AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

May as well get her started.........

rrhf

Cork V Kildare would be a great chance for Kildare to avenge the theft of Tompkins and Fahy.  I think whoever comes from the far side of the draw will win Sam to be honest. 

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ross4life

IMO Kildare/Down will be given the same type of chance as Cork 09,07 & Mayo 04, 06 to beat kerry i think you have to go back to 2002 since a "underdog" won the final (Armagh beating Kerry)

Cork won't be feared but i expect a big performance from them in the Final & the recent final defeats should have them more focused than ever to bring home sam for the 1st time since 1990
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: ross4life on August 23, 2010, 04:48:43 PM
IMO Kildare/Down will be given the same type of chance as Cork 09,07 & Mayo 04, 06 to beat kerry i think you have to go back to 2002 since a "underdog" won the final (Armagh beating Kerry)

Cork were clear favourites last year. Pretty sure Kerry were favourites over Tyrone in both '08 and '05. Presumably Armagh were favourites in '03 as well.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 23, 2010, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 23, 2010, 04:48:43 PM

Cork were clear favourites last year. Pretty sure Kerry were favourites over Tyrone in both '08 and '05. Presumably Armagh were favourites in '03 as well.

how could cork be clear favorites last year after the hammering Kerry gave to Dublin & Kerry v Tyrone games were even odds from what i remember & if not you could hardly class either of them as underdogs?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Donnellys Hollow

Cork were clear favourites last year - about the 4/6, 8/13 mark IIRC. Think the handicap was Cork (-2) because I had a decent wedge on Kerry +2.

The market dictates the price and most books would have had significant antepost liabilities on Cork at a bigger price than they would have had on Kerry.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

well i expect much longer odds on Down/Kildare this time round

isourboydownyet

the way i see it is if down beat kildare which they have a very good chance of doing so i dont think they could beat cork whereas if kildare win i think they will beat cork.does that make sence?
i think kildare are more geared to defend against corks style of play,kildare would look how dublin defended perfectly for 60 mins before they retreated to deep in there own defence and when they did foul it was in a scoring area as opposed to fouling further out the field and kildare would have learnt alot from dublins mistakes.

yellowcard

I fancy the winner to come from this weeks semi-final. I think Kildare will be that team but the closer it gets to this game the less convinced I am becoming of their mental strength to close out the deal much in the same way that Dublin and Mayo have failed to get over the line in recent years.

I'm amazed that the bookies have Cork priced at 2/5 favouites for Sam, whoever wins on Sunday will have a serious chance due the expectancy on Corks shoulders to win the title.

Orangemac

I also think the winners of this weekends game will beat Cork. I would have more faith in Kildare beating Cork than Down, but Down would still have a great chance.

Saw odds last week of Kildare/Kilkenny double of 6/1.

Reasons for this.

1) Dublin pushed Cork to the pin of their collar. Kildare/Down are better set up than Dublin and with better players 1-15 and on the bench.

2) Unless someone wins by 10 points or more this weekend the winners will go in as underdogs which is always worth something.

Incidentally apart from 2003 obviously,every Ulster team has been underdogs for a final and apart from Tyrone in 1995 all have won.

3) Cork are not playing as well as last year. I really expected with Kerry gone they would have really came out and put on a display v Dublin. They do not seem to handle the pressure well and the pressure will definitely be on to win the final.

There was no forward bar Kerrigan ( and O'Neill when he came on)demanding the ball. There seemed to be a few hiding as there was in last years final. Cork have a lot of good forwards but no marquee player who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Orangemac on August 23, 2010, 10:34:57 PM
I also think the winners of this weekends game will beat Cork. I would have more faith in Kildare beating Cork than Down, but Down would still have a great chance.

Saw odds last week of Kildare/Kilkenny double of 6/1.

Reasons for this.

1) Dublin pushed Cork to the pin of their collar. Kildare/Down are better set up than Dublin and with better players 1-15 and on the bench.

2) Unless someone wins by 10 points or more this weekend the winners will go in as underdogs which is always worth something.

Incidentally apart from 2003 obviously,every Ulster team has been underdogs for a final and apart from Tyrone in 1995 all have won.

3) Cork are not playing as well as last year. I really expected with Kerry gone they would have really came out and put on a display v Dublin. They do not seem to handle the pressure well and the pressure will definitely be on to win the final.

There was no forward bar Kerrigan ( and O'Neill when he came on)demanding the ball. There seemed to be a few hiding as there was in last years final. Cork have a lot of good forwards but no marquee player who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

I'd be of  similar opinion, although by no means writing off Cork. I think Kildare will be this year's champions, but having said that if Down make it the final, they have never lost....

Either way, its great to have this level of unpredictability not really seen since the pre-qualifier days...
Hasta la victoria siempre

robbiegael

Cork have some of the best players in Ireland but they play as individuals and not as a team. If Micky Harte was in charge of Cork they would be unbeatable.

Cork manager Conor Counihan is the weak-link in my opinion.

Kerry Mike

If Cork can't win the All Ireland this year they never will add to their miserable haul of only 6 All Ireland titles. Pressure is on the fecking langers big time.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

red hander

Pressure definitely on Cork to deliver ... but I have sneaking feeling for Kildare also