Donating blood / training

Started by JoG2, October 28, 2015, 11:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

I'll be donating blood in a couple of weeks. Anyone any experience on how long you should wait before hitting the gym again, spin class, intense circuits? Have read varying reports online, some ranging from a day to a few weeks. Wouldn't fancy fainting in front of a class tbh!

macdanger2

I've always been grand after a day or two. Ask in the clinic

deiseach

Here's the official advice. If it is your first time then a bout of light-headedness is likely (that was my experience anyway) so it's probably best to be safe than sorry.

QuoteAfter giving blood we advise that you:

• stay in our clinic for at least 15 minutes after donating,
• have some light refreshments in our canteen during this time,
• do not smoke for at least an hour,
• drink plenty of non-alcoholic liquids,
• avoid alcoholic drinks for at least 6 hours,
• do not have a hot bath or shower on the day you donate,
• do not use a sauna or steam room on the day you donate,
• avoid standing for long periods especially in poorly ventilated areas – such as standing in a long queue or on crowded public transport,
• avoid strenuous exercise until the next day – such as jogging, running, swimming or going to the gym,
• avoid any activity that may present a hazard to you or others if you were to become weak or light-headed.

illdecide

Iv'e been giving blood for 20 years and TBH it has never effected me in any way, i have went and trained straight after giving blood and was fine. On the flip side of that i've seen people fainting and feeling unwell after giving blood...suppose it just depends on the individual...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JoG2

thanks men. I've a circuit session the following morning early, giving blood at 5pm the previous evening. These sessions are brutal with a full quota of blood !

deiseach

Quote from: illdecide on October 28, 2015, 02:32:50 PM
Iv'e been giving blood for 20 years and TBH it has never effected me in any way, i have went and trained straight after giving blood and was fine. On the flip side of that i've seen people fainting and feeling unwell after giving blood...suppose it just depends on the individual...

The first couple of times I gave blood I felt a bit hot under the collar. Since then, I've been fine. I've gotten out of the habit of going having received an infusion a while back. This thread is a reminder to get back into the routine.

Boycey

I've never been eligible to give blood in Ireland due to having been resident in the UK for a cumulative period of more than 12 months in 80s-early 90s. I'm a CJD risk apparently...

Its something I would like to do

dec

Quote from: Boycey on October 28, 2015, 03:17:54 PM
I've never been eligible to give blood in Ireland due to having been resident in the UK for a cumulative period of more than 12 months in 80s-early 90s. I'm a CJD risk apparently...

Its something I would like to do

Does that include people who lived in Northern Ireland?

I can't give blood here in the US for the same reason, but their ban extends to people who lived in most countries in Europe with varying durations.

At this time, the American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows:

You are not eligible to donate if:

From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK) or France. The UK includes any of the countries listed below.

Channel Islands
    England
    Falkland Islands
    Gibraltar
    Isle of Man
    Northern Ireland
    Scotland
    Wales

You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames

From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
    From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.

You spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 5 years or more from January 1, 1980, to present, in any combination of country(ies) in Europe, including

in the UK from 1980 through 1996 as listed above
    on or associated with military bases as described above, and
    in other countries in Europe as listed below:
        Albania
        Austria
        Belgium
        Bosnia/Herzegovina
        Bulgaria
        Croatia
        Czech Republic
        Denmark
        Finland
        France
        Germany
        Greece
        Hungary
        Ireland (Republic of)
        Italy
        Kosovo (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
        Liechtenstein
        Luxembourg
        Macedonia
        Montenegro (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
        Netherlands (Holland)
        Norway
        Poland
        Portugal
        Romania
        Serbia (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
        Slovak Republic (Slovakia)
        Slovenia
        Spain
        Sweden
        Switzerland
        Turkey
        Yugoslavia (Federal Republic includes Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia)

take_yer_points

A friend of mine did the Dublin marathon on Monday, and instead of asking for sponsorship he asked people to donate blood. He reckons somewhere around 390 pints of blood were donated from him doing the marathon (though I'm sure some of that would've been donated anyway). I thought that was a great idea

Never beat the deeler

I donate plasma here in Australia - they take the blood as per usual, then it goes into a centrifuge where it is separated out and the plasma removed. The rest of the blood is then returned to the body. As a result, you can donate every 2 weeks, instead of the usual 12 weeks for whole blood donations.

http://www.donateblood.com.au/files/pdfs/Plasma_donations_April_2014.pdf

As for the initial question, I find that if I am sufficiently hydrated, and I eat after giving blood, I'm perfectly ok to train the following morning
Hasta la victoria siempre