Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

Anyone on here do much cycling? Was thinking on investing in a road bike to cycle the roads and possibly joining a club. What sort of a budget would you give yourself for buying a bike for a beginner? What other sort of gear would you need? Is it easy enough to come by a decent second hand bike. Been told I need a 56cm frame and that is very important.

pintsofguinness

I cycle at least 7-8 mile a day (to work and back). It's great!
The only gear I have is a lock, a good raincoat, clips for the bottom of my trousers/jeans and a pump! and an MP3 Player - that's all you need.

I know someone that got a really decent second hand bike recently but I'd say it's hit and miss.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

el_cuervo_fc

You could get a decent bicycle for around £250-£300.  Me and a few of my mates bought racers last year.  They were good enough quality.  It was a good way of getting fit and shedding a few pounds.  We done a cycle to Cork from Armagh in 3 days for Marie Curie.  It was a good oul experience. 

You could maybe see if the shop with throw you in a free helmet or something.  I would definitely suggest investing a good thick padded set of cycling shorts.   ;)

delboy

I would get in touch with a cycling club first im pretty sure some of the members will have decent second hands bikes that they are willing to sell for probably a fraction of a price they paid for them as some guys are constantly upgrading (usually the unmarried living at home types). Better that than trying to buy one yourself which could turn out to be a parcel of dung.

A Quinn Martin Production

In my experience (50-60 miles per week) essential gear is:  A helmet, a high visibility jacket, lights for your bike and if you mean to cycle regularly a decent pair of proper cycling shorts (padded of course!!).  I use a back light even on those rare days when the sun is out.  Most motorists in Ireland have feck all respect for cyclists so make sure you're visible.  You will get to experience how poor our roads are. 

However on the positive side I love cycling and it's good exercise.  As other posters have said try to pick up a good second hand road bike (£250 - £400)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

RMDrive

If you're in the south, check if the Bikes for Work scheme is in your company. Tax free bikes.

thebigfella

TBH as el_cuervo stated, you can pick up a good road bike new for around 300 quid (unlike mountain bikes where you are looking around a grand for something decent or 2/3 if you take it a bit more serious).
Personally I would try not to spend any more than that, as you'll easily add another 200-300 on gear. Try 2nd hand too but make sure it was well looked after, you could pick up something that could end up needing a good service and replacing parts on a higher end model with like for like will cost.
Also the cycle to work scheme is available in the UK too.

pintsofguinness

Ffs lads I don't think he's trying to be the next Lance Armstrong. 

£200-300 quid on gear bigfella? Are you mad in the head!

AbbeySider

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 18, 2010, 10:28:39 PM
I cycle at least 7-8 mile a day (to work and back). It's great!
The only gear I have is a lock, a good raincoat, clips for the bottom of my trousers/jeans and a pump! and an MP3 Player - that's all you need.

I know someone that got a really decent second hand bike recently but I'd say it's hit and miss.

Do you not sweat your ass off and skink for the day?
Id love to cycle to work but the idea of not being able to shower at work put me off.

In my last company we had a shower in our building which was handy for those who cycled in to work.  :(

thebigfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2010, 03:31:53 PM

Well average, shoes 40-50 quid, helmet 30-40 quid (I wouldn't skimp here, just because I like one that fits right), couple of jerseys 40 quid, lights, shorts, wet gear, cycle computer, water bottle and holder, lubricants, tools, pump, gloves etc.......... It all amounts up

I'd say my commuting gear alone cost me well over 300 quid (its standard to pay between 30-50 for a pair of winter gloves) and if you look at most people who signed up to the cycle to work schemes, most of their gear is of a similar standard.

pintsofguinness

He only needs that stuff if he's planning on doing about 30 mile at a time. 

Btw, my gloves were about 3 quid in Tesco.

thebigfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2010, 03:54:52 PM
He only needs that stuff if he's planning on doing about 30 mile at a time. 

Btw, my gloves were about 3 quid in Tesco.

Planning to join a cycling club, so I reckon he'll be doing a few miles. He can hardly go out in jeans. That was 30-50 euros, trust me I been through quite a few cycle shops in dublin.

If the Tesco gloves do you, thats fine but the facts are if you go out and buy even the basics it will amount up.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: thebigfella on February 19, 2010, 03:52:06 PM

Well average, shoes 40-50 quid, helmet 30-40 quid (I wouldn't skimp here, just because I like one that fits right), couple of jerseys 40 quid, lights, shorts, wet gear, cycle computer, water bottle and holder, lubricants, tools, pump, gloves etc.......... It all amounts up

I'd say my commuting gear alone cost me well over 300 quid (its standard to pay between 30-50 for a pair of winter gloves) and if you look at most people who signed up to the cycle to work schemes, most of their gear is of a similar standard.

I agree bigfella on the need for a good helmet.  I paid £40 for mine...you need something that's comfortable and gives you protection should you go arse over tit.  I think my winter gloves were £15.99 and they're not bad.  I picked up a lot of gear as I went along asked people for it for birthdays and from Santa etc.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

The Hammer

Cycling hasn't done steven o'neill any harm... As said above don't spend a fortune incase you then just give it up !! I did that.. I thot I'd love the cycling, but after a while a grew board !! Off road running/fell running I think it is known as.. Its a good ol buzz. May even compete at it soon

thebigfella

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on February 19, 2010, 04:09:16 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on February 19, 2010, 03:52:06 PM

I agree bigfella on the need for a good helmet.  I paid £40 for mine...you need something that's comfortable and gives you protection should you go arse over tit. I think my winter gloves were £15.99 and they're not bad.  I picked up a lot of gear as I went along asked people for it for birthday's and from Santa etc.

Yeah I bought mine in Dublin, probably 25 quid online but teh cycle to work scheme has inflated a few things here  :-\