Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

From a  Pat Mc Eneany interview last week;

"A goalkeeper taking a kick-out, can a goalkeeper soccer dribble the ball out and without taking the ball into his hands, kick the ball 40-yards up the field? Yes, he can.

So what he's saying is., a goalkeeper ,  instead of lumping it upfield off the tee, can knock the ball off the tee, dribble it as far as he wants, as long as he doesn't pick it up?

Dabh

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 27, 2022, 11:40:21 AM

"A goalkeeper taking a kick-out, can a goalkeeper soccer dribble the ball out and without taking the ball into his hands, kick the ball 40-yards up the field? Yes, he can.

So what he's saying is., a goalkeeper ,  instead of lumping it upfield off the tee, can knock the ball off the tee, dribble it as far as he wants, as long as he doesn't pick it up?

Yes
Rule 2.7a
The player taking a kick-out may kick the ball more than once before any other player touches it but may not take the ball into his hands.

Dabh

'Kerry would argue that they themselves were unfortunate to have a free scored against them in the 64th minute when Gavin White performed a perfectly legal shoulder on Cillian McDaid. The problem with that is McDaid collided into Jack Barry and as the Galway midfielder was sandwiched and had no opportunity to fall from the tackle it was a free.'
.. taken from Brian Gavins' 'Referee Review' in the examiner

Has anyone any idea what rule prevents a player from shouldering someone if they do not allow for the recipient to 'fall'
Or this just 'made up' nonsense?

JoG2

Quote from: Dabh on July 28, 2022, 09:01:26 AM
'Kerry would argue that they themselves were unfortunate to have a free scored against them in the 64th minute when Gavin White performed a perfectly legal shoulder on Cillian McDaid. The problem with that is McDaid collided into Jack Barry and as the Galway midfielder was sandwiched and had no opportunity to fall from the tackle it was a free.'

Has anyone any idea what rule prevents a player from shouldering someone if they do not allow for the recipient to 'fall'

Plucked from the sky. Shoulder to shoulder obviously allowed for in the rule book, anything after isn't covered / mentioned

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Dabh on July 27, 2022, 11:51:56 AM

Yes
Rule 2.7a
The player taking a kick-out may kick the ball more than once before any other player touches it but may not take the ball into his hands.

Went for a short kick out once and got too much of the tee, ball barely went the distance to let full back get it - so I could of ran out and hoofed it away before the forward got in? Ref would have blew that 100%.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on July 28, 2022, 10:17:59 AM

Yes
Rule 2.7a

Went for a short kick out once and got too much of the tee, ball barely went the distance to let full back get it - so I could of ran out and hoofed it away before the forward got in? Ref would have blew that 100%.

A ref that may not know that rule, like the rest of the players and supporters it seems on a lot of rules... you can actually bounce the ball as many times as you want, sort of ;) another crazy rule
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on July 28, 2022, 09:57:17 AM

Plucked from the sky. Shoulder to shoulder obviously allowed for in the rule book, anything after isn't covered / mentioned

It probably looked worse than it was, two lads shouldering you 'legally' in fairness I'd have stopped play as it did at the time look like their heads collided and given an indirect free for whoever was in possession..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2022, 10:27:00 AM

Yes
Rule 2.7a

A ref that may not know that rule, like the rest of the players and supporters it seems on a lot of rules... you can actually bounce the ball as many times as you want, sort of ;) another crazy rule

You can basketball dribble the ball isn't that right. At an U11 match last night the ref blew a lad for 2 bounces - he palmed the ball down in front of himself and collected it, took 4 steps and bounced it and he blew him up. Thought it was harsh.

I suppose the kick out one is similar to hurling where if you miss the puck out you can pull it on the ground.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2022, 10:29:07 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 28, 2022, 09:57:17 AM

It probably looked worse than it was, two lads shouldering you 'legally' in fairness I'd have stopped play as it did at the time look like their heads collided and given an indirect free for whoever was in possession..

I was surprised the Galway player wasn't forced off for a concussion check as I thought it looked like a head to head clash and he was down for a good while.

Watching it I thought the exact same re indirect free as opposed to free.

With all the stuff going on in rugby I  think the GAA could be doing better with the concussion stuff. Progress has been made but there's still room for improvement I feel.

screenexile

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on July 28, 2022, 10:56:07 AM

Yes
Rule 2.7a

You can basketball dribble the ball isn't that right. At an U11 match last night the ref blew a lad for 2 bounces - he palmed the ball down in front of himself and collected it, took 4 steps and bounced it and he blew him up. Thought it was harsh.

I suppose the kick out one is similar to hurling where if you miss the puck out you can pull it on the ground.

My understanding of that one was you're allowed to bounce the ball to get control of it. Once you have control of the ball you're only allowed one bounce.

If you bounce the ball on a wet and it scoots away from you you're definitely allowed to bounce it back into your hand.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on July 28, 2022, 10:56:07 AM

Yes
Rule 2.7a

Yeah thats unfair to call that one, again this is why we have different views during the game, collecting the ball and bouncing it, is one collecting it again is another, if he were to lose possession and palmed it then it doesnt count, must ref's will blow ..

The kick out one yes similar but I'm not sure after the initial striking of the missed puck out can he hit it again after striking on the ground... See its a minefield

Screen, if he's not in control of the ball, he can bounce/palm it as much as he wants till getting control

general_lee

I genuinely don't know this so perhaps one of the refs could clarify: is the advantage rule just for attacking forwards? And if not is it at the refs discretion? Or should it always be given when it's clear there is an advantage.

Scenario: ball played in long with the game in the balance, full back of chasing team catches it, no defensive mark called by ref, fullback wouldn't have called it anyway as he'd acres of space to launch a counter attack, forward lazily fouls as full back breaks away. No advantage given when it was clear there was one to be given...  instead ref blows to bring it back for a free out, full back was well on his way down the pitch, verbal remonstration and subsequent hopball given on 21m line (Other team win hop ball and get an easy point)

marty34

Can a free taker out the field use a kicking tee or is that just for the goalie's kick-outs?

Rossfan

Rule 5.40 says Ref can apply advantage following an aggressive foul if a scoring opportunity or some other advantage seems on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2022, 11:30:04 AM
Rule 5.40 says Ref can apply advantage following an aggressive foul if a scoring opportunity or some other advantage seems on.

Hard to play an advantage when you're on your hole.

Maybe a black card or two would make potential perpetrators think twice.