Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 13, 2018, 07:18:15 PM
I didn't see second half but what happened Parsons? Leg break? I'm not looking for pictures or video. Refuse to watch such things

Dislocated the knee completely.

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on May 13, 2018, 05:52:14 PM
3 in a row for Galway v Mayo.
Mayo will be in the Super 8 but they can't score enough in the last 5 minutes . Maybe they can work on it.

Galway were fortunate that Mayo's shooting was so poor.

Long road for Mayo now.

It's very hard to see them arriving at the business end of affairs firing on all cylinders.

Mayo4Sam14

Anyone else spot the Mayo players walking down the side of the road by Breaffy?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 13, 2018, 07:33:06 PM
Mayo will be in the Super 8 but they can't score enough in the last 5 minutes . Maybe they can work on it.

Long road for Mayo now.

It's very hard to see them arriving at the business end of affairs firing on all cylinders.
Most of the teams in the qfs will be poor quality.
And the May factor is massive. I wouldn't rule Mayo out.
This match doesn't matter.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on May 13, 2018, 07:35:55 PM

Long road for Mayo now.

Do you actually watch the games or just comment on them?

Captain Obvious

Long road for Mayo now.

Cork and Derry were poor sides and should have beaten Mayo last year. The question is can Mayo ride their luck through the qualifiers again?

twohands!!!

Long road for Mayo now.

They'll probably get a couple of close to meaningless wins against Division 3 and Division 4 teams in the first rounds of the qualifiers.
For a team like Mayo who have a world of mileage on them and not a whole lot of options on the bench, the qualifiers will be something like a death by a thousand cuts.
Even if they do reach a Super 8 what sort of state is the squad likely to be in in terms of injuries and knocks after 4 qualifier games.
Andy Moran looked an old old man when he was subbed off.
Even if they come through 3 tough games in the Super 8, what sort of state will the squad be in for a semi-final.
They are a bunch of stubborn bucks on the Mayo team, but stubborness, grit and determination will only take you so far.
Maybe they will get a kind run in the qualifiers and somehow make it to the Super 8 but I just cant see Mayo getting past the Super 8 stage.
To me they had the look of a team who had gone to the well so many times and have nothing left to give.

larryin89

Gallant warriors that will never get the credit they deserve . Thanks for the memories
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on May 13, 2018, 07:54:39 PM
Gallant warriors that will never get the credit they deserve . Thanks for the memories

Dry yer eyes.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 13, 2018, 07:42:58 PM

Long road for Mayo now.

Cork and Derry were poor sides and should have beaten Mayo last year. The question is can Mayo ride their luck through the qualifiers again?

What's worse is I had folk from Cork telling me that the Cork footballers weren't far away from the top table because they had managed to take Mayo to extra-time last summer.
They went quiet about this soon enough when the league started and Cork were looking downward wondering about relegation permutations.

Mayo had long periods in games in the championship last year where they were very poor and were relying on their experience and know-how to get over the line.
Their best performance was the final; and a lot of people seem to think they were that standard all throughout the championship.

However if you look at the other games their form was very inconsistent and unimpressive.
Needed a replay to struggle past a very out-of-form looking Kerry.
Needed a replay to get past Roscommon.
Cork took them to extra-time in the qualifiers.
Beat Clare with a double-goal salvo early in the 2nd half, but Clare were leading at half-time.
Beat Derry after extra-time.
Lost to Galway.
Beat Sligo in Connacht.

Then look at their results in the league this year.
Bar the Kildare game and the Tyrone hammering, every game was pretty much a dogfight.
Go back to last year's league game and you will see that they were in a a lot of dog fights there too.
It's an admirably quality in a team to be hard to beat, but that's not normally a defining trait of teams that win championships.
No matter how much fight in the dog, dog-fighting every day means you're going to pick up bumps and bruises and eventually going to get knocked out.

Mayo need a trip through the qualifiers like they need 10 holes in their head.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 07:37:05 PM

Long road for Mayo now.

Any Connacht final Ros won since 2000 never mattered either despite the excitement . Oh, the excitement

https://youtu.be/1q6otO_GLTY

The  business end of the championship happens at a different pace

Galway beat Mayo last year and it did not matter.
Tipp lost to.Cork in hurling and it did not matter
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on May 13, 2018, 08:25:14 PM

Long road for Mayo now.

Any Connacht final Ros won since 2000 never mattered either despite the excitement . Oh, the excitement

Is that a no so?

Farrandeelin

It was an ugly game for a neutral I'm sure. First of all well done to Galway. The team with the most on the scoreboard wins. Like most of the spring campaign, it wasn't Mayo. I'm sick of the sight of forwards not shooting and when they do shoot it's hit and mostly miss. Galway were more direct in the first half. In the second half with the extra man I thought they would push on more.

For me the game changed on two things, sending off and Parsons injury. DOC - ffs stupid to lead with the elbow even if you are trying to protect the ball. Parsons - shit luck for Mayo but terrible for himself. I thought he was doing well putting it up to Galway in the 2nd half with a man down. I thought DOC was doing ok up until his wreckless challenge.

Comer after threatening to create havoc early on was kept relatively quiet. Higgins sweeping in front of him probably helped. Our halfbacks were ok. SOS tired as I said he would but gave it his all. Aiden wasn't as effective as he can be. Andy was good too and Doherty tried hard to. Loftus was poor in my opinion. Not enough movement. Best were Higgins, Seamie O'Shea and McLoughlin. Parsons until he went off and Clarke had a good game in goals too. I thought oursubs weren't as effective as the men being taken off.

We enter in the backdoor without Parsons. D O'Connor misses the next game. We could have put on Regan instead of Drake. He might have slotted one free over the bar instead of McLoughlin who hates taking frees anyway. When talking of missed points - Galway's last of the first half was wide. The umpires and ref thought different. Hard to be positive given Friday night's result.

I may have not given Galway the credit they deserve. I'm just posting my own Mayo thoughts.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on May 13, 2018, 08:25:14 PM

Long road for Mayo now.

Lets stick with the here and now shall we? that mattered very much to Mayo as today in front of their home support was to be the day to turn Galway over and to avoid a 3rd championship defeat in a row against them. Well done to Galway but lets be honest Mayo were architects of their own downfall again and not just the players as Rochford and co on the line didn't cover himself in glory again.

DJGaliv

Galway- Mayo games - all that matters is getting over the line and into the next round. All this nonsense and worry about playing styles and performances seems to be a relatively new phenomenon.

Great to get the win today as I think Galway needed that after all that was said about them in the build up.

Interesting about both teams keeping lads in reserve to finish the game out with likes of Brannigan and COC. I'd have thought if lads are injury risks you might start them and lose one substitution rather than bring them on and potentially lose two subs.

Ian Burke is just a class act. He adds so much more to us in attack. His movement and link play is as good as I've seen in a Galway jersey in a long time. He's a must to start the next day.

Well done Galway and fair play Heaney for the finish today.
A lot to work on but it was all about a battle and getting through to the next round.

All the best to Parsons. And Conroy too.