Recommended ground-covering plants?

Started by under the bar, August 11, 2010, 11:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

I have a steep bank at the side of the house that's a nightmare to cut so have killed the grass off and want to plant some fast-growing ground covering shrubs/plants.  Can anyone recommend some?

Lady GAA GAA

new heights for the gaaboard

poster of the year nomination for you sir

Hereiam

Chick weed is the boyo that u need. The ole hoor will grow anywhere  ;)

fearsiuil

Cotoneaster horizontalis
Hedrea helix 'Hibernica' (ivy)
Eunonymus fortunei 'Emerald 'n' Gold' (gold coloured leaves)
Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety' (green coloured leaves)

All of these are easy to grow plants that would be far from standout plant slections but on the other hand are easily available and cheap.
For a few bob extra a more visually pleasing result could be achieved by being more creative and mixing plant varieties, leaf textures and colour, differing heights etc. Plant selection is dependant on soil type, site orientation, micro climate and drainage.
G'luk

muppet

Quote from: under the bar on August 11, 2010, 11:17:33 PM
I have a steep bank at the side of the house that's a nightmare to cut so have killed the grass off and want to plant some fast-growing ground covering shrubs/plants.  Can anyone recommend some?

Anglo Hibernia Bancus blackus hole - Fastest growing steep bank known to mankind
MWWSI 2017

Cannonball

Fearsiuil, you're spot on, Cotoneaster is the only job for this.  My Dad sold plants for forty years and this has always been a brilliant solution for the steep bank dilemma.  I had the same problem when I bought my house and it was the first thing I thought of.  Clearing and preparing the bank was an almighty pain, but the results are worth it.  Whatever you do UTB don't fall into the trap of covering it with plastic and then stone or bark.  You only have to drive round a bit and see the results. It might look good for about ten minutes but after a while, with the rain and gravity, it looks awful.
Do you believe in God?......I don't understand the question.