Galway v Derry 18/07/2015

Started by screenexile, July 13, 2015, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 19, 2015, 11:00:36 PM
After all the giving out and criticism of the referee by the lads on the Sunday Game they didn't think it worth while to mention the kick on Micheál Lundy which should have been a straight red for Eoin Bradley?

They didnt show murphys body check on Mcmanus. They didnt show Byran Sheehan's possible black card. They don't get everything but the point was well made - Lane was shocking.

lenny

Quote from: Manning18 on July 19, 2015, 10:56:01 PM
Don't think that was a penalty either. If anything its a square ball, he had one leg inside the square before the pass came. Given how inept Derry's shooting was, no certainty to score the pen in any case. @lenny, would the Cummins free not be completely cancelled by the farcical free in given to Derry in the first few mins? Like I said, the ref was blowing for everything, one team adapted quickly, the other didn't. Black card was wrong for sure. At the end of the day, it's not a sending off though, he gets replaced. Was very disappointed by Derry. They've always been defensive but it's farcical stuff from a proud football county like that. Would like to see them get an open style manager and give it a proper go

We're both biased re the penalty decision. All the sunday game panellists who are neutral thought it was a blatant penalty. Dessie dolan also thought several of the galway frees were very soft and that derry were hard done by. Im not too disappointed though. A quarter final was probably as good as we could have hoped for. We havent always been defensive, in fact its really only this year we have played that way. I dont like it but all teams seem to be going that way. Best of luck to galway, always really liked the place and their great team from about 15 years ago.

grounded

Derry were hard done by. Whether the ref's decisions cost them the match is debatable, but he had a very poor performance. McStay tried to blame Derry there, but the Sunday Game highlights clearly demonstrated the ref's errors and the cost to Derry on the scoreboard. To be honest neither side will trouble the top teams but I can empathise with McIvor in this case, even if I do detest the their defensive style. 

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: straightred on July 19, 2015, 11:03:13 PM
After all the giving out and criticism of the referee by the lads on the Sunday Game they didn't think it worth while to mention the kick on Micheál Lundy which should have been a straight red for Eoin Bradley?

They didnt show murphys body check on Mcmanus. They didnt show Byran Sheehan's possible black card. They don't get everything but the point was well made - Lane was shocking.

I agree that he gave a lot of soft frees in the game. To both sides. Unfortunately the frees Derry conceded tended to be a lot closer to the posts. Not like he wasn't giving frees to Derry. They had 3 more in the first half alone than Galway did. Black card was an awful decision. Kick on Lundy. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he just didn't see it.

Manning18

Quote from: grounded on July 19, 2015, 11:06:22 PM
Derry were hard done by. Whether the ref's decisions cost them the match is debatable, but he had a very poor performance. McStay tried to blame Derry there, but the Sunday Game highlights clearly demonstrated the ref's errors and the cost to Derry on the scoreboard. To be honest neither side will trouble the top teams but I can empathise with McIvor in this case, even if I do detest the their defensive style.

Thats two apparently solid Ulster sides that Galway have dispatched with a bit of ease. Most exciting forward to come back in aswel. Granted theyre not at the top table yet, but they'll be playing a top side in 2 weeks (Donegal), and will be no huge outsiders in that game. Feel a bit hard done by with the draw tbh, but got lucky last year I suppose

J70

Murphy's tackle was shoulder to shoulder. Murphy didn't make any move towards him anyway. He just stood his ground.

Throw ball

Sunday Game suggest referee was harsh on Derry. Last week the Independent quoted Galway FM saying they got a number of soft frees against Armagh. Next up Donegal. They will probably need all the help they can get!

Throw ball

Quote from: J70 on July 20, 2015, 12:44:30 AM

Thought Murphy's was a black card to be honest.

Murphy's tackle was shoulder to shoulder. Murphy didn't make any move towards him anyway. He just stood his ground.

trileacman

Quote from: Throw ball on July 20, 2015, 12:49:52 AM

Me too. I think he knew what he was at, shoulder to shoulder, no chance.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

J70

Quote from: Throw ball on July 20, 2015, 12:49:52 AM

Well, I only saw it during the live broadcast, but the replay looked to me like McManus ran into where he was standing and Murphy stood his ground. If that is a black card offense, there is something wrong. But I stand to be corrected.

Keyser soze

Only saw the game on the box.

