China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2020, 11:17:20 PM
By the way Sid. In case you deliberately missed it. When I described you as dealing in extremes, it is in how you label anyone querying government policy on Covid as a "Covid denier". That's extremism of the most extreme form. Basically you contort anyone raising an eyebrow to your viewpoint into being on your right, and therefore a right wing fascist murdering **** who hates people, and can only feel like this because they've been duped by some websites only you've ever heard of.

You're an extremist buddy. Property extreme.
That's quite the post

One could almost say it's extremist in its desperate attempt to play the man, not the ball

Which is quite the irony given that it's a post which tries to set you up as doing the opposite

But I guess you just couldn't help yourself and lunged in, a bit like Richarlison today

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2020, 11:41:02 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 17, 2020, 11:33:00 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2020, 11:22:42 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 17, 2020, 11:13:42 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2020, 11:05:23 PM
Sid if cases are rising all across Europe, which they are, you really should start asking yourself whether limiting crowds at outdoor venues for a sport which is only played in Ireland, is part of that pattern.
Go back to the point

You portrayed the reduction in crowd sizes as a bad faith attack on the GAA

Crowds at GAA matches as well as celebrations have contributed, and likely quite significantly, to the spread of Covid

You were simply wrong in what you said - it was not a bad faith attack on the GAA at all but one element of a good faith attempt to try and stop the spread of the virus - but your attack was an obvious bad faith character assassination on the part of those making the regulations

It is in fact the GAA which has contributed to a bad faith attack on society by continually cocking two fingers at the effort to stop the spread of the virus

An organisation which is supposed to be about community well being decided it didn't care not just about the well being of the country, but of the very local communities its supposed to represent

And, sadly, neanderthal attitudes like yours were front and centre in that

Sid I'm entirely on point.

Covid cases are rising across Europe. Everywhere. The pattern you'll find is that humans are social creatures, and will go out of their way to meet each other. The pattern you won't find is that places where attendance at outdoor sporting venues was strictly limited to 200 people, have kept it under control.

Only one of us is dealing in "it is in fact".

The other has a narrative to fulfil.
Humans are indeed social creatures, but the more close social contact there is during this pandemic, the more the virus will spread

The pattern you'll find is that the more people avoid close social contact, the less the virus has the potential to spread

That's a fact, not narrative

But what else is portraying a reduction in crowd size as "an attack on the GAA" other than a bullshit narrative

What you were engaging in was Covid NIMBYism

You should take up this point about us being social creatures with the virus itself, maybe it'll listen and make an exception where it won't spread during club GAA games and celebrations, a sort of a ceasefire, maybe a bit like those three day IRA ceasefires at Christmas back in the day

And once more I will attempt to explain this to you.

Covid is rising across Europe.

This because people have been meeting people across Europe.

Almost none (certainly I can't think of any) of these countries have coordinated community games on a level of frequency and structure as the GAA.

But you know what people do when associations don't provide facilities? They meet up anyway. In beaches, lakes, parks, pubs, restaurants, swimming pools, theme parks, shopping centres, schools, work, public buildings.

And the fucken thing spreads.

Did the GAA prevent the spread of Covid this year? No. Did it cause the spread of Covid this year, equally no.
I'm sure there must be a name for ultra-cynical debating techniques like this

That because the virus is contagious, we should therefore do nothing

Professional blurring, professional fogging, perhaps

The fact is that attitudes like yours, multiplied on a large scale, are what enable the spread

A tragedy of the commons I believe its called

Where individuals refuse to take responsibility and do everything to exercise their own personal NIMBYism

It's why humans find it so hard to fix collective problems

Because individualists like you will always find an excuse not to exercise personal responsibility

The mindset is that "ah, shure it'll spread anyway", and my individual behaviour will make no difference

But multiplied on a large scale, it makes all the difference

Ironically "personal responsibility" tends to be the mantra of individualists

Yet cold hard reality shows that individualists do not believe what they preach

thewobbler

Quote from: sid waddell on October 17, 2020, 11:41:43 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2020, 11:17:20 PM
By the way Sid. In case you deliberately missed it. When I described you as dealing in extremes, it is in how you label anyone querying government policy on Covid as a "Covid denier". That's extremism of the most extreme form. Basically you contort anyone raising an eyebrow to your viewpoint into being on your right, and therefore a right wing fascist murdering **** who hates people, and can only feel like this because they've been duped by some websites only you've ever heard of.

You're an extremist buddy. Property extreme.
That's quite the post

One could almost say it's extremist in its desperate attempt to play the man, not the ball

Which is quite the irony given that it's a post which tries to set you up as doing the opposite

But I guess you just couldn't help yourself and lunged in, a bit like Richarlison today

No I think you'll find that I moved this particular observation out on its own to allow me to clearly play the man, but separately.

There's no irony here. None. There's no lunge. Not even close. I haven't evaded a question and I never do.

But for reasons unknown to anyone but you, you emptied one of your paranoid anti-right wing tirades about 10 posts ago. There was no reason for it.

I've previously described you as an AI who has only a set number of phrases. Now I'm wondering if you have a nervous tic.

Something isn't quite right anyway. Your progression of every discussion from slight disagreement to labelling people as fascist brainwashed right wing lowlifes is both extraordinary and extraordinarily consistent.

thewobbler

Quote from: sid waddell on October 17, 2020, 11:52:04 PM
Sid if cases are rising all across Europe, which they are, you really should start asking yourself whether limiting crowds at outdoor venues for a sport which is only played in Ireland, is part of that pattern.
Go back to the point

Crowds at GAA matches as well as celebrations have contributed, and likely quite significantly, to the spread of Covid

You were simply wrong in what you said - it was not a bad faith attack on the GAA at all but one element of a good faith attempt to try and stop the spread of the virus - but your attack was an obvious bad faith character assassination on the part of those making the regulations

It is in fact the GAA which has contributed to a bad faith attack on society by continually cocking two fingers at the effort to stop the spread of the virus

An organisation which is supposed to be about community well being decided it didn't care not just about the well being of the country, but of the very local communities its supposed to represent

Covid cases are rising across Europe. Everywhere. The pattern you'll find is that humans are social creatures, and will go out of their way to meet each other. The pattern you won't find is that places where attendance at outdoor sporting venues was strictly limited to 200 people, have kept it under control.

Humans are indeed social creatures, but the more close social contact there is during this pandemic, the more the virus will spread

The pattern you'll find is that the more people avoid close social contact, the less the virus has the potential to spread

But what else is portraying a reduction in crowd size as "an attack on the GAA" other than a bullshit narrative

You should take up this point about us being social creatures with the virus itself, maybe it'll listen and make an exception where it won't spread during club GAA games and celebrations, a sort of a ceasefire, maybe a bit like those three day IRA ceasefires at Christmas back in the day

Almost none (certainly I can't think of any) of these countries have coordinated community games on a level of frequency and structure as the GAA.

But you know what people do when associations don't provide facilities? They meet up anyway. In beaches, lakes, parks, pubs, restaurants, swimming pools, theme parks, shopping centres, schools, work, public buildings.

Did the GAA prevent the spread of Covid this year? No. Did it cause the spread of Covid this year, equally no.

The fact is that attitudes like yours, multiplied on a large scale, are what enable the spread

Where individuals refuse to take responsibility and do everything to exercise their own personal NIMBYism

Because individualists like you will always find an excuse not to exercise personal responsibility

The mindset is that "ah, shure it'll spread anyway", and my individual behaviour will make no difference

As for this. I don't really know where to go here. You've contrived me as someone with no personal responsibility. It couldn't be further from the truth. But you see fit to portray me this way because I don't see any harm in small crowds gathering in large outdoor venues.

More interesting is your anti-GAA rant a few posts ago, where you derived this one from. I shouldn't be surprised at this. You're an exceptionally political person. Even when politics has no place, you (like Edwin Poots) will try to find an angle. So you've gone after an institution that didn't exactly follow your narrow view on handling Covid.

Take a breath man. The world isn't out to get you.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2020, 12:22:47 AM
Go back to the point

As for this. I don't really know where to go here. You've contrived me as someone with no personal responsibility. It couldn't be further from the truth. But you see fit to portray me this way because I don't see any harm in small crowds gathering in large outdoor venues.

More interesting is your anti-GAA rant a few posts ago, where you derived this one from. I shouldn't be surprised at this. You're an exceptionally political person. Even when politics has no place, you (like Edwin Poots) will try to find an angle. So you've gone after an institution that didn't exactly follow your narrow view on handling Covid.

