losing and Aldergrove winning with a winner in the other game, or indeed a draw in other game, a step too far for my brain this early.

And Glenravel Div 3 winners at that rate. Well done to them on a successful season.

belfastsaff

Another senior title for Cargin and Damien Cassidy. Went exactly as I expected...not much at all between two evenly matched teams. Creggan had 13 wides versus Cargins 5, so that's not a good stat from Creggans point of view.

Reinforces my view that Antrim football is wide open between four or five clubs....as I said at the start of the year! Nothing has changed in that regard.

Well done Cargin. Some great players today. Mick the best player on the pitch, Justy solid, Jamie Gribben well done, Marty Kane made a noticeable difference, Ciaran Bradley superb and the TS express keeps rolling on. The Mc Namee cup is in Toome, enjoy, we will be there to support you against Gweedore, but if you're going to have any kind of crack at Ulster you'll need to be better than today.

Bannside I have to correct your stat Kickams hit 12 wides to Cargins 7 - a lot of wides down to poor shot selection and not judging the conditions, Creggan played with fear of losing and cargin were very happy just to keep ball. Creggan are a good footballing team with pace in abundance -  with a big pitch like ahoghills I felt they could have opened cargin up, very naïve but I have no doubt about it therday will come - I would also expect KM to be at the helm next year again.  As you can tell I am very disappointed by kickams performance think there is a lot more football in them.

Any updates on the manager merry-go-round?

Kickham csc

Quote from: belfastsaff on October 22, 2018, 08:25:14 AM
Another senior title for Cargin and Damien Cassidy. Went exactly as I expected...not much at all between two evenly matched teams. Creggan had 13 wides versus Cargins 5, so that's not a good stat from Creggans point of view.

Well done Cargin. Some great players today. Mick the best player on the pitch, Justy solid, Jamie Gribben well done, Marty Kane made a noticeable difference, Ciaran Bradley superb and the TS express keeps rolling on. The Mc Namee cup is in Toome, enjoy, we will be there to support you against Gweedore, but if you're going to have any kind of crack at Ulster you'll need to be better than today.

Bannside I have to correct your stat Kickams hit 12 wides to Cargins 7 - a lot of wides down to poor shot selection and not judging the conditions, Creggan played with fear of losing and cargin were very happy just to keep ball. Creggan are a good footballing team with pace in abundance -  with a big pitch like ahoghills I felt they could have opened cargin up, very naïve but I have no doubt about it therday will come - I would also expect KM to be at the helm next year again.  As you can tell I am very disappointed by kickams performance think there is a lot more football in them.

First things first, congrats to CB, I think, while a close game, Cargin deserved to win it. The Creggan lads are disappointed. Think there was a combination of factors that hurt the performance, most notably was Cargin. They did a great job disrupting Creggans running game with a great defensive performance. Think at the end of the day, Creggan were missing an old head up front (Mark Dougan's Absence in terms of free taking and winning frees was a big loss). Very young team, 4 of the forwards were U20, and should learn from this experience)

Well done Cargin and enjoy the well earned celebrations

belfastsaff

Quote from: Kickham csc on October 22, 2018, 08:40:56 AM

First things first, congrats to CB, I think, while a close game, Cargin deserved to win it. The Creggan lads are disappointed. Think there was a combination of factors that hurt the performance, most notably was Cargin. They did a great job disrupting Creggans running game with a great defensive performance. Think at the end of the day, Creggan were missing an old head up front (Mark Dougan's Absence in terms of free taking and winning frees was a big loss). Very young team, 4 of the forwards were U20, and should learn from this experience)

Why did Dougan not play a part he seemed to be going well in the warm up?

Kickham csc

Quote from: belfastsaff on October 22, 2018, 08:47:24 AM

Why did Dougan not play a part he seemed to be going well in the warm up?

He damaged his hamstring about 3-4 weeks ago, (no sure how bad, but was considered a high risk of it going again) still, I would have put him on for the last 5-10 mins just to have an experienced voice on the pitch)

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 21, 2018, 07:12:03 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 21, 2018, 05:28:06 PM
Really good to see our minors win today. Game was far easier than I could of ever hoped for.  St Galls just didn't use the wind at all in the second half.

But it's a second title in 3 years for this group and a county Hurling final next week as well.

The senior game I left at half time. What a big pile of cow dung that was to watch.
Congratulations to Dunloy on this achievement -  a proper GAA club with great facilities, great coaches and great players - the winning combination!

It was def a good feeling seeing them lifting the title again. We waited over 30 years to win it last time so to not have to wait so long again was good to see.

I think it's of no coincidence that since the development committees have been set up for all 3 codes within the club and the academy being completed that we have seen the underage success we have enjoyed. The minor winning team from 2016 were the first group to get in there at underage level and the rest have followed behind them.

Of course a 'building' doesnt Make any success but along with good coaches and organisation and time out into it you see the rewards from it.

This weekend they are in the county Hurling final against lgiel. It would be wonderful to complete the minor double again.
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

Fair play Kickham..

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

Congratulations to Cargin on their win. Possibly the worst Antrim Senior Football final I was ever at but a win is a win and at the end of the day Cargin will not care how they got it and they went home with the trophy.

Really glad the minor game was on beforehand to see football the way it should be played by a fantastic Dunloy minor team. The score line flattered st galls the gap between the 2 was a lot more that the 9 point margin at the end

Christmas Lights

How will Cargin fair in Ulster. Thats the real question here. 

Spike

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 22, 2018, 11:29:24 AM
How will Cargin fair in Ulster. Thats the real question here.

Hard to tell based on yesterdays match.  If they are as ponderous going forward then they will not fare well.  If they attack at speed and with combinations like they did against st galls (and in glimpses in yesterdays match), then they have every chance. 

I'd expect a bruising encounter, Gweedore are a physical outfit and wont be  standing back. 

Possibly not one for the neutral again unless Cargin get their noses in front. 

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 22, 2018, 09:00:46 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 21, 2018, 07:12:03 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 21, 2018, 05:28:06 PM
Really good to see our minors win today. Game was far easier than I could of ever hoped for.  St Galls just didn't use the wind at all in the second half.

But it's a second title in 3 years for this group and a county Hurling final next week as well.

The senior game I left at half time. What a big pile of cow dung that was to watch.
Congratulations to Dunloy on this achievement -  a proper GAA club with great facilities, great coaches and great players - the winning combination!

It was def a good feeling seeing them lifting the title again. We waited over 30 years to win it last time so to not have to wait so long again was good to see.

I think it's of no coincidence that since the development committees have been set up for all 3 codes within the club and the academy being completed that we have seen the underage success we have enjoyed. The minor winning team from 2016 were the first group to get in there at underage level and the rest have followed behind them.

Of course a 'building' doesnt Make any success but along with good coaches and organisation and time out into it you see the rewards from it.

This weekend they are in the county Hurling final against lgiel. It would be wonderful to complete the minor double again.
I think I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway - do Dunloy pay outside coaches?

Na Glinntí Glasa

The only ones paid in our club is a strength and conditioning coach in a gym etc. No one that manages any team in any code gets paid in our club.
hurl like f**k boi!

Dunsilly King

I think the question he asked was there any coached paid. And there have been, don't want to mention the peoples names as I don't think its fair as its common practise now days