Are the pre-championship games increasing in intensity and importance

Started by An Laoch, January 24, 2007, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Laoch

Is it just the increased media coverage with more live matches or are the O'Byrne /McKenna Cups etc more competitive now than they have been at any other time? Also are the National League games played with more intensity in the last 2 or 3 years than previously? If so is this down to a general increase in the speed and physicality of the sport as a whole or are the counties just taking these games more seriously.

Personally I think the 'ah sure it's just a league game' attitude has been on the wane over the last 3 years or so.

ziggysego

Counties are taking the competitions more serious now. As for the Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup and the O'Byrne, well it's a good competition to blood new players and the crowds appear to be more eager to see their teams these days. Again as you say, probably down to the increase in media attention.
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Quote from: An Laoch on January 24, 2007, 06:35:30 PM

Personally I think the 'ah sure it's just a league game' attitude has been on the wane over the last 3 years or so.
I hope Dublin belive that, we've haven't bet a team  outside Leinster in the championship since 2002 . The league is where we should be testing ourself against the big boys
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

youbetterbelieveit

ever since the league was changed to after the new year, it has risen in importance as it now runs into championship, and it can be utilised with getting players competitive games before championship.

realredhandfan

I believe Mcikey Hartes attitude to competitiveness has been passed down to even the lesser mortals of the managerial world. 
No friendlies - all out wars.