The world certainly isn't out to get me and never have I claimed anything remotely of the sort

Unlike you with your attempt to frame good faith restrictions on crowd sizes as an attack on the GAA and people like you

NIMBYism

In terms of personal responsibility, I don't have to mendaciously portray you as anything, I just let the facts speak for themselves

Edwin Poots has nothing to do with any of this, but sure fire away with your attempts to link me to him all you like, sure you might as well throw Jim Allister and maybe Jamie Bwyson in there too while you're at it

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2020, 12:22:47 AM
Go back to the point

not getting involved in whatever you and sid are at but
the GAA didnt follow basic guidelines not whatever sids narrow view on handling covid is..

From Croke pk to individual club members social distancing was not adhered to and numbers at matches was not adhered to. this was very clear in numerous televised matches, not accounting for social events linked to gaa matches. It is not anti GAA and the GAA have even acknowledged this. 

When an organisation and its members which is so central to so many people and communities across the island can not get it right what hope do we have of opening up again and not ending up back in the same position again.

sid waddell

It's quite bizarre that somebody would attempt to portray somebody who has been posting on a GAA forum for nearly two decades (I well remember the glory days of Bummer and Tony Fearon and Hardyarse The Fiddler) as "anti-GAA"

But I suppose when somebody wants to manufacture a fake reality around their confirmation bias, it's hardly surprising

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2020, 10:40:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 17, 2020, 10:10:57 PM
Life can be very long, short is 38, the age a very good club mate of mine that died recently. Angelo, you are full of shit and a reincarnation of the WUM's we've had on here for years

See I don't think this is fair at all MR2. I've lost two very club mates at the same age in the past decade, from cancer. Covid might be dangerous, it might be topical, but it must not enjoy a monopoly on compassion.

One of Angelo's recurring points in the past 50 pages has been that Covid is trumping all other forms of essential care, and querying whether we will regret this move. Please don't now evolve this into Covid trumping all other forms of compassion.

We've all lost friends family during all periods none of which I'd accept or just say, f**k it it's their time. The lack of empathy is embarrassing and if you are on the  same page then you also have issues.

Nothing trumps death, nothing. To trivialise it is wrong. If there is a way of combating it I'll take that route. I won't accept that it's my time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

MR2 I'm not trivialising death nor is my empathy waning.

My point, perhaps poorly explained, is that every early death is a tragedy. It's unfair on whoever you are debating with though to empty a highly personalised emotional death upon them, as if early death is a uniquely Covid tragedy.

thewobbler

Sid just for the record I never described you as anti-GAA. I'd described your stance of blaming the GAA for Covid rises as being anti-GAA (which is reminiscent of Poots this week), as when you step back and look at the big figures across Europe, Covid is rising similarly in both GAA strongholds and places where the game has never been seen.

Surely a man of your GAABoard experience could at least be savvy enough to read what's written rather than latch onto something that wasn't said?

thewobbler

PHP - here's my understanding / interpretation of things. Covid began rising again once people started spending more time indoors once summer had passed. For example, while September in Portugal might be a balmy 18 degrees for an Irishman, it's a cold 18 degrees for a Portuguese, and they will migrate indoors.

Did summertime GAA matches where attendances were marginally exceeded and people from the samE community sat in close proximity for 90 minutes help spread the virus? Honestly, no. Because if that was the case, then Covid would have been everywhere all summer: outdoor  training, beer gardens, beaches, parks, promenades would  have ensured it.

Did post match celebrations help facilitate the spread of Covid? Absolutely no doubt at all. But the only way for the GAA to prevent this happening would have been to ban championship football, camogie and hurling outright. If you want to quibble with a GAA policy, I think it's here you should look.

——

Young people started gathering indoors again extensively in September, in pubs and house parties. That's a key reason why the virus has spread again. This would have happened regardless of GAA finals. This is surely obvious by the likewise rises across Europe.

——

Reopening schools has been a factor of N compared to the GAA in the spread of Covid. As was Eat Out to Help Out. But that's an uncomfortable thought process for many to take.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2020, 09:34:24 AM
Sid just for the record I never described you as anti-GAA. I'd described your stance of blaming the GAA for Covid rises as being anti-GAA (which is reminiscent of Poots this week), as when you step back and look at the big figures across Europe, Covid is rising similarly in both GAA strongholds and places where the game has never been seen.