There's no doubt the referee gave Galway a number of incredibly soft frees which brought them into the game and put them into a handy lead at half-time, for some of them I couldn't even see any significant contact let alone a foul.  The black card was a complete joke.

One of the commentators yesterday likened football to basketball, if clowns like this continue to referee games we will end up with a complete non-contact sport, tag gaelic. He was also very biased towards Galway and after that performance should be taken off the referees panel. Mills Lane would have done a better job. I'm putting a tenner on him to get the AI final  ::)

Derry.......While i don't want to be critical of the players and management, we reverted to slow lateral nonsense across the pitch, and before anybody blames the conditions we have been doing the same stuff for 10+ years, some of the brainless stuff we done yesterday.....getting THREE frees moved forward.... OMGFG. We still seem to be miles behind in our setup and discipline than the top teams, Galway's transition to attack yesterday was much smoother than ours, everything we did was sooooo laboured.

Finally congratulations to Galway and good luck in the next round. Saturday was very poor conditions for good football but they have some fine players and a good structure. They 've given a very good Mayo side a tight game and saw off two decent Ulster sides. Why anyone would write them off against Donegal seems unfathomable, I think they have a great chance of beating them.

mckieran

Interestingly enough, a lot of people sitting around me in Pearse Stadium felt the black card was a black card. It is easy to see it wasn't a black card in the replay. But in real time, it was not so easy.

tbrick18

Firstly congrats to Galway, fully deserved the win. Were better on the day and we can have no complaints about the result.

We were a shambles, both on and off the pitch.
But the main talking point has to be the referee. It was such an inept, seemingly biased performance that I think he should be struck off.
If Derry put any kind of tackle in it was a free against them. Compare the amount of frees conceded in the scoring zone against Donegal with that against Galway.
No offence to Galway, but IMO, Donegal have better forwards/attacking options so in theory we should have had more problems tackling there without fouling. The fouls that we were conceding at our end for tackling were not given at the other end of the pitch for virtually identical tackles! Now, you could argue inconsistency rather than biased, but inconsistency would suggest he made an equal number of errors for both sides in similar zones and that certainly wasnt the case.

The black card was definitely not a black card.
The penalty appeal was definitely a penalty.
There was a foot block which should also have been a penalty.
There was a foot block which should have been a 14 yard free.
Eoin Bradley should have had red for a kick towards the end.

Now if you take out all of the frees which should/should not have been given and reduce it to these 5 decisions, it is clear that the referee had a major adverse input to the result of this game due to incorrect decision making.

All that said, we weren't good enough, though if the ref had been any way decent we could possibly have had a better result. From the Donegal game, we were missing McFaul and Johsnton for the whole game (two of our better players in that match) and Mark Lynch for the second half who was obviously injured in the first half. So we were up against it anyway.

Good luck to Galway, Donegal will be a different challenge for yous, but I hope you's can turn them over. For some reason I dont really understand myself I always like to see Galway do well (even after 1998, 2001), it might be because I've had a few good nights out around the town!

grounded

Quote from: Manning18 on July 19, 2015, 11:27:38 PM
Quote from: grounded on July 19, 2015, 11:06:22 PM

Thats two apparently solid Ulster sides that Galway have dispatched with a bit of ease. Most exciting forward to come back in aswel. Granted theyre not at the top table yet, but they'll be playing a top side in 2 weeks (Donegal), and will be no huge outsiders in that game. Feel a bit hard done by with the draw tbh, but got lucky last year I suppose

Funnily after Sunday I think Donegal are very vulnerable. Murphy looks injured, McFadden is totally off his game and apart from mcBrearty the other forwards offer little scoring threat. If you can nullify Murphy you are in with a chance.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 19, 2015, 11:08:52 PM

I agree that he gave a lot of soft frees in the game. To both sides. Unfortunately the frees Derry conceded tended to be a lot closer to the posts. Not like he wasn't giving frees to Derry. They had 3 more in the first half alone than Galway did. Black card was an awful decision. Kick on Lundy. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he just didn't see it.

Galway conceded 26 frees whilst Derry conceded 18. I agree the ref was giving soft frees for both teams but that is been completely ignored on here. Galway had the cop on to realise the ref was blowing for everything and were more careful with their tackles in their own half whilst Derry lacked any sort of discipline.

After going 3 points down early on Galway out scored Derry 1-11 to 0-4 points in the next 55 minutes.

These are games we'd have lost under in previous years. Plenty of positives to take to the Donegal game.