Monaghan v Derry USFC SF Sunday May15th 16.00

Started by Main Street, May 02, 2022, 04:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: screenexile on May 15, 2022, 06:47:50 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on May 15, 2022, 06:41:33 PM
Jesus lads but derry are hard to watch.  Just when I thought we were getting away from the defensive stuff.  Donegal are fairly defensive too.  Not looking forward to the final

3-12 and 1-18 in our last few matches... surely that's always the way it was going to go concede little and make sure you score plenty at the other end.

To be honest I didn't think we'd the players to put up those scores but I'm glad we do!

Sums it up SE
2 x 21 point totals and keeping er tight at the back
Not too shabby
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 15, 2022, 07:45:36 PM
Top class from Derry.

Completely dominated the first half forcing Monaghan I to shooting from poor positions.
Really purposeful in attack and looked like scoring from every attack.
Hopefully Loughlin isnt badly injured as he's been playing really well.

Benny Heron's best season in a Derry jersey.

Glass was awesome, Chrissy and Rogers locked the door.
Lynch did really well in goals. Even in the second half when monaghan were coming strong he just kept calm and did the simple things right.

But for me mckinless is a different level. His running, defending, tackling, attacking and his goal were as good as you'll see.

Gough was a total joke today in that second half in particular.

Brilliant win, brilliant buzz. Donegal are there to beat now.
That's another story.
We should have beat them last year nad we have their ex manager.
Could this be our year to finally get back to winning championships?

McKinless is some player. I would agree with neutrals on Gough - few iffy decisions but think they balanced out.

Eire90

if derry win ulster then could you say they genuine contenders.

Captain Obvious

Jesus lads but derry are hard to watch.  Just when I thought we were getting away from the defensive stuff.  Donegal are fairly defensive too.  Not looking forward to the final

You might have a point if Derry won their last two games 0-10 to 0-9.

Throw ball

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 15, 2022, 08:16:01 PM

To be fair the opposition played into their hands.

Their defence won the game for them. Forced Monaghan into kicking a significant amount of wides

God14

The game was over by half time effectively, Gallagher alluded to that in his interview
Banty had an absolute shocker, he mustnt have bothered to watch Derrys previous game with Tyrone
He just played straight into their hands by keeping 2 to 3 men up and not mirroring the Derry set up.
Very naive, deary me

screenexile

Quote from: tintin25 on May 15, 2022, 07:49:55 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 15, 2022, 07:37:31 PM
Quote from: OakLeaf on May 15, 2022, 06:08:08 PM
Great performance from Doire. Gough gave us nothing in the second half. Yellow cards for Derry and nothing for Monaghan for exactly the same tackles. Now for Donegal..... another step up in class.

Think you need to get your red tinted glasses changed. Gough made a few iffy decisions but thought he was fair to both teams.

Agree.  Watching as a neutral he was fair enough to both teams.

2 that spring to mind immediately are the goal chance where McGuigsn was pulled down and it wasn't a yellow and there was a Monaghan lad in the first half blatantly grabbed an arm and fell over!

McKinless and McGuigan harshly blown up for overcarrying when fouled although to be fair he blew Monaghan a time or 2 for similar.
There were other soft enough frees Monaghan got to let them back into it but they did play better second half.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Derry were great. Ref was decent. Monaghan no slouches

befair

thewobbler

Ref was grand. Harsh on mckinless a few times but overal pretty consistent, even allowing a few extra steps as a matter of course.

Derry in the covid championship put on one of the most negative displays I ever saw. Complaints above are bizarre. They're now a proper counter attacking team and they're a pleasure to watch imho.

JoG2

Top class from Derry.

Completely dominated the first half forcing Monaghan I to shooting from poor positions.

Lynch did really well in goals. Even in the second half when monaghan were coming strong he just kept calm and did the simple things right.

But for me mckinless is a different level. His running, defending, tackling, attacking and his goal were as good as you'll see.

That's another story.

Good post tbrick. Another really enjoyable championship day out. The wains all buzzing on the way home too, wee bag of chips. You couldn't beat it and an Ulster Final to look forward to. The Athletic Grounds is a superb venue for football

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Throw ball on May 15, 2022, 08:22:52 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 15, 2022, 08:16:01 PM

To be fair the opposition played into their hands.

Their defence won the game for them. Forced Monaghan into kicking a significant amount of wides

Derry defended better against Tyrone. Today 0-17 conceded and  Monaghan had another 13 scoring opportunities, granted Derry with their intensity and hard tackling played their part in how wasteful Monaghan was however Derry will have to improve defensively if they are to beat Donegal in the final.

What won it for Derry most today was getting three goals and could have scored a few more. The way Monaghan was caught out on all of them was more like a minor team than established division 1 and that's on Banty with Gallagher out smarting him.

Main Street

Quote from: JoG2 on May 15, 2022, 09:59:22 PM
Top class from Derry.

That's another story.

Good post tbrick. Another really enjoyable championship day out. The wains all buzzing on the way home too, wee bag of chips. You couldn't beat it and an Ulster Final to look forward to. The Athletic Grounds is a superb venue for football

It was a good day out for some, but there were other car rides home where the wee wains were in tears and no chips.

tyrone08

Fair play to Derry today. Deserved the win. Monaghan were slow in the first half although that was to do with Derrys good play. Thought the ref was a slight bit harsh on monaghan in the first half.

I would imagine the game against Donegal will be will be tight and cage for the first 20 mins or so. I would expect Derry to win it between 3-5points to spare

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM