Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dolph1 on May 29, 2018, 06:13:44 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2018, 11:15:44 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/catholics-who-voted-yes-should-consider-confession-says-bishop-1.3511127

Any catholic who voted yes really should not darken the door of the church again but  the hypocritical nature of the irish public will make them oblivious of what they are doing. I'll guarantee you that all these young ladies backing the yes campaign will demand their weddings in the church.

I did find it bewildering that there were yes campaigners crying  with happiness regarding the outcome of the vote. Tears of joy due to being granted the opportunity to murder your baby is a pretty sick state of mind. The new ireland is fast becoming a haven for slogan following, politically correct sheep.

You have absolutely no clue what's going on.

sid waddell

Hi Dolph, are you an alter ego of Declan Ganley?

You sound like him!

Itchy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/catholics-who-voted-yes-should-consider-confession-says-bishop-1.3511127

Any catholic who voted yes really should not darken the door of the church again but  the hypocritical nature of the irish public will make them oblivious of what they are doing. I'll guarantee you that all these young ladies backing the yes campaign will demand their weddings in the church.

I did find it bewildering that there were yes campaigners crying  with happiness regarding the outcome of the vote. Tears of joy due to being granted the opportunity to murder your baby is a pretty sick state of mind. The new ireland is fast becoming a haven for slogan following, politically correct sheep.

You are dead right. Thats why people should stop wasting their time going to church, kick the church out of school and if they want to believe in God they should speak directly to the man/woman and cut out the pricks in the middle.

longballin

Yis are finished Father. The end of child rape, women abuse, control. Thank God

sid waddell

Quote from: longballin on May 29, 2018, 09:38:09 AM

Yis are finished Father. The end of child rape, women abuse, control. Thank God
Now, now - get with the programme - if you don't blindly follow the rigid fundamentalist dogma of a bunch of sky fairy-believing old men who have never had sex in their lives and yet who demand control of women's wombs, you're engaging in "groupthink" and are a "politically correct sheep" or something.  ;D

sid waddell

JoG2

Quote from: Itchy on May 29, 2018, 09:23:13 AM

You are dead right. Thats why people should stop wasting their time going to church, kick the church out of school and if they want to believe in God they should speak directly to the man/woman and cut out the pricks in the middle.

"In Catholic school as vicious as Roman rule
I got my knuckles bruised by a lady in black
And I held my tongue as she told me Son,
Fear is the heart of love, so I never went back"

seafoid

I can't believe McGuirk said he wouldn't tolerate abortion in case of rape.
It is no wonder he lost. 

Here's Binchy vs Robinson from 1983
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLWnoQjTNiw

Robinson was Labour's woman President in 1990

When FF came around to nominating a woman to be President they chose McAleese.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISOhms5jboM

but abortion won't be a rallying cry for FF any more
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Iceman

reading through the last couple of pages its easy to see this was more about anti-church sentiment for many than any win for "progress" or "women's rights"
nobody won on the yes side. There is no victory in abortion. I read this in the telegraph over the weekend and thought it a very succinct point:
QuoteWhen there is a school shooting in America there are two responses - those who want to ban guns and those who want to arm everyone. Most here are appalled at the idea that more guns is the solution.
The idea that easier abortion is the solution to crisis pregnancy is just as appalling.

I talked to a good friend of mine from Armagh up in NY a couple of weekends back. He had a conversion in his late 20s and is now a missionary priest. He said Ireland was going through a purification. I hope he is right. I don't know if people get the magnitude of this vote or even care. God have mercy on us all
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

easytiger95

Quote from: The Iceman on May 29, 2018, 01:05:48 PM
reading through the last couple of pages its easy to see this was more about anti-church sentiment for many than any win for "progress" or "women's rights"
nobody won on the yes side. There is no victory in abortion. I read this in the telegraph over the weekend and thought it a very succinct point:
QuoteWhen there is a school shooting in America there are two responses - those who want to ban guns and those who want to arm everyone. Most here are appalled at the idea that more guns is the solution.
The idea that easier abortion is the solution to crisis pregnancy is just as appalling.

I talked to a good friend of mine from Armagh up in NY a couple of weekends back. He had a conversion in his late 20s and is now a missionary priest. He said Ireland was going through a purification. I hope he is right. I don't know if people get the magnitude of this vote or even care. God have mercy on us all

Re the point in the Telegraph, there are plenty of common sense proposals for gun controls put forward in America in the aftermath of school shootings, which don't involve blanket bans - background checks, ban on high capacity magazines, bio locks on guns - and guess what? The NRA opposes them all.

There have been plenty of common sense proposals to deal with crisis pregnancies over the years - more and better non-religious sex education, easier availability for contraception, the morning after pill etc - of which the current legislation is just one more example. And guess what? The No side does what the No sides does - it says No.

Having abortion available does not make it compulsory. The No campaigners would be far better employed looking at these other solutions and joining with the Yes side to make their availability a deal breaker.

We didn't vote for abortion, we voted for the choice. If the other services mentioned above make abortion less necessary, than you would have 100% of the population behind you.

Itchy

Aye, Ireland is purifying itselfs of the shackles of the Catholic Church alright and that battle has a way to go. People who rape kids, cover up and protect people who rape kids etc have no business in the schools of Ireland. However, I think you have totally missed the point - I dont know of anyone, and I mean that, that said they were voting Yes to give a dig to the church.

Syferus

Lol. We get it far more than you clearly do.

bennydorano

Interesting that 2 people from Armagh I went to school with & played football with have both chosen this path. Was it MD or DN or a 3rd Armaghian that I'm unaware of?

magpie seanie

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 29, 2018, 01:50:52 PM

Re the point in the Telegraph, there are plenty of common sense proposals for gun controls put forward in America in the aftermath of school shootings, which don't involve blanket bans - background checks, ban on high capacity magazines, bio locks on guns - and guess what? The NRA opposes them all.

There have been plenty of common sense proposals to deal with crisis pregnancies over the years - more and better non-religious sex education, easier availability for contraception, the morning after pill etc - of which the current legislation is just one more example. And guess what? The No side does what the No sides does - it says No.

Having abortion available does not make it compulsory. The No campaigners would be far better employed looking at these other solutions and joining with the Yes side to make their availability a deal breaker.

We didn't vote for abortion, we voted for the choice. If the other services mentioned above make abortion less necessary, than you would have 100% of the population behind you.

Excellent post Easytiger. This has been explained many, many times yet it seems impossible for some to grasp.

Billys Boots

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 29, 2018, 03:43:15 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on May 29, 2018, 01:50:52 PM

Excellent post Easytiger. This has been explained many, many times yet it seems impossible for some to grasp.

People hear what they want to hear, Seanie. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...