Surely a man of your GAABoard experience could at least be savvy enough to read what's written rather than latch onto something that wasn't said?
But the attitude in the GAA over the last couple of months has been disgraceful, led from the very top, and summed up at local level by your reactions

An organisation which behaves in a way which encourages virus spread deserves to be heavily criticised for it

What you are doing is professional fogging and obfuscation on behalf of that organisation - running interference

You are saying that an organisation which has the capacity to act responsibly, but didn't, should not be criticised

It's unfortunate that clubs which it appears have behaved responsibly such as Charleville get tainted by association with the Blackrocks of this world

But this "we're not responsible" line has come from the top, so therefore it's not surprising that irresponsible behaviour has spread like dry rot throughout the organisation

Frankly, if we're in a similar position in 2021, club GAA has now proved beyond doubt that it should either not go ahead at all, or go ahead on a strictly non-competitive basis, with no championships or trophies awarded

Thanks again for the Edwin Poots comparison, it's unintentionally quite funny and just goes again to prove the point about your fake victimhood

Aybody who criticises the behaviour at GAA games is now Edwin Poots

That's not much of an argument, is it

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2020, 09:46:59 AM
PHP - here's my understanding / interpretation of things. Covid began rising again once people started spending more time indoors once summer had passed. For example, while September in Portugal might be a balmy 18 degrees for an Irishman, it's a cold 18 degrees for a Portuguese, and they will migrate indoors.

Did summertime GAA matches where attendances were marginally exceeded and people from the samE community sat in close proximity for 90 minutes help spread the virus? Honestly, no. Because if that was the case, then Covid would have been everywhere all summer: outdoor  training, beer gardens, beaches, parks, promenades would  have ensured it.

Did post match celebrations help facilitate the spread of Covid? Absolutely no doubt at all. But the only way for the GAA to prevent this happening would have been to ban championship football, camogie and hurling outright. If you want to quibble with a GAA policy, I think it's here you should look.

——

Young people started gathering indoors again extensively in September, in pubs and house parties. That's a key reason why the virus has spread again. This would have happened regardless of GAA finals. This is surely obvious by the likewise rises across Europe.

——

Reopening schools has been a factor of N compared to the GAA in the spread of Covid. As was Eat Out to Help Out. But that's an uncomfortable thought process for many to take.

wobbler i never associated all the breaches of the basic covid guidance with the increases if you read my post again.

im sure it contributed but there are many other reasons so blaming a single area is not a constructive thing to do.

my point was if the gaa, an organisation at the heart of most communities across the island didnt adhere to basic covid guidance, where is the hope for wider society who take there cues from the people closed to them normally..

in fact a point you made previously makes it worst, as you said other countries dont have the gaa and are seeing increases so we in ireland with the gaa were in a unique position for the GAA to drive home and lead by example with following basic covid guidance. IMO every level of the GAA failed in this aspect after such a bright start in March supporting vulnerable people with food delieveies etc.  It was massively disappointing when we needed grassroots leadership as we came out if the 1st lockdown, the Gaa failed.

Rossfan

If Johnny puts his finger in the fire do I have to follow suit?
If thick gobsh1tes sat on top of each other at matches do I also have to?
If GAA Co Boards made no effort to ensure/enforce Social distancing at matches did I also have to ignore it?

Remember it's not Governments or Doctors or Organisations who can prevent/reduce the spread of Covid.

It's YOU!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Sid do you believe the rising cases is down to the GAA? If you do then you can be put in the same bracket as Poots, if on the other hand you believe it's not helped the rise of cases alongside wet bars being opened, colleges reopened schools reopened other close contact services reopened then you are not the same as Poots.

All these factors, and forgetting what's happening across the world, the North's rise in case is down to the general public being complacent and not following simple guidelines.

The reason it spreads is because people are not social distancing they are not using sanitizer or washing hands. Even ones that have been in known contact with someone who's been positive haven't isolated!

I was at club games in Antrim and what happened at the pitch and after the games was brilliant, what happened after they left the pitch becomes an individual decision to break the rules, the pubs that allowed it to happen broke the rules. If there was rule breaks at the ground then yes blame that county board, there are 32 county boards, how many broke guidelines?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea