Nicest Towns in Ireland

Started by AZOffaly, April 18, 2018, 09:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on April 19, 2018, 11:11:06 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 19, 2018, 10:10:50 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 19, 2018, 06:43:06 PM
Ballycastle, Co. Mayo. Beach, cliffs, archaeology, birdwatching, walking, whalewatching and a wonderful café at the bottom of the hill.

Not many jobs up there unfortunately though. A friend of mine living in killala has a young son (~10) who plays with Naomh Eoin (or Pádraig)? Anyway, it's an underage amalgamation of 3-4 clubs, doesn't bode well for those clubs in north Mayo

Ah yeah. There are no jobs there. Secondary school closed down 20 yrs ago as well. When you take kids out of a town, you take the soul out of a community. Garda station, I suspect, is gone too. The football clubs are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Ballycastle had Tom Langan on the Team of the Millennium. Unreal to see his portrait on the wall in their tiny dressing rooms. They also had a player on the 36 AI team. The whole of rural North Mayo is football heartland but with depopulation it is very difficult to keep the show on the road. Amalgamations the only way but that is never without issues as well.
The area is spectacular though. Anytime I'm ever around Downpatrick Head (I try to visit regularly to do same bird pics.), there are always numbers of people there. One time a lad was running a mobile chipper there.
As regards tourism, I think there are people locally looking at ways to get people to stay around North Mayo for a few days.

Yeah, have brought a few people up around there and they've been amazed that they'd never heard anything about the area beforehand, it's a beautiful part of the country

trileacman

Ballycastle, Co. Mayo. Beach, cliffs, archaeology, birdwatching, walking, whalewatching and a wonderful café at the bottom of the hill.

Not many jobs up there unfortunately though. A friend of mine living in killala has a young son (~10) who plays with Naomh Eoin (or Pádraig)? Anyway, it's an underage amalgamation of 3-4 clubs, doesn't bode well for those clubs in north Mayo

Ah yeah. There are no jobs there. Secondary school closed down 20 yrs ago as well. When you take kids out of a town, you take the soul out of a community. Garda station, I suspect, is gone too. The football clubs are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Ballycastle had Tom Langan on the Team of the Millennium. Unreal to see his portrait on the wall in their tiny dressing rooms. They also had a player on the 36 AI team. The whole of rural North Mayo is football heartland but with depopulation it is very difficult to keep the show on the road. Amalgamations the only way but that is never without issues as well.
The area is spectacular though. Anytime I'm ever around Downpatrick Head (I try to visit regularly to do same bird pics.), there are always numbers of people there. One time a lad was running a mobile chipper there.
As regards tourism, I think there are people locally looking at ways to get people to stay around North Mayo for a few days.

What do you do about that though? You cant force them to stay.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

gallsman

Quote from: trileacman on April 19, 2018, 10:13:04 PM
I love wandering around Howth peninsula, probably rich and full of pretentious w**kers but it's a lovely place of a good day. Never rated Dun Laoghire as highly though I've always liked Killiney.

Dun Laoghaire itself is an absolute kip.

moysider

Quote from: trileacman on April 19, 2018, 11:18:31 PM

I meant the kids were bussed out and educated elsewhere because the local school was considered inefficient due to falling numbers. Schools in Mayo have been educating kids for migration/emigration forever. It's nice for a rural town to have them about for a while though. Once the school shut the tumbleweed effect kicked in.

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on April 19, 2018, 11:28:38 PM
Quote from: trileacman on April 19, 2018, 11:18:31 PM

I meant the kids were bussed out and educated elsewhere because the local school was considered inefficient due to falling numbers. Schools in Mayo have been educating kids for migration/emigration forever. It's nice for a rural town to have them about for a while though. Once the school shut the tumbleweed effect kicked in.
Did the school.close after Asahi left?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

illdecide

When you called someone a "Black Bastid" it was because they kicked with the other foot (Protestant) and it did come from the Royal Black Institution and had nothing to do with ones skin colour...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Courttown Harbour is a lovely we spot in Wexford

gallsman

Quote from: illdecide on April 20, 2018, 09:49:51 AM
and had nothing to do with ones skin colour...

Nobody was suggesting it had.

illdecide

rosnarun

Quote from: illdecide on April 20, 2018, 09:49:51 AM
When you called someone a "Black Bastid" it was because they kicked with the other foot (Protestant) and it did come from the Royal Black Institution and had nothing to do with ones skin colour...

yeah some peole love to play the race card at every opputunity . makes them feel good about them selves as being morally superior to the rest of us .

its a good decent sectarian remark and cant we leave it at that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Avondhu star

They say that Naas is an awful place
Abbeyleix is just as bad
Longford town would get you down
but f**k me Kinnegad
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

ONeill

The historic old town of Moygashel is absolutely gorgeous and has been the centre of cultural life in Tyrone since the 1800s . Just put on your walking shoes (it's mainly cobbled streets) and go exploring. The town was untouched by the Troubles, a beacon of neutrality, and is now on the UNESCO Heritage list. If you enter from the south you'll see Linen Green, one of the world's leading designer shopping villages. Stroll through the old town and you'll find lots of interesting murals, the Independent Methodist Church, and in the centre of the square you'll find the Cloth Hall monument, commemorating the town's rich linen history. The centre is surrounded by rows of terrorist houses with lots of fields and hedges. Linen Green sells everything from food to souvenirs and local crafts.

Moygashel is clean, has a peaceful atmosphere, and appeared very safe for walking around. No cars are allowed in the centre though there are taxis within a few miles.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on April 20, 2018, 07:25:09 PM
The historic old town of Moygashel is absolutely gorgeous and has been the centre of cultural life in Tyrone since the 1800s . Just put on your walking shoes (it's mainly cobbled streets) and go exploring. The town was untouched by the Troubles, a beacon of neutrality, and is now on the UNESCO Heritage list. If you enter from the south you'll see Linen Green, one of the world's leading designer shopping villages. Stroll through the old town and you'll find lots of interesting murals, the Independent Methodist Church, and in the centre of the square you'll find the Cloth Hall monument, commemorating the town's rich linen history. The centre is surrounded by rows of terrorist houses with lots of fields and hedges. Linen Green sells everything from food to souvenirs and local crafts.

Moygashel is clean, has a peaceful atmosphere, and appeared very safe for walking around. No cars are allowed in the centre though there are taxis within a few miles.
"The centre of cultural life in Tyrone " may be a pejorative term.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bannside

Classic O Neill. Nicest town in Ireland......"surrounded by terrorist houses" lol. Biggest laugh I've had in  while!!!

Though nice area to be fair.

maggie

Again more of a village than a town but Strangford Co Down is lovely.