All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2013, 01:06:47 AM
This year will see 12 years since Sam headed West. Should we merge a few of those counties together?

Ah sure we're not as weak as Ulster colleges, no need to merge up just yet.  :-X

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on January 05, 2013, 01:22:15 AM
This year will see 12 years since Sam headed West. Should we merge a few of those counties together?

Ah sure we're not as weak as Ulster colleges, no need to merge up just yet.  :-X

;D    ;)     :'(

sans pessimism

Yawn
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ONeill

Seriously though. It's a bit of a joke now. Since the great Galway side half a century ago, the West's record has been a bit like the land. The odd spark of life (Kiltimagh = Joyce 98/01) but mostly barren, cold, dark and useless.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

sans pessimism

Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2013, 11:34:47 AM
Seriously though. It's a bit of a joke now. Since the great Galway side half a century ago, the West's record has been a bit like the land. The odd spark of life (Kiltimagh = Joyce 98/01) but mostly barren, cold, dark and useless.
O Neill and serious....naaay,can never see that takin off
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Walter Cronc

Out of interest when was the last time a Connacht school won the A Colleges Hurling title?? Jarlaths record of late isn't the best either. Is this because of fewer boarders?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: sans pessimism on January 05, 2013, 11:48:42 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 05, 2013, 11:41:22 AM

Out of interest when was the last time a Connacht school won the A Colleges Hurling title?? Jarlaths record of late isn't the best either. Is this because of fewer boarders?
Hmm,I vaguely remember hurling being played there-the great
Galway midfielder Michael Coleman being its most famous son...but All-Ireland titles???
Football my son FOOTBALL!

Perhaps I didn't word that right. It was 2 seperate questions, one regarding the hurling and the other about Jarlaths. I know a great Coleman's side beat Jarlaths a couple of years ago in the Hogan final.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 05, 2013, 11:52:38 AM

Galway midfielder Michael Coleman being its most famous son...but All-Ireland titles???

Perhaps I didn't word that right. It was 2 seperate questions, one regarding the hurling and the other about Jarlaths. I know a great Coleman's side beat Jarlaths a couple of years ago in the Hogan final.
Jarlaths still have most titles (12)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Walter Cronc

Quote from: sans pessimism on January 05, 2013, 12:13:40 PM

I know that, what I'm asking is, what is the reason for their recent decline?

sans pessimism

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 05, 2013, 12:20:24 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on January 05, 2013, 12:13:40 PM

I know that, what I'm asking is, what is the reason for their recent decline?
The economy, osterity,girls,drink, fags,-How did the all-ireland
thread turn into this....blame O Neill
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

GalwayBayBoy

Galway doesn't really have one big hurling school like Flannan's in Clare or Kieran's in Kilkenny. Most of the hurling schools in Galway are smaller vocational schools so Galway tend to be very strong at vocational schools level where they beat Kilkenny in the All-Ireland final last year and did 4 in a row in the 90's and 3 in a row in the early 00's.

Jarlath's are not quite the powerhouse they once were without borders but they are still pretty strong. They really should have beaten Colman's in the Hogan Cup final 2 years ago and they lost in the semis last year to the eventual winners again. Even with the boarders it's not like Jarlath's were winning it every year.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 05, 2013, 01:05:56 PM

Galway doesn't really have one big hurling school like Flannan's in Clare or Kieran's in Kilkenny. Most of the hurling schools in Galway are smaller vocational schools so Galway tend to be very strong at vocational schools level where they beat Kilkenny in the All-Ireland final last year and did 4 in a row in the 90's and 3 in a row in the early 00's.

Jarlath's are not quite the powerhouse they once were without borders but they are still pretty strong. They really should have beaten Colman's in the Hogan Cup final 2 years ago and they lost in the semis last year to the eventual winners again. Even with the boarders it's not like Jarlath's were winning it every year.

Cheers GBB. Thanks for clearing that up!

Orchardman

Quote from: INDIANA on January 04, 2013, 11:11:42 PM
Quote from: cadence on January 04, 2013, 09:37:02 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 04, 2013, 08:33:46 PM
Quote from: cadence on January 04, 2013, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 04, 2013, 08:00:21 PM
Mayo have a Connacht draw full of opportunities for the train to derail and teams more than capable on their days to do just that. It's a no win situation for Mayo next year in those games while for everyone else it's a chance to beat the AI finalists. Mayo have been impressive but history says only the very best teams from the west emerge as Connacht three years running - the last time Mayo did it was in 1950 as part of a four-in-a-row from '48-51 - and Mayo's record in the qualifers is poor. I think

Mayo reaching the AIQF stage by either door will be a statement that should worry whoever their opponent are.

reckon this mayo team don't pay much mind to history.

here's me thinking this  donegal team haven't beaten dublin yet.

thats right they haven't.

got confused for a moment,

we'd have done you, even the dogs in the street know that.

But when you had your chance to beat us in 2011 you couldn't

In Fact I reckon Sir Jimmy said a few Ava Maria's when Mayo fell over the line. We'd have gone in as reigning All-Ireland champions as underdogs into a final.

Really Donegal for me have to beat us in the championship to claim being the best in the country.

2011 is long gone and dublin have 1 all ireland in over 15 years.
Cork beat dublin on the way to winning the sam in 2010, and dublin havn't beat them in champo since, why? there lies the answer to your statement. Surely then dublins 2011 win is devalued as the didnt beat the champs. Or maybe ur comment is just tongue in cheek which would make a lot more sense

cadence

Quote from: INDIANA on January 04, 2013, 11:11:42 PM
Quote from: cadence on January 04, 2013, 09:37:02 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 04, 2013, 08:33:46 PM
Quote from: cadence on January 04, 2013, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 04, 2013, 08:00:21 PM
Mayo have a Connacht draw full of opportunities for the train to derail and teams more than capable on their days to do just that. It's a no win situation for Mayo next year in those games while for everyone else it's a chance to beat the AI finalists. Mayo have been impressive but history says only the very best teams from the west emerge as Connacht three years running - the last time Mayo did it was in 1950 as part of a four-in-a-row from '48-51 - and Mayo's record in the qualifers is poor. I think

Mayo reaching the AIQF stage by either door will be a statement that should worry whoever their opponent are.

reckon this mayo team don't pay much mind to history.

here's me thinking this  donegal team haven't beaten dublin yet.

thats right they haven't.

got confused for a moment,

we'd have done you, even the dogs in the street know that.

But when you had your chance to beat us in 2011 you couldn't

In Fact I reckon Sir Jimmy said a few Ava Maria's when Mayo fell over the line. We'd have gone in as reigning All-Ireland champions as underdogs into a final.

Really Donegal for me have to beat us in the championship to claim being the best in the country.

In Fact I reckon you're clutching at straws. In Fact, I reckon you haven't addressed the fact that dublin weren't good enough.

ck

Plenty of slagging as per usual about the poor oul wesht. Much as it pains me I think Mayo will take Sam home this year. Their rise last year has been underestimated.