Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Who's moaning??? Donegal won fairnand square and deserved to win. No decision tilted the game,

All im saying is in spite of him being a wonderful person for what he did for his friend, as a commentator, I think he's a pr1ck of the highest order

imtommygunn

I think the man has got a bit carried away with himself on tv to be honest. He appears to think he's of superior intelligence to the other pundits and undermines them like their opinions don't matter. I would guess hs is more intelligent but that makes his opinions no more valid than anyone else and he needs to realise this. He has also went a bit far on mayo as this thread illustrates it. I thought there was an element of sinister ness to his referee rant too though to be honest I thought the ref gave mayo plenty bar the free before the second goal.

All that being said the man does so much for charity and what he's done here have to be commended as remarkable acts of human kindness.

So as some have said - as a Tv pundit he's a gobshite but outside that he's clearly a very good hearted man.

So joe if you're reading how about bringing some of that into your punditry rather than being patronising and constantly winding up for the sake of winding up?? give us something insightful like you're capable of...

Hardy

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 11, 2012, 08:21:57 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 11, 2012, 08:05:40 PM
Quote from: Canalman on October 10, 2012, 05:26:29 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 10, 2012, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: Armamike on October 10, 2012, 02:05:42 PM
It's important to have a bit of perspective in life. Yes the likes of Brolly and Spillane can annoy with comments on individuals and teams but at the end of the day it's only talk, and they're there to stir things up and entertain.  People should try and cast their minds back to early punditry and it was fairly dull stuff, no one wanting to cause offence to anyone.  Anyone who takes some of their more outlandish comments seriously need to develop a thicker skin imo.  Think back to August time and those Donegal eejits who attacked Spillane in the street - what awful crime did Spillane commit to warrant that?
What Joe Brolly has done is just unbelievable and says all we need to know about his character and downright decency. That's the stuff that really counts. Anyone who has a chip on their shoulder about a perceived wrongdoing against their county need to catch themselves on.

I used to be of that opinion. But Brolly clearly went on national radio the Wednesday before the AI final and labeled Mayo as a tactically fouling team as well as saying there was an onus on the referee to sort this out. This was not an idle comment or as you say 'only talk'. It would have been 'only talk' had he said it on the day of the game. This clearly had a bearing psychologically with the referee and his decision making on the game.
Have to laugh at this (sorry FTB) but this imo is exactly what the Mayo set up did before the AISF this year with its "observations"  on the referee made before that game. What's good for the goose  is ........etc.
Anyway wish JB all the best. Always liked him and thought that he is/was one of the very few pundits/ journos that was fair to Dublin over the years and who didn't engage in the  gleeful grave dancing like the others.
Quote from: Canalman on October 10, 2012, 05:26:29 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 10, 2012, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: Armamike on October 10, 2012, 02:05:42 PM
It's important to have a bit of perspective in life. Yes the likes of Brolly and Spillane can annoy with comments on individuals and teams but at the end of the day it's only talk, and they're there to stir things up and entertain.  People should try and cast their minds back to early punditry and it was fairly dull stuff, no one wanting to cause offence to anyone.  Anyone who takes some of their more outlandish comments seriously need to develop a thicker skin imo.  Think back to August time and those Donegal eejits who attacked Spillane in the street - what awful crime did Spillane commit to warrant that?
What Joe Brolly has done is just unbelievable and says all we need to know about his character and downright decency. That's the stuff that really counts. Anyone who has a chip on their shoulder about a perceived wrongdoing against their county need to catch themselves on.

I used to be of that opinion. But Brolly clearly went on national radio the Wednesday before the AI final and labeled Mayo as a tactically fouling team as well as saying there was an onus on the referee to sort this out. This was not an idle comment or as you say 'only talk'. It would have been 'only talk' had he said it on the day of the game. This clearly had a bearing psychologically with the referee and his decision making on the game.
Have to laugh at this (sorry FTB) but this imo is exactly what the Mayo set up did before the AISF this year with its "observations"  on the referee made before that game. What's good for the goose  is ........etc.
Anyway wish JB all the best. Always liked him and thought that he is/was one of the very few pundits/ journos that was fair to Dublin over the years and who didn't engage in the  gleeful grave dancing like the others.

In all fairness the last time that ref, reffef a Mayo match he gave 3 blatant game changing decisions against Mayo-even Pat Spillane said he was a disgrace after the game. Tack on the fact that he gave the Dubs, more than a few questionable calls the prior year, I think Horan was dead right to make the comments he did. It's one thing for a manager to say it, it's another thing for Brolly to do it a few days before the final. Given his post match rant against Mayo, I think it's quite clear now what his agenda was

+1 (Nail on the head)

So a manager comments in public about a referee in advance of a game and this is a legitimate and acceptable attempt to influence the referee. A pundit, whose job it is to comment on the game, including the standard of refereeing, comments in public about a referee in advance of a game and this is unacceptable.

Have I got that right? It's hard to keep up with the unwritten rules of how we're allowed to comment on Mayo.

whitey

Hardy, all due respect, he did more than comment on the standard of refereeing.

Reading his post match comments give me all the context I need to understand what he was trying to accomplish with his pre match comments.

If you think it within a pundits remit to attempt to influence a referee before a game, that's an opinion you're absolutely entitled to. It's one I respectfully disagree with.

Hardy

Fair enough, Whitey, but my point was not about the propriety of comments from pundits or managers, but about your suggestion that it was acceptable for the manager to comment, but not for the pundit.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: whitey on October 11, 2012, 08:38:19 PM
Who's moaning??? Donegal won fairnand square and deserved to win. No decision tilted the game,

All im saying is in spite of him being a wonderful person for what he did for his friend, as a commentator, I think he's a pr1ck of the highest order
Amen to all that, especially your closing sentiment.

Some years ago, Monaghan appeared in an Ulster final. (Can't recall the year.)
Tommy Freeman was injured in the lead up to the game and lined out with a heavily bandaged hand. Apparently, the damage was self-inflicted. Freeman, who is a roofer, had discharged a Hilti nail  and drove it through this hand.
Brolly saw something funny in this and kept on making sarcastic references to Freeman's ability as a  roofer and as a marksman throughout the game.
"Monaghan people have been known to shoot themselves in the foot but here's a twist, the man who shot himself in the hand is opting to take this free. " was just one of his witty observations and there were loads more.
No one else in the commentary studio saw anything funny in what was going on out on the field or in Brolly's witticisms either. Nobody responded to his sarcastic observations  and rightly so.
I had very little  time for the man coming up to the game and none whatever since.
Last year he had a right go at Donegal for their negative spoiling approach to the game and this year it was Mayo's turn. God alone knows who the gobshite will turn his attention to next year.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Maroon Heaven

devastated to hear transplant has not been successful.

Tubberman

God, that's awful news.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

glens abu

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Ah no. That'd break your heart.

Lar Naparka

It is shocking news. I feel desperately for both men involved. With luck, Mr Finnegan will be able to lead a full life in spite of this drawback and I wish Joe all the best also.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RMDrive

Sad news. It's a good reminder to talk to our loved ones about organ donation so peoples wishes are clear to everyone.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...