Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: full moon on May 29, 2022, 06:44:07 PM
RTE coverage is an embarrassment so it's not surprise they were lambasting the game. They seem to only give a shit about Dublin hammering teams and Munster Hurling.

Needs a total overhaul in there of RTE pundits, commentary etc.

thought it was way over the top. It was a tight and at times ugly game but at least it was competitive. Give me that any day over a turkey shoot

Baile an tuaigh

One of Derrys great qualities today was to remain calm and focused when falling behind. They never panicked.

tintin25

RTE coverage was ridiculous.  Yes, wasn't a great game but at least it was close all the way through. 

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Derry deserved it.
Donegal no great shakes and haven't been for a while.
Great crowd.
Penalty at the end but would have been injustice fir Derry to lose.
Usually neither team good enough to win AI but just maybe this year.
Booing of free takers unwelcome.
Gaelic Football not what it was despite some unbelievable athletic advancement (maybe because of it )

StephenC

Well done Derry. Was very nervous about this one and for good reason. Good people in Derry and I'm delighted for them - enjoy every minute of the coming days and weeks.

Didn't see the first half as I was on a plane, listened to the 2nd half on the radio and then watched extra time. From the radio it sounded like we were very lucky not have 2 lads black carded in the final few minutes of regular time.

Extra time played right into Derry's hands. Michael Murphy's age showed up in the last few minutes - his man created the overlaps for the last 2 points. Age is a fecker. We just don't have the leaders who can step up when the pressure is on, and I feel that Declan has taken this team as far as he can.

Time for the lads to dust themselves off and see what the qualifiers can bring.

Main Street

It ended up being a different challenge for Derry today than their first two games, they meet that with guile and totally deserved the title.

The BBC  punditry is a mile ahead of RTE but the commentary was hysteria on steroids, reaching frenzied excitement as the 100th handpass was intercepted, on other occasions rendered speechless (thank god) when they ran out of superlatives to describe quite frankly the most boring last 2 minutes of an ulster final as Donegal pondered themselves to a full stop.

marty34

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 29, 2022, 06:17:39 PM
That was a clear as penalty as you will ever see. Mchugh bear hugged from behind.

Yeah, it was a bit over zealous by the keeper alright. He was dodgy enough through the game.

Derry's fitness stood to them even though they had a week less tp prepare.

For all their Ulster Final inexperience, they's some amount of experience throughout that Derry team.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

RTE coverage is an embarrassment so it's not surprise they were lambasting the game. They seem to only give a shit about Dublin hammering teams and Munster Hurling.

Well Munster hurling is going to win it hands down fir the neutral 9 times out of 10 but pretty pointless puting Dublin football on in Leinster.

Sidebottom on bbc is beyond unbearable

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Main Street on May 29, 2022, 08:20:24 PM
It ended up being a different challenge for Derry today than their first two games, they meet that with guile and totally deserved the title.

The BBC  punditry is a mile ahead of RTE but the commentary was hysteria on steroids, reaching frenzied excitement as the 100th handpass was intercepted, on other occasions rendered speechless (thank god) when they ran out of superlatives to describe quite frankly the most boring last 2 minutes of an ulster final as Donegal pondered themselves to a full stop.

"Worldy" lol

Champion The Wonder Horse

Delighted with that.

Did enough to win, but coulda gone either way.

Good luck to Donegal for the rest of the season.

full moon

Quote from: straightred on May 29, 2022, 07:50:30 PM

thought it was way over the top. It was a tight and at times ugly game but at least it was competitive. Give me that any day over a turkey shoot

Agree I thought yesterday was an embarrassment, and Galway Roscommon was hardly a classic either. I didn't even bother with the second half  of that one.

They always are determined to dig at Ulster football. Anything that isn't Dublin/Kerry walloping teams or Munster Hurling RTE they have issues with. Lucky we have BBCNI but it's gone now too after that game

full moon

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 29, 2022, 08:21:58 PM

Well Munster hurling is going to win it hands down fir the neutral 9 times out of 10 but pretty pointless puting Dublin football on in Leinster.

Sidebottom on bbc is beyond unbearable

Depends where in the country you are, Hurling is non existent in many areas

charlieTully

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 29, 2022, 07:48:33 PM
Quote from: knockitdown on May 29, 2022, 07:31:47 PM
Fair play to Derry. Wouldn't have seen that coming even on the back of their league performance. Is it only 3 years from they were in Div 4? There's hope yet for Down  :'(
Even when their senior team has been in the doldrums, Derry have been ticking along well and been competitive at minor & U20/21 levels - remember they were 2020 All-Ireland minor champions.
There's been no such undercurrent in Down OTOH.

Won ulster under 20s last year. Jesus its hard to like the nouveau riche. We will be back.

Loughshore2022

A beautiful experience to witness for a South Derry person particularly a 30 year old like me who doesn't remember the 1998 win. I am still a little bit drunk, I will remember it until the day I die.

befair

After only 10 secs, 15 men behind the ball; the GAA can't come up with a rule to disincentivise defensive tactics. Even worse at club level btw.
Delighted to see Chris McKaigue and Brendan Rodgers winning at county level; great players for their club for years, now getting some recognition.
Donegal were so negative; had a minute at the end of injury to get up the field for a winner, but faffed around as usual, allowed the ref to blow it up.
Michael Murphy is one of the all-time greats, but surely his time has come; edge of the square or nowhere.