Portrush gets the Open

Started by stew, October 21, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2019, 11:21:22 AM
Quote from: screenexile on July 25, 2019, 10:32:51 AM
Ryder Cup 2026. . . when are the tickets out??!!

Why are the cabinet involved in this? Are we as a country going to dole out yet more money to rich people?

You do understand they have to pay for this and provide infrastructure etc? You do understand how these big events work? Formua 1, Olympics, European Cups, World Cups etc.

thewobbler

The adare bypass might be the best thing to come out of this

An Watcher

Yes but the money it brings in as a result of hosting these events is crazy too

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on July 25, 2019, 11:01:40 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 24, 2019, 08:05:46 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 24, 2019, 07:24:40 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2019, 11:30:46 AM
I've played RCD a half dozen times. Never found them anything but civilised.

Well to be fair the inncident that I saw was a one off as we hadn't an issue the rest of the day. The good thing with golf in Ireland is it seems to be pretty accessible to most people, whereas England seems to be more elitist. Though we do have some clubs who have members who are full of shit.
Is here really any different though. We have green fees from 20 quid to 200 quid and the upper option isn't "accessible to most people". I'd wager Scotland and England are no different but I'd say you are right that the golf club w**ker is likely to be more prevalent in England.

Golf in Ireland is more accessible than anywhere in the world. You might baulk at a £200 green fee, but you will pay 50-100% more than that for any course on the Open rota (St Andrews excepted) and the majority of these courses really don't want you unless you fit the profile. Other famous courses in England and Scotland will require a fancy handshake or a £400 fee before they'll admit you.

Head to America, and the majority of highly ranked courses are completely private, to members, guests and people of influence.

There are attempts to make Ireland like this. Adare Manor being the latest to price anyone "normal" out of the market. Hogs Head is trying to be exclusive like an American course. Old Head makes no bones about its target market. Others like K Club and Killeen Castle simply had to adapt to the market and be played for a fraction of their projected exclusive club price nowadays.

We have it pretty good in Ireland, we really do.
Challenge accepted! £ prices below for summer play. Apart from (Trump Turnberry) most are in the ~£200 - £250 bracket.

Portrush      220
Muirfield      270
Turnberry    325
St. Andrews 190
Carnoustie   210
Troon          250
Lytham        200
Hoylake       200
St. Georges 230
Birkdale       265

magpie seanie

Quote from: trailer on July 25, 2019, 11:57:07 AM

Why are the cabinet involved in this? Are we as a country going to dole out yet more money to rich people?

You do understand they have to pay for this and provide infrastructure etc? You do understand how these big events work? Formua 1, Olympics, European Cups, World Cups etc.

There are people in this country without a roof over their head and we're going to shell out to help a billionaire (who made a lot of money driving our country further into the shit in the 80's) promote his venue and ego? Absolutely I understand how these things work. And it f**king stinks.

trailer

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2019, 04:13:28 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 25, 2019, 11:57:07 AM

There are people in this country without a roof over their head and we're going to shell out to help a billionaire (who made a lot of money driving our country further into the shit in the 80's) promote his venue and ego? Absolutely I understand how these things work. And it f**king stinks.

Well the idea is that this will generate money. I've never been to limerick mostly because I fear being stabbed but I might go to this. In fact, if the good Lord spares me, I will go.

thewobbler

I'm not sure JP will never live long enough to see a financial return from this venture. But yes it will be good for his ego.

Shamrock Shore

I hate this shite. Some gobshite minister was on earlier saying how wonderful this was for rural Ireland and how it will affect people for generations to come.

Eff off!

armaghniac

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 25, 2019, 10:37:18 PM
I hate this shite. Some gobshite minister was on earlier saying how wonderful this was for rural Ireland and how it will affect people for generations to come.

Eff off!

Romantic encounters at the 19th could affect people for generations to come.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Eff off!
That will stop depopulation in North Riscommon, North Leitrim, North West Mayo etc etc .
F off is right.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on July 26, 2019, 12:05:23 AM

Eff off!
That will stop depopulation in North Riscommon, North Leitrim, North West Mayo etc etc .
F off is right.

yous can caddy for golf tourists.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Eff off!

Yes exactly. Keep your tourism and your money. We'd much rather be poor and miserable!!

Rudi

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2019, 09:39:35 AM

Eff off!

Yes exactly. Keep your tourism and your money. We'd much rather be poor and miserable!!

Thats not what he said, put your own lefty spin on it anyway  ::)

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Rudi on July 26, 2019, 09:57:06 AM

Eff off!

Exactly. I am not against the few bob coming in. I am against the shoneenism being display by Brendan Griffin and the over-egging of a jasesing golf game between squillionaires that most people in this clown's beloved rural Ireland couldn't give 2 fucks about.

trailer

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 26, 2019, 10:09:42 AM
Quote from: Rudi on July 26, 2019, 09:57:06 AM

Eff off!

Exactly. I am not against the few bob coming in. I am against the shoneenism being display by Brendan Griffin and the over-egging of a jasesing golf game between squillionaires that most people in this clown's beloved rural Ireland couldn't give 2 f**ks about.

Yet working class Ireland will fawn over Celtic, Liverpool and Manchester United and there's never a word about it. Funny how some people see things.