Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on September 12, 2018, 11:03:54 AM
Dublin used to fill Croke Park regularly, attendances are falling across the board, including Dublin. It can't be denied. Just look at Dublin attendances when they've played championship games outside Croke Park! Was it 17,000, 14,000 and this year 12,000?

Them figures have to be lies. Sure the Dubs have the best travelling support in the country. Portlaoise could not be used as a venue recently as it was not big enough to hold the Huge Dublin support!

BennyCake

Tyrone, after coming through the qualifiers, played 4 big games in 5 weekends. Then a final after that. There's a hell of a lot of families who couldn't keep up with that sort of thing.

Ticket prices are far too high. Forget the quality of football. For a lot of people, it come down to money.

Jinxy

The more games there are, the less important they seem.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thewobbler

Quote from: Jinxy on September 12, 2018, 05:22:07 PM
The more games there are, the less important they seem.

I'd agree.

A combination of that and high ticket prices is never a good recipe. It's too easy to find alternative ways to spend a hefty chunk of disposable income on a full day out.

But following a team all summer, with the underlying knowledge that ultimately - even if they're flying - Dublin will make wee boys out off them at some stage, makes it unpalatable.

Even more so when Dublin will happily play keep ball for minutes at a time.

Football is fooked imho.

sid waddell

It doesn't say much for the strength of or supposed devotion to the GAA in other counties that after eight seasons where Dublin have been successful, the default reaction of people in other counties is to simply give up.

Makes you think Roddy Doyle might well have been correct when he said that GAA was just something people were interested in when there was no Premier League.

And that Dublin is in fact the truest GAA county of the lot.

thewobbler

Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2018, 05:30:27 PM
It doesn't say much for the strength of or supposed devotion to the GAA in other counties that after eight seasons where Dublin have been successful, the default reaction of people in other counties is to simply give up.

Makes you think Roddy Doyle might well have been correct when he said that GAA was just something people were interested in when there was no Premier League.

And that Dublin is in fact the truest GAA county of the lot.

Check attendance figures for the Kerry golden years.

Then check attendances from 1990-2010, when there were a handful of potential winners.

Then get you head around the face that this isn't anti-Dublin.

Attendances in GAA are directly related to competitiveness.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on September 12, 2018, 05:18:31 PM
Tyrone, after coming through the qualifiers, played 4 big games in 5 weekends. Then a final after that. There's a hell of a lot of families who couldn't keep up with that sort of thing.

Ticket prices are far too high. Forget the quality of football. For a lot of people, it come down to money.

This was the gig for Mayo families the last couple of years! Huge time and expense! But still we kept coming back and back. So what do the GAA do? They decide to add the Super 8 (i.e. two extra games) to the Championship to squeeze the last drop out of us. It was great that the Goose that was laying the golden egg over the last couple of years collapsed before the Super 8's this year. Served the f***ers right!

Weekly treks to Croke Park while the Dublin supporters had games on their doorstep. There was no asking them to go outside the pale to air their wares!

Home games all the way!

Anyway looks like Dublin will have the game all to itself anymore! Enjoy!

Meanwhile I'm looking at spending my money on guaranteed entertaining weekends with the Family.

twohands!!!

Was having a look at some of the attendances for the games this weekend - doesn't look like the price increases did all that did much in terms of keeping people away.

Mayo v Roscommon 10,941
Galway v Cavan over 8,000 was the best I could find ( this was a double-header with the hurlers )[no smart comments about Galway Gaa's inability to track attendance accurately, please]
Monaghan v Dublin 10,556
Kerry v Tyrone 12,921

Assuming 8,000 even for the Galway v Cavan game that comes to a total of 42,418 for the 4 Division 1 games (plus Galway v Laois in the hurling) which seems a decent figure, especially given the weather conditions.

Rossfan

Tipp's hurley stuff game brought 8,217.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 27, 2019, 08:15:16 PM
Was having a look at some of the attendances for the games this weekend - doesn't look like the price increases did all that did much in terms of keeping people away.

Mayo v Roscommon 10,941
Galway v Cavan over 8,000 was the best I could find ( this was a double-header with the hurlers )[no smart comments about Galway Gaa's inability to track attendance accurately, please]
Monaghan v Dublin 10,556
Kerry v Tyrone 12,921

Assuming 8,000 even for the Galway v Cavan game that comes to a total of 42,418 for the 4 Division 1 games (plus Galway v Laois in the hurling) which seems a decent figure, especially given the weather conditions.

I'm sure the crowd Kildare v Armagh was coming up on those figures.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 27, 2019, 08:15:16 PM

Mayo v Roscommon 10,941
Monaghan v Dublin 10,556
Kerry v Tyrone 12,921

8,000+ in Salthill. They announced it but I only heard the eight thousand part properly. Was a double header though but there definitely wasn't many there from Laois for the hurling.

illdecide

I was looking at the prices for Armagh's game v Clare on Sunday...£14 if you purchase now but £19 on the day, that's a disgrace. Usually it's on the day that I decide to go as I normally go out cycling on a Sunday morning so depending on the time i get back usually determines if i have time to go to the match but i'll have to pay £19 for a league game...That's too much of a hike, that surely will have an impact on attendances?

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

Quote from: illdecide on January 30, 2019, 09:10:30 AM
I was looking at the prices for Armagh's game v Clare on Sunday...£14 if you purchase now but £19 on the day, that's a disgrace. Usually it's on the day that I decide to go as I normally go out cycling on a Sunday morning so depending on the time i get back usually determines if i have time to go to the match but i'll have to pay £19 for a league game...That's too much of a hike, that surely will have an impact on attendances?

Why the need for a difference in price on the day and pre booking?

rosnarun

Quote from: lurganblue on January 30, 2019, 10:18:54 AM

i'm sure if you don't like the discount you don'tt have to take it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

armaghniac

Quote from: lurganblue on January 30, 2019, 10:18:54 AM

classic economics. Why do you get cheaper flights if you book in advance? The loyal supporter who is going to go rain, hail or shine gets a discount if they buy during the week, but you get the full whack from the fickle supporter. A lot of people couldn't care less about the €5 but you provide a means of avoiding i for anyone for whom it is important.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B