Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Who cares, only person I ever put on ignore in the nearly 20 years I've been posting on gaaboard.com

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 09, 2020, 03:13:59 PM
I wonder where Syferus is these days?
Well where ever he is, I'd say the form isn't great with him today!  Mind you, I could be in the same boat myself next Monday!! 

Rossfan

Driving us all mad on stolensheep.
Told us last week that putting up flags was a breach of Covid restrictions ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on November 09, 2020, 03:55:15 PM
Driving us all mad on stolensheep.
Told us last week that putting up flags was a breach of Covid restrictions ::)

He was a gas fella that came out with some awful nonsense. I'll always remember his post on Boards.ie saying that Roscommon a division 4 team at the time had a stronger panel than the one that won 4 Connacht titles in a row from 1977 to 1980.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dubhaltach

A few points on yesterday's game-

For once, our game management was actually good. The game was effectively won mid way through the second half and we never looked like conceding a goal from then on. We kept possession, played it backwards when needed and took the sting out of the match. The lack of a crowd helped us in that regard, you often hear the disapproving roars coming from the Mayo crowd when we go backwards with the ball. All that does is increase pressure on the players but sometimes you just need to play keep-ball to see out a result.

Diarmuid O Connor gets a fair amount of criticism and while he's often quiet in league games, he usually steps up to the plate when it's do or die. He stepped up again yesterday.

While Galway's preparation has been far from ideal, there's no way that the likes of Shane Walsh, Michael Daly and Ronan Steede don't have one big performance in them. Particularly now with the more favourable path to an AI final. Expect a major battle next Sunday.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Dubhaltach on November 09, 2020, 06:29:47 PM
A few points on yesterday's game-

For once, our game management was actually good. The game was effectively won mid way through the second half and we never looked like conceding a goal from then on. We kept possession, played it backwards when needed and took the sting out of the match. The lack of a crowd helped us in that regard, you often hear the disapproving roars coming from the Mayo crowd when we go backwards with the ball. All that does is increase pressure on the players but sometimes you just need to play keep-ball to see out a result.

Diarmuid O Connor gets a fair amount of criticism and while he's often quiet in league games, he usually steps up to the plate when it's do or die. He stepped up again yesterday.

While Galway's preparation has been far from ideal, there's no way that the likes of Shane Walsh, Michael Daly and Ronan Steede don't have one big performance in them. Particularly now with the more favourable path to an AI final. Expect a major battle next Sunday.

If Shane Walsh is marked by Durcan he will struggle to have an impact on the game. Daly has yet to establish himself at senior County level. Will Steede start? Played little for Galway seniors.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Mayo are made for winter football-pure warriors and dogs of men. They'll take some beating. What way are Tom Parsons and Seamie O'Shea, any chance of them featuring this year?

Dubhaltach

Daly's a quality player and has been one of the better Galway forwards over the last few years, although there is more in him than he has shown.

If Steede is fit, he'll start, he was beginning to establish a place for himself before covid hit and injury had him out the last few weeks.

whitey

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 09, 2020, 06:55:21 PM
Mayo are made for winter football-pure warriors and dogs of men. They'll take some beating. What way are Tom Parsons and Seamie O'Shea, any chance of them featuring this year?

Say it has more to do with the fact it's always p1$$ing rain in Mayo. Highest rainfall in Ireland I believe

larryin89

Do we know 100% that comer is out ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Dubhaltach on November 09, 2020, 07:00:33 PM
Daly's a quality player and has been one of the better Galway forwards over the last few years, although there is more in him than he has shown.

If Steede is fit, he'll start, he was beginning to establish a place for himself before covid hit and injury had him out the last few weeks.

I can count on one hand the number of Galway matches I haven't been at in the last few years, this is just not true, Daly has had a number of ok performances but he's never been near MOTM contention nor had one that I can recall where you'd think "this lad has it now". Could be forgetting a good performance maybe (off the bench in an FBD league game against Mayo where he turned the tide perhaps but that's just FBD anyway) but the fact that I can't think of it off the top of my head says it all.
I thought he had savage potential underage and ironically the first few Senior appearances were impressive, looked superb coming off the bench in 2017 league final while still U21. Got cleaned out by Murchan in that years U21 final and really that was when his lack of top level pace for IC showed up first.

Daly looked one of the better Galway club footballers in the summer at midfield for Mountbellew/Moylough but don't know if he's been tried there behind the scenes. Certainly has the skill and ability to play long and accurate passing from there, has enough size and height as well. I'd agree that there's more in him but we need to start seeing way more of it for Galway and soon.

Mayo are going to bring unreal pace, athleticism and intensity next weekend along with some serious ballers in good form, Galway will have to match them and outdo them in the intensity stakes because looking at the squad that is there is pick from there's too many lads there that don't match up well to the type of athletes that Mayo can line out.

It's a match that Galway will need players like Daly and a few others to kick on to the next level, would love to see it happen. Paul Conroy is the only regular Galway starting player in outstanding form at the minute, he's had an Indian summer in 2020, top class for club and county all year. Sean Kelly is another who has been superb through the year. O'Donnell another warrior for Galway this year but he is at the tail end of his career.
Outside of that too many off form or injured. Sice coming back in and in the shake up to play really has the alarm bells ringing for me but we'll see how it pans out.

Shane Walsh will need to take on and beat some of the best backs in the country, Durcan is immense at the moment. Can't leave it all to Walsh because he will be well marshalled at the very least some of the time, up to other players to prosper when the focus is on him.

Once Galway die with the boots then the support will be right behind them even if they lose, you say best of luck to Mayo and can look forward to 2021. Last two performances against Mayo in Limerick and Tuam were pathetic and don't want a see a similar performance and tame exit on Sunday, if you're beaten by a team that's better on the day but you've left it all out there then so be it.

larryin89

Why the sudden downbeat narrative about Galway , where has it come from , cause of a poxy league game in Tuam that Galway couldn't be arsed laying a glove on the likes of mark Moran who has hardly played two full games yet .

More to this shite than meets the eye , Joyce is a shrewd ruthless business man irl , I suspect  he's taken that into football management with him along with plenty of advice from Donegal jimmy . Anyone that thinks it will be anything like the Galway from the Tuam game is in for a right shock come Sunday afternoon.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

An Fhairche Abu

Lack of John Daly and Comer from the Spring is massive for me anyway, don't have the replacements to offset those absences.
Goalkeeping situation and kick out strategy is a mess and has been for a long time.
They would be the main issues but as I said once Galway turn up with a big performance then we'll see where it takes them.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on November 09, 2020, 09:28:07 PM
Why the sudden downbeat narrative about Galway , where has it come from , cause of a poxy league game in Tuam that Galway couldn't be arsed laying a glove on the likes of mark Moran who has hardly played two full games yet .

More to this shite than meets the eye , Joyce is a shrewd ruthless business man irl , I suspect  he's taken that into football management with him along with plenty of advice from Donegal jimmy . Anyone that thinks it will be anything like the sunGalway from the Tuam game is in for a right shock come Sunday afternoon.
G'man Larry!
And I thought I thought I was a prize bullshitter. ::)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

MayoBuck

Where did Shane Walsh play against Dublin? If I was Joyce, I'd leave him at 14 for the full game. Think he's much easier to mark out the field.