Down New manager

Started by Down1234, July 04, 2018, 05:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrose

You can't live off history and tradition forever

Carbery

Brick Tamlin

Carbery

Pete McGrath is now available as he has just stepped down as Louth manager.

charlieTully

I think smurfy should be the next down manager. With his brother as main coach, his sister as physio and his psychiatrist as water boy.

downjim

Could McGrath and Poacher work??!

Mourne Red

Quote from: downjim on July 06, 2018, 08:52:16 AM

McGrath was roaded from Fermanagh by the players and now Louth. I think time might be over on his inter-county days, would you not prefer someone younger with something to prove??

downjim

Yes Stevie with wee Pete to keep an eye on him . Works a treat in Carlow

gaaman2016

Main priority should be to get someone will be entice the best players to play. Current panel has too many players whose standard is slightly below those that are not on the panel or at least that's my perception watching club games anyway.

At the minute it seems very easy for someone to turn down a county call up whereas 10 years ago it would have an honour. Not saying it's completely as a result of the manager but they can play a role

For me Wee James is best positioned for that, not sure about Poucher. But a management team of the two of the them, I think would entice more players than the previous regime

mourneman9194

Lads, have been a long time reader of this board and share everyone's frustration. Was at all three games this year and I still believe that we aren't as bad as we were made to look. I believe it was more of a reflection on the management. That being said, one name being forgotten here and should be considered is Frank Dawson. He has had time away from the county scene and I believe he'd be the perfect man for the job. I also believe that Jody Gormley should be considered for the backroom team. 2 new names to consider Lads, what do yous think. Absolutely vital that the CB get this appointment right, can't afford another 3 years of failure.

RadioGAAGAA

Maybe things have changed, but back when I was more in tune with things - Dawson would have been pretty much top of the list for expensive mercenaries that don't bring much to the table.

edit: Anyway, are we not kinda wasting our time spending so much energy on the senior manager - even if it was Jesus Christ, with a backroom team of St. Michael and St. Jude - they'd still not have the tools to do much beyond an Ulster final.

Really, we should be focusing more attention on improving the quality of player across the county. That starts with underage. Who are the county coaches running around the primary schools and clubs, are they at the standard required? Is there more that can be done in terms of people, facilities or competitions?
i usse an speelchekor

OgraAnDun

Gormley's name shouldn't be anywhere near a shortlist, look at the performances of the Abbey MacRory team over the past ten years.

mourneman9194

Hence why I said backroom team. Done well with Bredagh and Cullyhanna. He would help create a better defensive structure.

befair

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 04, 2018, 06:00:21 PM
Candidates
1-Deegan
2-McCartan
3-Poacher
4-Mulholland
5-Tally
6- McGrath

Out of the above Pete has obviously the best cv but has he got what it takes to move on with the modern game?
McCartan has the experience and done well
Tally has done it all and again would be good
Poacher would be the wild card out of the lot but you just can't turn a blind eye to what he has done in Carlow and would bring some buzz back
Mulholland worked wonders with Rostrevor
Deegan has failed in wherever he has been

Can't really say Mulholland worked wonders with Rostrevor; probably 90% of Rostrevor teams over the last 50 yrs (our first time demoted from senior status for 50 yrs) would have won the intermediate championship easily. Team are playing much better this year, better selection, less defensive. Give him a B+ at best

elk

Quote from: downjim on July 06, 2018, 08:52:16 AM
I think the better players in the county who have opted out under Burns would still stay away if Poacher was involved. Wouldn't enjoy his defensive style and he has probably insulted most of them from the sideline over the years. There is definitely talent around if the next manager can get them interested in representing their county.