Referees Course

Started by Blacksheep, January 22, 2007, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlimShady

Quote from: Derry Daisy on January 23, 2007, 12:07:38 PM
A lot of the Derry refs refused to do the fitness test a couple of years back, not sure what way things are now but these so called referees still got c'ship matches.

do you really think come Championship time when selecting a Ref the board are going to say, no, we cant give him that game- he wasnt at the fitness test!?? and give it to a less experienced ref? no, not a chance.

aontroim abu

HEAR HEAR!!
This would be one way to improve the standard as you might invite a some new blood in.  ;D

Derry Daisy

Why have a fitness test in the first place then? When in derry's case it doesn't really matter if he can run out of your road or not he'll still get doing a match!!

Derry refs get free entry into all league and c'ship matches, does this not happen everywhere?

aontroim abu

supposed to happen in Antrim last year for the first time ever - but never materialised

SlimShady

No, it doesnt happen everywhere. Not Antrim anyhow as the guy doing the gate thinks everyone is taking the piss out of him!

i'm not saying there shouldn't be a fitness test but if there is one then it should be mandatory that everyone takes it or get them out to feck, of course there is always this rule about ''oh they mean it this year, if you dont do it you wont get games'' which always turns out to be bollocks. It would all be solved if more people were interested in becoming referees and the current initiative of 'young whistlers' is a great invention!

Derry Daisy

I think you's should get Mickey Convery into Antrim to sort you's out, he seems to have done well with the derry referees last year, only downfall for him he's a bellaghy man  :-\

SlimShady

lame attempt at a dig at Max there Daisy!

Derry also have this young whistlers course on the go, following in our footsteps.

playwiththewind1st

There's supposed to be a fitness coach going to the Antrim Referees' meeting in Ballymena on Feb 18th to tell you what stage your fitness should be at this time of year & laying out a training programme.

It'll be like the Ibrox fecking disaster as all the refs try to get out the door before he starts his talk.

Bacon

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 23, 2007, 10:44:29 AM
Slag all yez want. Most of you haven't the balls to even try to referee & the fitness tests would kill you. It's easy to sit on some website slagging people off, bit harder when you're out in the middle.
Bit of a sense of humour bye-pass there playwiththewind!  Lecale's fitness test was one of the funniest posts I've read in a while. All the funnier when you know who he is!!  ;)
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Rois

Quote from: SlimShady on January 23, 2007, 12:32:00 PM

Derry also have this young whistlers course on the go, following in our footsteps.

When did you start the young referees course?

Guillem2

Quote from: Lecale2 on January 22, 2007, 05:01:29 PM
Here a copy of the latest fitness test

Referees fitness test

Whistle blowing. Short sharp blasts and long whistles will both be tested. Additional points awarded for style during this test.

Finger pointing. 4 quick forward jabs of the right index finger. Followed by one 30 second extended up wards point.

Brandishing red and yellow cards. Any referee who cannot tell the difference between red and yellow will fail. Additional points awarded for style.

Fatness test. The referee will be tested wearing an extra large O'Neill's referee's jersey. Points are deducted for any signs of slack in the jersey.

Counting. Referees will be asked to mark a booklet every time the examiner shouts point and add up the total correctly at the end of the exercise. A margin of error of plus or minus 5 is acceptable.

Shaking belly from side to side while pretending to run. This test continues throughout the full 15 minutes of the test.

Eyesight test. This no longer forms part of the referee's fitness test.

There's a fair few refs in Antrim wouldn't even pass this fitness test!!  :D :D
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

aontroim abu

now now, or else we'll have to start on the Down refs

Blacksheep

Is this real!! Could I turn up with no knowledge of the rules, 20 st over-weight and still pass. I could then get a senior championship match 8 weeks later. Surely not!!
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Gabriel_Hurl

I have done the foundation level course.

The written test - you are required to get 90 or 95% in order to pass it. As regards the fitness test - I have the guidebook at home and i'll hoke it out and tell you the requirements for the 3 levels of refereeing

Gabriel_Hurl

Club Level Referee

1. 2,300m run - minimum time - 12 mins

2. 45m sprint - minimum time - 7.5 secs

3. 200m sprint - minimum time - 37 secs

4. 20m backwards sprint - mimimum time - 7.5 secs

5. 4 x 13m shuttle run - minimum time - 14 secs

Provincial / National  Level Referee

1. 3,200m run - minimum time - 15 mins 30 secs

2. 45m sprint - minimum time - 7.5 secs

3. 200m sprint - minimum time - 35 secs

4. 20m backwards sprint - mimimum time - 7.5 secs