Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on August 28, 2018, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 28, 2018, 10:28:19 AM
It seems like Rochford resigned because he was left with no other option, he had stated last week that he wanted to stay and then was given 2 weeks to finalise a backroom team, unrealistic

There is a whole lot of propaganda going on in the county, so you need to know where the information is coming from and what that person gains from that news being out there.
I spoke to Noel Connelly a couple of weeks back, he told me the players didn't want Rochford but that they couldn't go against another manager and that McEntee would go for the job but not against Rochford. Who knows how much of that is true, how much of it is spin from he CB and how much of it is sour grapes against the players that ousted him. Any of those are a believable and understandable.

Its a mess

Personally I think Rochford did a great job, he got no credit within the county. I think especially in Ballina he was vilified for the Clarke thing and not playing Regan, the daggers were out for him locally. I also think his time was up. We were at a stage this summer when he had no players on the bench that he trusted to bring on in a scorching day in Newbridge. Not beating Galway eventually left us with too many injuries. But we had probably our best year ever as supporters in 2017

Read the bit in bold and then the bit in italics

I thought the exact thing when I read it. Isn't Noel Connelly the county chairman's brother. The same chairman whose board has pushed Rochford out, and has been leaking stuff all over the place. Primarily through an anonymous twitter account.

I should add, I know one of the Mayo players very well. Haven't spoken to him since this has happened, but he has only ever had great things to say about Rochford and the setup in general. Players were definitely for him staying. Mayo county board seems toxic. Don't know why any manager would want to go in there.

Captain Obvious

we had probably our best year ever as supporters in 2017
What made it the best ever year for supporters? Mayo reaching and losing All Ireland final was nothing new.  Was a summer that Mayo lost to Galway and that lost meant a lot of unnecessary games around the country that would have cost supporters a lot of money I can imagine. Fell over the line against a poor Derry team at home, required extra time to beat a poor Cork team, needed a replay to beat Roscommon and it took a replay to get past Kerry. Was it the latter? as that was Mayo first championship win against Kerry since the 90s I believe.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 28, 2018, 03:17:05 PM
What made it the best ever year for supporters? Mayo reaching and losing All Ireland final was nothing new.  Was a summer that Mayo lost to Galway and that lost meant a lot of unnecessary games around the country that would have cost supporters a lot of money I can imagine. Fell over the line against a poor Derry team at home, required extra time to beat a poor Cork team, needed a replay to beat Roscommon and it took a replay to get past Kerry. Was it the latter? as that was Mayo first championship win against Kerry since the 90s I believe.

If the man said that he had his best year ever as a supporter in 2017, can you not just take his word for it ?

Tubberman

It was a rollercoaster of a summer.
Near disaster - Galway, Derry, Cork, Roscommon.
Big days on the road when there was a massive sense of 'in it together' - Ennis, Limerick, Croker x 5.
Big high points - Loftus goal v Derry, the craic in Ennis, hammering Ros in replay, beating Kerry after Rochford took dog's abuse, the display v Dublin (apart from 1st min and last couple of mins).
There was massive craic, massive pride and massive memories - believe it or not, it really isn't all about the winning.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

larryin89

I'd agree with tubberman there re17 , from a supporters angle it was the greatest year I can ever remember . When loftus burst the net v Derry , I'll never forget that feeling ,McHale park roar was like one of old , it was wonderful to be part of that.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

highorlow

QuoteWhen loftus burst the net v Derry , I'll never forget that feeling ,McHale park roar was like one of old

+1 on that. You have to be there for those moments.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

rosnarun

Quote from: Tubberman on August 28, 2018, 03:38:56 PM

Big days on the road when there was a massive sense of 'in it together' - Ennis, Limerick, Croker x 5.
Big high points - Loftus goal v Derry, the craic in Ennis, hammering Ros in replay, beating Kerry after Rochford took dog's abuse, the display v Dublin (apart from 1st min and last couple of mins).
There was massive craic, massive pride and massive memories - believe it or not, it really isn't all about the winning.
well said Tubberman weve had better braic the last few year than many an All Ireland winning team .
the only danger now is infighting start and knocks the the whole thing on the head
I don't think the County board wanted rid od Stephen but they wanted control at the same time.
the important thing now is get a manager in (anyone but JmcG) and build it up again
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 28, 2018, 03:33:33 PM

If the man said that he had his best year ever as a supporter in 2017, can you not just take his word for it ?
I'll take his word for it but I would like to hear in more detail why he thought that.

Now here is a bit more detail but you have ruined it all by saying it isn't all about the winning, sure if defeat had happened against Derry,Cork,Roscommon or Kerry you would have a very different view now with less memories,craic and pride.

rosnarun

Quote from: highorlow on August 28, 2018, 03:55:30 PM
QuoteWhen loftus burst the net v Derry , I'll never forget that feeling ,McHale park roar was like one of old

and Andy in the FBD in Kiltoom

Tubberman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 28, 2018, 03:58:21 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on August 28, 2018, 03:33:33 PM

I'll take his word for it but I would like to hear in more detail why he thought that.

Now here is a bit more detail but you have ruined it all by saying it isn't all about the winning, sure if defeat had happened against Derry,Cork,Roscommon or Kerry you would have a very different view now with less memories,craic and pride.

But defeat didn't happen against Derry,Cork,Roscommon or Kerry, so that added to it - that's the whole point I was making!
It was a crazy summer, the only thing that could have topped it was winning the whole thing and we came damn close. It was sickening to lose it, but it doesn't mean the rest of the summer didn't happen.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on August 28, 2018, 03:59:14 PM

It's unintentionally telling that proved to be a highlight of Rochford's reign.

cjx

Quote from: trileacman on August 28, 2018, 01:59:51 PM
Quite a few lads forgetting that jimmy is the only county manager to defeat the Dubs in the last 5 years so it's a bit cheap to disregard his tactical nous as being stale. He even done so with a average enough Donegal squad.

To advocate Horan over Jim is wrong, there is clearly one cv which is much more impressive.

Not so
Mayo lost 2AI by bizarre misfortune (& that puts cold machine Dublin
the media invention into perspective )
Mayo's record of achievement as compared to Donegal is far better
Jimmy should stick to dull boring soccer
Suits him best

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on August 28, 2018, 04:19:26 PM

Don't flatter yourself lad, it was funny that's all , players got a laugh out of it ,Mayo  supporters got a laugh out of it. A small section of ros supporters went bizzerk one of whom tried to get into mayo dressing room to tell Andy something .bizzare
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on August 28, 2018, 05:47:45 PM

Don't flatter yourself lad, it was funny that's all , players got a laugh out of it ,Mayo  supporters got a laugh out of it. A small section of ros supporters went bizzerk one of whom tried to get into mayo dressing room to tell Andy something .bizzare

Dry yer eyes.

rosnarun

Quote from: Syferus on August 28, 2018, 05:48:53 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 28, 2018, 05:47:45 PM

It’s unintentionally telling that proved to be a highlight of Rochford’s reign.

Dry yer eyes.
from tears of laughter  and tears of Joy