Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

The Iceman

Quote from: bennydorano on May 29, 2018, 03:34:17 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 29, 2018, 01:05:48 PM
reading through the last couple of pages its easy to see this was more about anti-church sentiment for many than any win for "progress" or "women's rights"
nobody won on the yes side. There is no victory in abortion. I read this in the telegraph over the weekend and thought it a very succinct point:
QuoteWhen there is a school shooting in America there are two responses - those who want to ban guns and those who want to arm everyone. Most here are appalled at the idea that more guns is the solution.
The idea that easier abortion is the solution to crisis pregnancy is just as appalling.

I talked to a good friend of mine from Armagh up in NY a couple of weekends back. He had a conversion in his late 20s and is now a missionary priest. He said Ireland was going through a purification. I hope he is right. I don't know if people get the magnitude of this vote or even care. God have mercy on us all
Interesting that 2 people from Armagh I went to school with & played football with have both chosen this path. Was it MD or DN or a 3rd Armaghian that I'm unaware of?
MD Benny. Spent half a day with him on the 12th of May. Stayed in touch after I left and when he went in to seminary, was lovely to see him. I know DN very well too before and after he joined the priesthood
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

seafoid

Another No stalwart who sickened me was Rónán Mullen. He kept repeating that the amendment was loving and caring. FFS
The wording was left deliberately vague. When Savita Halappanavar developed complications the doctors were afraid to break the law. The dead woman with the hole in her head was kept going on life support because of Article 8.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on May 29, 2018, 05:14:20 PM
Another No stalwart who sickened me was Rónán Mullen. He kept repeating that the amendment was loving and caring. FFS
The wording was left deliberately vague. When Savita Halappanavar developed complications the doctors were afraid to break the law. The dead woman with the hole in her head was kept going on life support because of Article 8.

Mullen literally said on national television last week that "mental health has no evidence base". I hadn't took much notice of him but he shouldn't be an elected official in any capacity with those sorts of fringe, regressive opinions.

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on May 29, 2018, 05:23:11 PM

Mullen literally said on national television last week that "mental health has no evidence base". I hadn't took much notice of him but he shouldn't be an elected official in any capacity with those sorts of fringe, regressive opinions.

Theres a good religous affairs show on MidWest radio on Sunday Mornings.....replayed after Michael Commins Show on Sunday night.  Its co-hosted by a very practical middle of the road no nonsense priest Fr Brendan Hoban.  They were discussing the margin of loss on last Sundays show and Fr Brendan said that the people who were representing the views of the Catholic Church for the No campaign, held views that were very much outside of the mainstream. He also felt their extremist positions turned many undecideds into Yes voters

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on May 29, 2018, 05:23:11 PM

He's very sinister under a facade of loving and caring

sid waddell

Rossfan

If you're elected by the electorate you're elected no matter how obnoxious  people might find you're opinions.
Also is Syfīn to be the arbiter of who can or can't be elected.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2018, 06:40:15 PM
If you're elected by the electorate you're elected no matter how obnoxious  people might find you're opinions.

Is that buck actually elected by anyone, or is he an appointee to the Seanad?

Syferus

It would take you to go to bat for Ronan fûcking Mullen. More important to get a shot at me than to criticise a man with abhorant views, right?

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2018, 06:46:38 PM

University voters.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

I think a lot of people would share Syf's view on him.
And is there anywan in the Dail that is such a gobshite? I think he is out on his own.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on May 29, 2018, 08:06:19 PM
I think a lot of people would share Syf's view on him.
And is there anywan in the Dail that is such a gobshite? I think he is out on his own.

Mattie McGrath. Both Healy-Raes.

seafoid

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2018, 06:46:38 PM

He has the biggest mandate of any of the Senators as it happens.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_University_of_Ireland_(constituency)#2016_election

armaghniac

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 29, 2018, 01:50:52 PM
Re the point in the Telegraph, there are plenty of common sense proposals for gun controls put forward in America in the aftermath of school shootings, which don't involve blanket bans - background checks, ban on high capacity magazines, bio locks on guns - and guess what? The NRA opposes them all.

There have been plenty of common sense proposals to deal with crisis pregnancies over the years - more and better non-religious sex education, easier availability for contraception, the morning after pill etc - of which the current legislation is just one more example. And guess what? The No side does what the No sides does - it says No.

Having abortion available does not make it compulsory. The No campaigners would be far better employed looking at these other solutions and joining with the Yes side to make their availability a deal breaker.

We didn't vote for abortion, we voted for the choice. If the other services mentioned above make abortion less necessary, than you would have 100% of the population behind you.

I'm not sure who exactly opposed easier availability for contraception, the morning after pill etc, but even if they did they would presumably be in a minority. Yet, somehow, none of these things were done, in order to create more demand for abortion on demand.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B