Ulster 25

Started by 5 Sams, May 29, 2009, 11:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer93

PB is a full forward.

Schkite

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 29, 2009, 04:42:57 PM
PB is a full forward.

:D You know what I mean! Just saying I think winning no All-Ireland will go against the likes of Nudie and Bradley.

nrico2006

Scullion
McKeever
McGeeney
Tohill
Linden
Canavan
Dooher
Oisin
Blaney

Sean Cavanagh has to be a certainty aswell.  What is it now?  4 All-Star awards and counting.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Zulu

I'm surprised SON isn't being mentioned, the best current footballer by a country mile in Ireland IMO (when fit) and a better footballer than every forward I've seen in Ulster bar Canavan and possibly Linden.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 29, 2009, 04:22:41 PM
Has there been any real stand out goal keepers? Usually one of the hardest position to fill in a greats team.

An argument could be made for Brian McAlinden. However I would pick either Sean McGreevy (Antrim) or James Reilly (Cavan).

Impossible to do without a shortlist, so here goes.

Antrim.  Sean McGreevy, Alex McQuillan.
Armagh. McAlinden, John Corvan, Martin McQuillan, McGeeney, McGrane, McDonnell, Clarke. (no McConville)
Cavan. James Reilly, McCabe, Jim Reilly
Derry. McKeever, Scullion, H. Downey, Tohill, Bradley, Muldoon, Doherty
Donegal. M.McHugh, T. Boyle
Down. Blaney, Linden, G. McCartan, J McCartan, Breen
Fermanagh. McGinnity, Owens, Marty McGrath
Tyrone. McKenna, F. McGuigan, P. Canavan, P. Jordan, S. Cavanagh, B. Dooher, B. McGuigan, S. O'Neill

37 bodies - I'll whittle her down later.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

T Fearon

How can Oisin be left out? He is far and away the all time  Ulster record Championship scorer? Made a far greater contribution over a far longer period than John Corvan who was largely a huge talent unfulfilled and never made any impact whatsoever on important Armagh games like the Ulster MFC Final of 1977 the NFL Finals of 1983 and 1985, or the Ulster Final of 1984 when Mc Guigan stole his thunder big time.  ???

saffron sam2

Quote from: T Fearon on June 02, 2009, 12:24:11 PM
How can Oisin be left out? He is far and away the all time  Ulster record Championship scorer? Made a far greater contribution over a far longer period than John Corvan who was largely a huge talent unfulfilled and never made any impact whatsoever on important Armagh games like the Ulster MFC Final of 1977 the NFL Finals of 1983 and 1985, or the Ulster Final of 1984 when Mc Guigan stole his thunder big time.  ???

Because, in my opinion (and leaving aside Corvan), McDonnell, Clarke, Bradley, Muldoon, M.McHugh, T. Boyle, Blaney, Linden, J McCartan, F. McGuigan, P. Canavan, S. Cavanagh, B. Dooher, B. McGuigan and  S. O'Neill were / are better options.

All McConville really did was hit frees and sure Canavan will do that on my team.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

eireogatron

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 02, 2009, 12:31:53 PM

All McConville really did was hit frees and sure Canavan will do that on my team.

what??? go back to sleep.

Tim Buzaglo

Agreed SS2, he wouldn't get in my team ahead of any of the players you named.  -

Certs for me

McKeever
Scullion
McGeeney
Tohill
Cavanagh
Blaney
McHugh
Linden
Canavan
Will we ever see another one?

rrhf

Mc Hugh achieved much as did a number of others, but did ny of them make the same impact as say Conor Gormley over the years. 
I think Sean Cavanagh will finish his career as the greatest all round footballer the game has ever seen. 

nrico2006

Agreed Saffron Sam.  I would have big Finbar in there for nets. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

eireogatron

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 02, 2009, 01:36:11 PM
Agreed Saffron Sam.  I would have big Finbar in there for nets. 

possibly the shout of the week. big hoor that he was lol!

peterquaife

Michael McVeigh

Kieran McKeever
Matt Gallagher
Tony Scullion

Kieran McGeeny
Henry Downey
Philip Jordan

Paul McGrane
Anthony Tohill

Enda Muldoon
Martin McHugh
Gregg Blaney

Paddy Bradley
Peter Canavan
Steven ONeil

nrico2006

Finbar McConnell

Kieran McKeever
Francie Bellew
Ryan McMenamin

Kieran McGeeny
Henry Downey
Philip Jordan

Greg McCartan
Anthony Tohill

Brian Dooher
Enda Muldoon
Mickey Linden

Paddy Bradley
Peter Canavan
Steven O' Neill

cadhlancian

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 29, 2009, 11:15:11 AM
Here goes. Same criteria as the other threads on Leinster and Connacht.

Your best 15 Ulster players from the last 25 years. (Roughly in their own positions.)

Mine are:

1.  Mickey McVeigh
2.  Tony Scullion
3.  Barry Owens
4. Kieran McKeever
5. Henry Downey
6. Kieran McGeeney
7. DJ Kane
8. Anthony Tohill
9. Paul McGrane
10. Brian McGuigan
11. Greg Blaney
12. James McCartan
13. Mickey Linden
14. Peter Canavan
15. Steven McDonnell

of course 5 sams what should we expect, Down 2 allirelands in the last 25 years = 5 players!
            Tyrone 3 All irelands, one final and 3 semifinals in the last 25 years = 2 players ::)