FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: themac_23 on October 17, 2018, 10:29:05 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2018, 10:39:53 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 16, 2018, 10:28:23 PM
Only the most committed will traipse to the Aviva from now on.

Else they will just hand out more free tickets to the schools creating a financial problem.

Either way the FAI are in a serious pile of shit............but Delaney will put fingers in his ears going LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

Currently they can only play with what they have and it's shit..

What plans have the FAI put in place for youth set up and development? They should save the money wasted on the senior team and plough it into a workable achievable system that brings about improvement.

Think that's what Iceland done a good few years ago, say down and made youth football and player development their main focus and not the senior side. They went through a right few years where the senior team were pretty much just keeping the jerseys warm for the next generation, seems the past few years this has come to prove fruitful. Suppose the thing is would Irish soccer fans accept this sort of plan? I think most of us know the answer to that is no
The alternative is more mediocrity indefinitely. Both Limerick and Galway hurlers took the mol an oige approach in recent years and it does get results.
The culture of sloppiness is very hard to shift otherwise
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lurganblue

Christie in midfield ffs. Conor Hourihane may as well call time on his international aspirations until MON leaves.

Captain Scarlet

Wales had youngsters on the filed and lads playing in the Championship and still looked like a more seasoned professional outfit.
FFS I know they are not Champions League players but there are plenty of Premier League lads there who don't just hoof into Row Z every time.
Duffy, Long and Clark can play it five yards forward at club level IF a midfielder shows for them.
Then Christie in a totally unfamiliar position while actual midfielders are on the bench.
Playing smaller lads up front knowing they won't get it into feet.

Countries with players playing at lower levels can do it.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

imtommygunn

Main problem was central midfield. Hendrick wasn't good, Arter is a headless chicken and Christie isn't fantastic but to be fair to him he's not a central midfielder.

Cunny Funt

I read elsewhere that since Ireland beat Austria in November, 2016, they've won two competitive games out of 11. Gibraltar have won two in the past week.

Itchy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 17, 2018, 03:47:53 PM
I read elsewhere that since Ireland beat Austria in November, 2016, they've won two competitive games out of 11. Gibraltar have won two in the past week.

Hardly relevant as they were playing Lichtenstein and Armenia. We were playing two decent teams. No need to sensationalise it any more than it already is.

red hander

Was at both games, and while I didn't think Saturday's performance was as bad as made out, last night was. MON has definitely lost the bulk of fans and I'd say he's on borrowed time. His team selections and set-up are baffling at times. Who to replace him? My choice would be Hughton, but that won't happen. Wenger's available... but that won't happen. Allardyce? I wouldn't want that chancer about the place. Stephen Kenny? I wouldn't be averse to that.

An Watcher

Always a big fan of O'Neill but with recent performances I'm not so sure.  Is he behind the times in comparison to young up and coming managers?  In fairness to him though the result over in Cardiff when they won 1-0 was fantastic but it seems like a million years ago now.

I've heard Stephen Kenny's name mentioned a few times and it takes me back to Brian Kerr getting his shot at it from the LoI.  I like Kenny and in the absence of any other good candidate maybe he wouldn't be a bad choice.  Big Sam would be available but probably would be just more of the same.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Itchy on October 17, 2018, 04:31:08 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 17, 2018, 03:47:53 PM

Hardly relevant as they were playing Lichtenstein and Armenia. We were playing two decent teams. No need to sensationalise it any more than it already is.

That Wales team last night were awful - I couldn't believe how bad they were. How many balls did they pass to Ireland under no pressure? They were most definitely not decent. Denmark half decent yes but not Wales. Currently you would be looking at those level of teams challenging us - definitely with that setup.

red hander

Quote from: An Watcher on October 17, 2018, 05:17:02 PM
Always a big fan of O'Neill but with recent performances I'm not so sure.  Is he behind the times in comparison to young up and coming managers?  In fairness to him though the result over in Cardiff when they won 1-0 was fantastic but it seems like a million years ago now.

I've heard Stephen Kenny's name mentioned a few times and it takes me back to Brian Kerr getting his shot at it from the LoI.  I like Kenny and in the absence of any other good candidate maybe he wouldn't be a bad choice.  Big Sam would be available but probably would be just more of the same.

Know what you mean. I was happy when Kerr got it, but he just always seemed reluctant to take a chance in games and proved more conservative for Ireland than he ever was with his underage squads or in LoI, which cost us. I have to laugh at him these days cos he was uber-critical of Trap and now O'Neill, slagging them off for the very same things he was guilty of manys a time. If Kenny was given a chance - and the players got behind him, no looking down their noses cos of where he's come from (which affected Kerr a little, according to reports) - then there's hope.

snoopdog

Quote from: red hander on October 17, 2018, 05:53:41 PM

Know what you mean. I was happy when Kerr got it, but he just always seemed reluctant to take a chance in games and proved more conservative for Ireland than he ever was with his underage squads or in LoI, which cost us. I have to laugh at him these days cos he was uber-critical of Trap and now O'Neill, slagging them off for the very same things he was guilty of manys a time. If Kenny was given a chance - and the players got behind him, no looking down their noses cos of where he's come from (which affected Kerr a little, according to reports) - then there's hope.
Hope? But there are no quality players. And i.would fear kenny wouldnt get respect from the players for the reason you say.

macdanger2

Quote from: snoopdog on October 17, 2018, 07:39:47 PM
Quote from: red hander on October 17, 2018, 05:53:41 PM

Hope? But there are no quality players. And i.would fear kenny wouldnt get respect from the players for the reason you say.

He might have a better chance of getting respect since a good whack of the current squad have played LoI. Would love to see him getting a shot and being given time

rodney trotter

McClean played under Kenny when he was Derry City manager and rates him. Plenty of ex Loi players around the squad so hardly an issue. Some players played under him at Dundalk like Horgan and Richie Towell.

seafoid

Surely the problem is the system rather than the manager. Cuir geansai na h Eireann ar an gabhar ach is gabhar I gconai e.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/john-delaney-s-dilemma-is-it-the-manager-or-is-it-the-players-1.3667064

The new plan for developing players, one everybody is agreed is key to the future of the senior team, is based around underage national leagues run at under-15, -17 and -19 levels, with an under-13 competition to start in March.
The FAI puts the existing cost of the first three at €1.4 million, of which Uefa stumps up €825,000. In March of this year the FAI made much of the fact it was coming up with €250,000. Its contribution previously has not been made public but seems, from other figures provided, to have been just €75,000.
The association's high performance director Ruud Dokter accepted last week that, in an ideal world, the leagues would be run at under-14, -16 and -18 levels too. The current plan will involve some players alternating from season to season between League of Ireland and schoolboy clubs, which is probably not in too many international best practice manuals, but apparently the money isn't there. Ticking a lot of other boxes, you are maybe talking €2.5 million, 10 times what it is giving, but half what it has been paying in stadium debt repayments and interest.
Delaney says the Aviva Stadium will be paid for in 2020, after which the good times will roll, but the only way that the association appears to be able to meet the target is to front-load sponsorship payments stretching well into the 2020s, so the sorts of increases in investments being made all over Europe are still many years away.
In the meantime, our national team is still based on the old system: around a third of the 27 players this week had left for England by the age of 17 or so, and only a handful had played serious game-time at senior level here before departing.
There is, then, just our declining place in the sprawling English system to produce new talent until things get properly up and running, so perhaps we should not hold our breaths. If patience does run out, however, we can always sack the manager.

seafoid

Ominous

Northern Ireland
✔  @NorthernIreland 

🎥 Does a defeat stop the #GAWA? No. 👏🏼 #GAWA