Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

34k there in 06 , pretty sure I can remember 39k back in 90s. Great atmosphere  days , when provincial  championship football was nail biting stuff
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on April 24, 2018, 01:34:55 PM
34k there in 06 , pretty sure I can remember 39k back in 90s. Great atmosphere  days , when provincial  championship football was nail biting stuff

The match twenty years ago in Castlebar was as good as it gets, the atmosphere was just electric.
They may have gone slightly over the top with the capacity reductions (particularly in Castlebar) but there is definitely the need for health and safety though. I'll never forget '99 in Tuam, the crowding on the terrace was ridiculous and the place was in a total heap with all the rain.

larryin89

Ahh but they were great days mo chara, something very special about them Mayo v Galway clashes down the years . That atmosphere and sense of occasion doesn't just happen , it started back in the 1930s when people would cycle the length and breath of the province to watch Mayo v Galway  . I remember  reading quotes from the great Jimmy Murray of Roscommon about it , he used to cycle himself to them and said he took inspiration from both teams with Galway winning two all Irelands and Mayo one along with the famous six in a row league titles.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on April 24, 2018, 03:19:24 PM
Ahh but they were great days mo chara, something very special about them Mayo v Galway clashes down the years . That atmosphere and sense of occasion doesn't just happen , it started back in the 1930s when people would cycle the length and breath of the province to watch Mayo v Galway  . I remember  reading quotes from the great Jimmy Murray of Roscommon about it , he used to cycle himself to them and said he took inspiration from both teams with Galway winning two all Irelands and Mayo one along with the famous six in a row league titles.
It was definitely more exciting when it was knock out.
All Ireland finalists 96-98 got dumped out the following year  in 98 and 99. When Galway and Mayo are playing at the highest skill level the matches can be fabulous.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Mayo lost a challenge to Donegal. 2-21 to 2-18.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

That's it, you may forget about beating Galway now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2018, 10:11:40 AM
That's it, you may forget about beating Galway now.
vnava
Mayo only bloom in August, Jinxy, after all the flowers are pulled up in Navan Garden Centre.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 25, 2018, 10:06:14 AM

Was this in Hurling they were playing? :P

Maroon Manc

A few injuries appearing for Galway which is only natural, I expect Mayo to have everyone back for the May 13th apart from Keegan.

I just don't see it as big a game as some others are trying to make out although there is more pressure on Mayo with every defeat they suffer usually greeted with the end of the era narrative.

Both teams should qualify for the super 8's unless the loser is extremely unlucky with the draw. 

moysider

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 26, 2018, 09:46:01 AM
A few injuries appearing for Galway which is only natural, I expect Mayo to have everyone back for the May 13th apart from Keegan.

I just don't see it as big a game as some others are trying to make out although there is more pressure on Mayo with every defeat they suffer usually greeted with the end of the era narrative.

Both teams should qualify for the super 8's unless the loser is extremely unlucky with the draw.

I disagree. I think only one playing on the 13th May will make Super 8's!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on April 26, 2018, 10:09:44 AM

Any team anywhere for that Farr?

Haven't heard. Harrison rumoured to have taken part though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 26, 2018, 11:28:59 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 26, 2018, 09:46:01 AM

I disagree. I think only one playing on the 13th May will make Super 8's!
Depends on the draw and if they get a bit of luck along the way!
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 26, 2018, 01:14:09 PM

Gavin Duffy played full forward

Orchard park

Quote from: ballinaman on April 26, 2018, 02:24:19 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 26, 2018, 01:14:09 PM

Gavin Duffy played full forward

Only in the 2md half he had to move from midfield as could catch Aidan O'Sheas kickouts. Keegan put in a serious 70 min shift and was good to see Dermot Flanagan back to give more options in attack