Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

north_antrim_hound

Hogan was reacting for sure and there was full intent, I would be disappointed with the likes of Cody,Henry and Tyrell last night. Cody is famous for saying it's a mans game to justify the physical intensity his teams bring but that was pure thuggery. He was bleeding (Hogan)but as far as I can see he set out to rough Barret up a bit, Barret set him straight and got away with it, Hogan boy reacted less cutely and didn't. Cahal Barret might have discipline issues away from the pitch but on it he always hurls the ball.
Enda McEvoy put the best this morning "it didn't effect the outcome just the margin"

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Minder

Eoin Larkin reckons nobody deserves to be sent off on All Ireland final day, well probably just Benny Dunne in '09
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnnycool

Quote from: Minder on August 19, 2019, 10:29:31 AM
Eoin Larkin reckons nobody deserves to be sent off on All Ireland final day, well probably just Benny Dunne in '09

What planet are these lads on?

Are Munster finals and Leinster finals also to be exempt?

What about Gerry Quinn taking a go at Henry in an AI semi-final replay, that's probably OK now as well?

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on August 19, 2019, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: Minder on August 19, 2019, 10:29:31 AM

What planet are these lads on?

Are Munster finals and Leinster finals also to be exempt?

What about Gerry Quinn taking a go at Henry in an AI semi-final replay, that's probably OK now as well?

This is a Kilkenny trope .

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/eddie-keher-s-ideas-have-kick-started-a-debate-on-the-future-of-the-game-1.1687946
"A curious focus in Eddie Keher's document – which Kilkenny manager Brian Cody praised as "making an awful lot of sense" – which he submitted to the GAA is on red and yellow cards, described in the submission as "totally at variance with the ethos, physicality and manliness of the game of hurling"

Hurling was never a cynical game," he writes, "but it is now starting to become one due to the unjust penalties imposed for fouls by players full of honest endeavour. With the introduction of all these restrictions and penalties and now the proposed introduction of 'black cards' for hurlers the players are appearing to be treated and regarded as the 'bad guys' of our games."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2014/0217/504912-keher/
"Speaking on RTÉ Radio's Today with Sean O'Rourke, Keher outlined his frustration about what he calls the needless rituals of showing cards.
He said: "I never agreed with use of cards. They were introduced in 1970 in the soccer World Cup which was a wise decision because of the language barrier.
"It enabled referees to communicate better with the players of various countries.
"I abhor the whole ritual of showing cards to our hurlers.  It's a pompous and triumphalist exercise causing humiliation to our great players in front of their families, friends and supporters."

But sending other players off is fine
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

playwiththewind1st

So basically championship matches should be like the fabled Kilkenny training session matches then. No real need for referees in inter-County hurling games. I think Eddie played a fairly long time ago & it shows.

Rudi

I find it irritating commentators, pundits, journalists referring to John O Dwyer as bubbles. Bubbles this and bubbles that, feck off, shower of eggits.

GaillimhIarthair

A well merited win for Tipp in the end.  They looked the most likely winners the longer the 1st half progressed, albeit after a poor enough start.  The sending off only increased the winning margin and the most surprising aspect of the 2nd half was how poorly KK coped being a man down - raining balls down on that Tipp FB line was desperation stuff at best.

Richie Hogan cant have too many complaints - it was a stonewall Red card.  Barrett should have picked up a yellow a little earlier also.

seafoid

It's a pity that it is all over in the middle of August
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thejuice

I thought it was a fair shoulder (at least it would have been before we had high definition tv and cameras everywhere!)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

gallsman

Quote from: Rudi on August 19, 2019, 01:44:54 PM
I find it irritating commentators, pundits, journalists referring to John O Dwyer as bubbles. Bubbles this and bubbles that, feck off, shower of eggits.

I have no problem when they use nicknames as long as they don't combine both the nickname and full name.

John O'Dwyer - fine
Bubbles O'Dwyer - fine
John Bubbles O'Dwyer - gtfo.

It was the same with Cha Fitzpatrick before he chucked it in.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: thejuice on August 19, 2019, 04:41:34 PM
I thought it was a fair shoulder (at least it would have been before we had high definition tv and cameras everywhere!)

Isn't it good to have hi def TV and cameras or the referee would have been slaughtered by the press and public today
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on August 19, 2019, 05:08:27 PM
Quote from: Rudi on August 19, 2019, 01:44:54 PM

I have no problem when they use nicknames as long as they don't combine both the nickname and full name.

John O'Dwyer - fine
Bubbles O'Dwyer - fine
John Bubbles O'Dwyer - gtfo.

It was the same with Cha Fitzpatrick before he chucked it in.

Marty Fckn Morrissey to blame
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Saint 1963

Does anyone have an opinion about Hawkeye and the point awarded to Kilkenny yesterday? Why does the caption used to award the score not show the position of the ball in relation to to crossbar at the point where Hogan actually caught the sliothar? With all the cameras at the game, isn't it strange not to have one positioned along the end line where everyone could see whether or not the point was scored!