Pat Critchley - Living legend

Started by redsetanta, January 24, 2020, 09:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Was looking for the colleges gaa thread but in fairness in needs a thread of its own.

What an achievement by Pat with IT Carlow on top of the basketball. He is a living legend and we should be very proud to have him. His achievements as both a player and manager are second to none in the county. He has done immense work for gaa in Laois. The man should have a street named after him in Portlaoise or a statue in the square. He would probably hate it being the humble man that he is. He must be the greatest sporting person to come from Laois.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Zooming around

Quote from: redsetanta on January 24, 2020, 09:51:34 AM
Was looking for the colleges gaa thread but in fairness in needs a thread of its own.

What an achievement by Pat with IT Carlow on top of the basketball. He is a living legend and we should be very proud to have him. His achievements as both a player and manager are second to none in the county. He has done immense work for gaa in Laois. The man should have a street named after him in Portlaoise or a statue in the square. He would probably hate it being the humble man that he is. He must be the greatest sporting person to come from Laois.

Great hurler, footballer, coach, Musician, Storyteller, Joke Teller, company and Craic amongst many other things.

Giovanni

Couldn't have put it better. And despite everything he's done in Laois GAA, he's still down paying his EUR 15 like everyone else to get into OMP. To be honest, I don't think we've ever appreciated properly his coaching talents. I can't remember any team that he didn't improve subsantially.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Giovanni on January 24, 2020, 10:31:56 AM

Couldn't have put it better. And despite everything he's done in Laois GAA, he's still down paying his EUR 15 like everyone else to get into OMP. To be honest, I don't think we've ever appreciated properly his coaching talents. I can't remember any team that he didn't improve subsantially.
true legend.

Such a pity he was shafted by our county board in 1995 to get that bollox Keating in.Classic Laois GAA move.

clonadmad

Can anyone throw a number on the amount of teams he's coached to Leinster and all Ireland's down through the years,club and schools/colleges and across all the sporting disciplines?,

BallyroanAbu

Don't know Pat well, but truly one of Laois's greats. His list of achievements is unreal.  Best of luck in Sigerson Final.

clonadmad

Quote from: portlaoisekid on January 24, 2020, 11:15:10 AM
Quote from: Giovanni on January 24, 2020, 10:31:56 AM

true legend.

Such a pity he was shafted by our county board in 1995 to get that bollox Keating in.Classic Laois GAA move.

Plus his Setanta program let wither and die by the county board as well

Blow-in

Not sure I'd be fully blame the Laois CB for the Setanta Prog. I think Colm brown and Ciaran muldowney were the ones who cast it to one side in the end.

redsetanta

I think I might have locked the thread somehow. Open again.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

thegreeenandgold

Scary
Quote from: Batman!!! on January 24, 2020, 09:21:37 PM
Not sure I'd be fully blame the Laois CB for the Setanta Prog. I think Colm brown and Ciaran muldowney were the ones who cast it to one side in the end.

Jesus that's dreadful why would Muldowney and Brown scrap it,  I thought Muldowney was a hurling man.

clonadmad

Quote from: Batman!!! on January 24, 2020, 09:21:37 PM

Well if they did

The CB had the final say in the decision

Zooming around

The Setanta program was definitely going in 2018 as my young lad and nephew were at it. Didn't realise it wasnt going any more

redsetanta

Finally gets his story told on Laochra Gael. Surprised it has taken so long but looking forward to watching it tomorrow night

John1

Brilliant viewing last night on a top class man. He has really had some career & life between his playing days, coaching, music & tragedies ( where he got the time & energy god knows ) & yet he continues to give what he can to the youth of today , who should appreciate the knowledge & passion this man has, 2nd to none.
He is one of life's really good guys who always related to values, what he believed and stood for & his roots/ his parents throughout , so humble through and through.  Well Done P C

From the Terrace

Quote from: John1 on March 01, 2024, 09:05:08 AMBrilliant viewing last night on a top class man. He has really had some career & life between his playing days, coaching, music & tragedies ( where he got the time & energy god knows ) & yet he continues to give what he can to the youth of today , who should appreciate the knowledge & passion this man has, 2nd to none.
He is one of life's really good guys who always related to values, what he believed and stood for & his roots/ his parents throughout , so humble through and through.  Well Done P C
Agree with all this. I know this a good while on Pat - they don't make them like him anymore. Congratulations & well deserved.